What are we teaching the youth.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LN, I always enjoy and respect your posts but here I have to disagree with you. I think you've taken what I said a bit out of context. I certainly don't think that backing out on your word is what Coach Cobb wants to teach his players. That being said, surely you can see that there is more to this than simply coaching football. It appears to me, from reading the article that someone posted in the numerous threads on the subject, that Coach Cobb's family wasn't ever exactly sold on the idea of going to Henderson Co. They were simply just offering him their support and encouraging him to do something they knew he wanted to do. I think that when the reality of the situation set in, they may have shared their true feelings a little bit more. I understand Coach Cobb has a son who is HS age. I'm sure that a move at this point would be a difficult thing for that young man. I don't know about you, but I can never fault a man for wanting to do right by his family.

I agree with you that Coach Cobb probably had a good idea of the scenario that he was getting into. But as the saying goes, seeing and doing are two different things. Maybe being immersed in the situation for a week or so out in Henderson Co. left him with some different feelings on the subject. I don't know, just speculation on my part.

Finally, I'll ask you this: Suppose Coach Cobb walked into his interview and demanded to know more about the goings on at Henderson Co.(lawsuits, etc.) Along with that suppose that he went into the interview and said I need this thing, and that thing, and this as well. Do you think he gets the job? Of course not. You don't go into an interview and make demands, that is simply not how the process works. You present your plan, and if you are offered the job then you can work out the details at that point. Maybe some details couldn't be agreed upon? There is much, much more to coaching positions than just coaching. You having teaching jobs(for his wife and himself) to consider, as well as facilities, budget, scheduling, etc, etc. All I'm trying to convey is that there is often much more than meets the eye when it comes to these situations.

I think K3 said it best "Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes".

And I likewise enjoy and respect your posts. And the fact that we disagree on this issue and any other one for that matter, will not lessen my respect for you.

As to the question asked of me in the bolded part, I've switched law firms several times. If I didn't get all my questions fully answered, I didn't even think of making the move. Also, I've interviewed attorneys wanting to join my firm. I highly respected those attorneys that asked a lot of probative questions and wondered about those who didn't ask a lot of questions. I never felt I was making demands when I asked questions of a new firm I was thinking of joining, nor I did I feel attorneys considering joining my firm were making demands when they asked me a lot of questions. I always felt it was better to find out the problems/issues/concerns and address them before a change was made. The situation involving Coach Cobb seemingly validates that line of thinking doesn't it? Furthermore, when you are going to be moving your family half way across the state (particularly with kids changing high schools) and you are leaving a job in which you are highly successful, don't you think you'd normally be dang certain about the new opportunity before you accepted it, wouldn't you?

Again, I'm not saying Coach Cobb is a bad person. Not even close. But I do think he sent the wrong message in how he handled this and to some extent his supporters are doing the same thing on here.

What he did is not the end of the world. He screwed up. Life goes on and things will work out. But I just don't agree with some of the rationalization for his actions.

Finally I'll ask my question of you again: how would you feel if the roles had been reversed? It was Henderson whom changed its mind 5 days after Cobb had accepted the job and after he had told his family and his team that he was leaving Somerset. Would you have any problem with that?

It's funny, no one from Somerset seems to mind Coach Cobb's leaving and then deciding to come back...perhaps that is a sign that he IS an excellent coach/mentor. So good, in fact, that his people wished him well when he left, even though it was so late, and then, after leaving, they opened their arms to him again and have made no complaints. So then, why don't you ask the people of Somerset what Jay Cobb is teaching the youth of today? I'd say their answer is a bit more flattering than many of the views on here.

We were upset when Coach Cobb left, but nearly everyone I know had no ill will towards him for his leaving. Through the uncertainity of needing a new coach everyone was very concerned, but still no ill will towards the Coach. Upon Coach Cobb wanting to return, I have not heard one parent or player that was upset with that decision. Coach Cobb has done a good job coaching Somerset in the past and we are all glad he is back to continue to grow the program.

WELCOME BACK

COACH COBB

GO JUMPERS!!! :dancingpa

What are we teaching our youth? One thing I see here that we are teaching them is to jump on the bad wagon, and go for the jugler before we really know what happened. I can tell you from experience. I accepted a job. Then the company that I was going to work for decided that they did not want to give me the large signing bonus that they verbally agreed upon. Only my wife and a few close friends knew the real reason I told them to keep there job. Sure the arm chair quarterbacks came out in droves.

