Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What are we teaching the youth.

Featured Replies

With the recent reversal of Somersets coach plus what happened with Florida we are teaching our kids that it is alright to make a commitment then say nay I changed my mind. I am sick and tired of hearing that it is okay!!! we need to teach our kids and youth that you make hard decisions you plan and talk them but once you commit you stick with it. What Somersets coach did is plain wrong and the Somerset administration is wrong for letting him come back.

  • Replies 48
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that a person's word is only as good as the deal it is based on. Being from Cincy, I look at Thad Matta. I was working at WLW when Andy Furman had him in studio right after he got to Xavier. Andy had asked him, if another school came to him with more than his Xavier deal, would he bolt. He sat there and never answered.

 

If you sign your name to a contract, you honor the contract to the end. It's not allright to up and leave when you still have a committment to the institution you gave your word to.

Part of being a coach, and a good one, is always looking to better your family's situation. We don't know what happened with coach Cobb at Henderson. I don't think its about getting the best "deal". Coaches have to look hard at the situation and what is best for his family.

Guys, a coaching job is like any other job. It happens all the time in the corporate world. There are legitimate reasons for changing one's mind, including family concerns. A person has to do what's right for themselves as a whole, not just in relation to the school they were/will be at. It's just the reality of working.

Part of being a coach, and a good one, is always looking to better your family's situation. We don't know what happened with coach Cobb at Henderson. I don't think its about getting the best "deal". Coaches have to look hard at the situation and what is best for his family.

Part of being a coach is also; love of the game, loving to teach, and loving the youth. Quick, unthoughout hard decisions made, then reversed effecting others is a detriment to all involved. Good sound decision making is a definite part of being a coach...:thumb:

  • Author

I agree that these are very hard decisions and what is right for the family should weigh heavily in the decision. But this should be done BEFORE you accept the new position. Once you accept and resign from old job you have made a commitment. We are teaching our kids that it is alright to quit or to commit then change your mind.

I agree that these are very hard decisions and what is right for the family should weigh heavily in the decision. But this should be done BEFORE you accept the new position. Once you accept and resign from old job you have made a commitment. We are teaching our kids that it is alright to quit or to commit then change your mind.

 

I have to disagree. There are always some aspects of a job that just can't be determined until one actually arrives and begins the process. I would think it would be more of a disservice to a future employer to stay and be unhappy than to admit the mistake and allow all concerned to move on.

  • Author

Try to give your two weeks notice and start your new job in the work world and see if you can change your mind. 9 times out of 10 no. Somerset's coach has showed his team that it is alright to quit and come back and say I made a mistake. More should be expected from the leaders of these young men. If I would have been the Super no way he comes back.

High School Coaches do not get a salary from coaching, where they could provide for their families solely. They are also getting a teachers salary, or must find a job, outside of the school system.

 

If the salary range could permit providing for a family, without a need for teaching/2nd job, then more would have a valid argument. Is the fact a change happened or the fact, a coach is returning to the school, which has some upset.

 

Is the same applied to a coach, who's been at a school for 10yrs, then decides to leave for another position/job....Often acceptance, is done quickly and factors like home selling, purchasing, jobs for spouse, children, new school facilities, support, etc...can't get adequately considered.

OBC I understand your frustration and your point but I tend to disagree with your hard-line stance. Admitting a mistake and owning up to it is also a valuable life lesson and a pretty darn good one. Coach's are NOT infallable and that is a pretty good lesson too. Making the commitment and sticking to your word is very, very important and most of us are held accountable for those types of decisions. In that regard I'm 100% with you. However, if a coach is leaving on good terms, finds that he has made a poor decision for himself, his family and/or his future, he certainly has the right to ask for his job back and be taken seriously. I don't think there was any animosity in the Somerset situation so I think all's well that ends well.

It seems that a person's word is only as good as the deal it is based on. Being from Cincy, I look at Thad Matta. I was working at WLW when Andy Furman had him in studio right after he got to Xavier. Andy had asked him, if another school came to him with more than his Xavier deal, would he bolt. He sat there and never answered.
You can't honestly expect a coach to not listen when another school, a program that gives them a better chance to make more money or contend for a championship, comes calling.

 

Matta responded the way he should have in the scenario you presented.

Part of being a coach is also; love of the game, loving to teach, and loving the youth. Quick, unthoughout hard decisions made, then reversed effecting others is a detriment to all involved. Good sound decision making is a definite part of being a coach...:thumb:

 

There is no doubt these coaches love the game and the kids, its sure not the money they make. Everyone has a stance and can make a great point on both sides of this argument. Somerset is probably happy to have him back and there is probably a feeling of relief in that community. It sounds like he is well liked by parents and kids alike. Lets hope both programs, Somerset and Henderson are happy with the final outcome and support the kids and coaches in there respective communities.

 

Positive reinforcement is vital, especially from the community, the kids and coaches need and will move forward like nothing happened!

With the recent reversal of Somersets coach plus what happened with Florida we are teaching our kids that it is alright to make a commitment then say nay I changed my mind. I am sick and tired of hearing that it is okay!!! we need to teach our kids and youth that you make hard decisions you plan and talk them but once you commit you stick with it. What Somersets coach did is plain wrong and the Somerset administration is wrong for letting him come back.

Well I would have to tend to agree with this if the following weren't true about coaching:

 

1. Neither side is completely upfront in the interview process about what they have/want/need.

2. We're not talking about life changing money here, these guys make pennies on the hour. If it is your profession, that's one thing, but surely you can see that there is more to it than just coaching?

3. I'd say loyalty to your family is a pretty good lesson to teach young kids. So is admitting when you were wrong. In reading about this it seems his wife and kids were telling him to go after it, when that may not have been what was really in their hearts. I'm sure after his visit the realization set in that this would actually be happening and maybe some other thoughts were conveyed.

4. I'm not saying this is the case, but there have been several issues surrounding the Henderson Co. football program in recent years. After visiting the coach may have decided, "you know what, I think I have a better situation in Somerset". Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better.

Well I would have to tend to agree with this if the following weren't true about coaching:

 

1. Neither side is completely upfront in the interview process about what they have/want/need.

2. We're not talking about life changing money here, these guys make pennies on the hour. If it is your profession, that's one thing, but surely you can see that there is more to it than just coaching?

3. I'd say loyalty to your family is a pretty good lesson to teach young kids. So is admitting when you were wrong. In reading about this it seems his wife and kids were telling him to go after it, when that may not have been what was really in their hearts. I'm sure after his visit the realization set in that this would actually be happening and maybe some other thoughts were conveyed.

4. I'm not saying this is the case, but there have been several issues surrounding the Henderson Co. football program in recent years. After visiting the coach may have decided, "you know what, I think I have a better situation in Somerset". Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better.

 

 

Great point about being upfront during the process!

According to what I've read, Florida was happy to have Donovan back, and the Hawks were content to let him back out of that deal. This means all parties agreed to what transpired. Sometimes decisions are correctly reversed. Sometimes there are repurcussions. You must weigh many factors when making such enormous (financially, logiistically and family impacting) decisions.

 

The old saying is contracts are written to be broken. However, one measure of a man is his ability to deliver on his promise. You cannot say changing your mind is always good or always bad. The devil is in the details.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.