I don't even know who Coach Cobb is. I'm sure if you have a real problem with what he did he would be glad to meet with you. Most coaches will meet with anyone. It might be better than kicking him in the teeth on here.

Why not teach our youth to find out facts before we attack someone. Just a thought.

What are we teaching our youth? One thing I see here that we are teaching them is to jump on the bad wagon, and go for the jugler before we really know what happened. I can tell you from experience. I accepted a job. Then the company that I was going to work for decided that they did not want to give me the large signing bonus that they verbally agreed upon. Only my wife and a few close friends knew the real reason I told them to keep there job. Sure the arm chair quarterbacks came out in droves.

I don't even know who Coach Cobb is. I'm sure if you have a real problem with what he did he would be glad to meet with you. Most coaches will meet with anyone. It might be better than kicking him in the teeth on here.

Why not teach our youth to find out facts before we attack someone. Just a thought.

Jeepman you raise a good point. Then again, the newspaper articles I have read about the matter attribute the decision to not stay at Henderson simply to a simple change of heart by Coach. Thus with those being the only known facts, that is all people can rely on to form their opinions. Is it possible that Henderson reneged on something? Sure its possible but unless Coach or Henderson tells us that, we'll never know it. But all we know is what we know and that is 5 days after accepting the job, Coach changed his mind and he reneged on a commitment he made to Henderson. Its that simple.

That doesn't make him an evil person or even a bad person. No one has stated such. Lots of very good people make and do dumb things occasionally. The fact that they are good people does not make the dumb thing not be a dumb thing however. And the fact that a good person does a dumb thing doesn't mean the person is no longer a good person either.

As for having a real problem with what Coach did and needing to meet with him to discuss it, what's that all about. Using your standard, there would be zero posts on here criticizing a referee's call; a coach's play calling; alleged running up of the score; etc. etc unless the poster first had confronted the ref, the player, the coach, etc. ect.

If you read my posts over the history of this place, I have been one of the last people to ever criticize a program, coach or a player. And I'm trying to be fair in my comments about Coach and not over react. What he did is not the end of the world. But whether its Coach Cobb, Coach Mueller, my former law partner who did this exact same thing or anyone else, I just think its wrong to accept a job from a new employer and then reverse course a few days later. It is certainly nothing personal with Coach. If stating that what someone did is wrong in my opinion is kicking someone's teeth in, you and I have a very different understanding of that phrase. And if you don't think its wrong what Coach did, so be it. I respectfully disagree with your conclusion and opinion however.

Perhaps that's another message we can teach our children: that we should be tolerant of other people's opinions.

I do know Coach Cobb. I am glad that he decided to stay at Somerset. The objection I have to his issue is that he make public his decision to take the job at Henderson via several media outlets. Since his change of mind, he has made NO media statement concening such. I think that he owes it to the public, friends and foe...As far as kicking him in the teeth, as Jeepman implies, is only to be expected when one does not justify his actions openly as he did (Coach Cobb) when he decided to leave Somerset... Furthermore, I feel that this Board, forums, and threads are explicitly designed for us to expess our Opinions in a legitimate way...:thumb:

I do know Coach Cobb. I am glad that he decided to stay at Somerset. The objection I have to his issue is that he make public his decision to take the job at Henderson via several media outlets. Since his change of mind, he has made NO media statement concening such. I think that he owes it to the public, friends and foe...As far as kicking him in the teeth, as Jeepman implies, is only to be expected when one does not justify his actions openly as he did (Coach Cobb) when he decided to leave Somerset... Furthermore, I feel that this Board, forums, and threads are explicitly designed for us to expess our Opinions in a legitimate way...:thumb:

Kemosabee did you get this information from the same source that told you Coach Sharpe played quarterback at Somerset? You really need to read the local paper before you say stuff like that. Here's a link to last week's story:

http://www.somerset-kentucky.com/archivesearch/local_story_170092805.html

Kemosabee did you get this information from the same source that told you Coach Sharpe played quarterback at Somerset? You really need to read the local paper before you say stuff like that. Here's a link to last week's story:

http://www.somerset-kentucky.com/archivesearch/local_story_170092805.html

I never got any info on the Coach Cobb issue from anywhere. I merely had not read that article. I have now, and see his decision a little clearer. Thanks for the link. Also, another issue you brought up was my mis-information on Sharpe. I formed my Opinion of Sharpe playing quarterback as a result of his profile in the 2003(I'll Check)SWHS football program where it mentioned he played Football and Basketball at SHS. I guess it was mentioned in jest and I took it for real. I am always open for the real facts. So did Sharpe play football as his profile states or was he an announcer(as some say). All I know is that he has coached around alot and I thought he would be a reasonable choice for Somerset as he was an Alumni(and I thought he played quarterback on the football team). Just trying to commend...Not condemn...In checkin I errored. That was the 2001 SWHS Football program whe he stated he was a had played football...

Coach Cobb had an one on one interview on the radio last week with John Burlew. He also has been quoted, as mentioned, in the local paper. Hard to be quoted unless you have talked to the media. I think you been smokin too much "wompum" down there on the reservation.

Coach Cobb had an one on one interview on the radio last week with John Burlew. He also has been quoted, as mentioned, in the local paper. Hard to be quoted unless you have talked to the media. I think you been smokin too much "wompum" down there on the reservation.
Do not start making accusions you cannot support plus this is not the forum for that kind of talk. We do have kids on this Board and talk of such(wompum) should not be acceptable here...:fight:

Do not start making accusions you cannot support plus this is not the forum for that kind of talk. We do have kids on this Board and talk of such(wompum) should not be acceptable here...:fight:

Easy now fellas, isn't wampum a type of Indian Currency? I don't think Kemosabee has been lighting up any dollar bills. Evidently he just doesn't read the local paper or listen to the newspaper. As for the SW Media guide I know Coach Sharpe well and I know that there is no way he would have claimed to have played quarterback or even played football for the Jumpers. He played basketball and became a football coach through interest and hard work. Not because he played in high school. I don't know who put that in there but I'm sure it wasn't Coach Sharpe. The brother-in-law of Coach A was the quarterback while Coach Sharpe was at Somerset so I know that SW's staff was aware of that. Evidently someone tried to fill out a bio just took it for granted that Coach Sharpe played there and made a mistake. I seriously doubt Steve or Coach A put that out there.

Easy now fellas, isn't wampum a type of Indian Currency? I don't think Kemosabee has been lighting up any dollar bills. Evidently he just doesn't read the local paper or listen to the newspaper. As for the SW Media guide I know Coach Sharpe well and I know that there is no way he would have claimed to have played quarterback or even played football for the Jumpers. He played basketball and became a football coach through interest and hard work. Not because he played in high school. I don't know who put that in there but I'm sure it wasn't Coach Sharpe. The brother-in-law of Coach A was the quarterback while Coach Sharpe was at Somerset so I know that SW's staff was aware of that. Evidently someone tried to fill out a bio just took it for granted that Coach Sharpe played there and made a mistake. I seriously doubt Steve or Coach A put that out there.
Exactly right there. Keemosabee surely does burn alot of money. I thought "wampum" was something illegal. All I know is that I do have a copy of said program right in front of me. I will venture out with my opinion. When I am in the wrong, I will accept it like a Man. But when the facts are cold and hard in my favor please accept as such...

That would be "Coach" Sharpe that filled out the bio. I even asked the person doing the program if he (Sharpe) filled it out and we discussed it being in the wrong. The person doing the program said he wouldn't/couldn't change it because that's what Sharpe had written. If I can get with Keemosabee, I'll try to scan the program "bio" and PM it to you. (and anyone else who wants to see it.)

That would be "Coach" Sharpe that filled out the bio. I even asked the person doing the program if he (Sharpe) filled it out and we discussed it being in the wrong. The person doing the program said he wouldn't/couldn't change it because that's what Sharpe had written. If I can get with Keemosabee, I'll try to scan the program "bio" and PM it to you. (and anyone else who wants to see it.)
Thank you Warrior Princess.

Do I detect a Fraud? You can PM me and we can go from there...No wonder the Keemosabee was getting so much flak from some. I knew my eyes and ears did not fail me.It is ashame what limits some will go to live a LIE...:thumb:

To stay in compliance with this Thread Topic. What are some coaches doing? To flagrantly lie in a Football Program to thousands of readers(kids included) that you, as a Football Coach did play High School Football. What a deception. Players look up to their Coaches and respect them until they are proved unworthy of such respect. No disrespect to SHS, but what is going on there?