A question concerning NCLB

Is it true that the KHSAA will not recognize the No Child Left Behind Act? I have heard from a number of sources that if a school was failing and my child attended that school, they would have to sit out a full year of athletics, if my child transfered schools, and we did not move. First, is this true? Second, if it is could someone please explain to me why it is true? Again, I am not fully educated on the subject, so if anyone could help I would appreciate it!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the in-put! Is there anything that I can do, I can not afford to move but I want my son to go to a better school, I also want him to play football.

First, I wouldn't take my word as 100% true. I guess you could contact the KHSAA to see if they can answer the question.

Second, I'd check with any others from your current school that have been in the same situation.

Has your son already played a varsity sport in grade 9 or higher?

Just because a school is in decline on a federal test doesn't mean it is a bad school.

I just don't like the stigma that my child attends in a school of decline. I want my child to have a great education, and to play sports if he chooses too. I will of course pick the education before sports, but my point is, is that I should not have to choose either for my child, he should be able to have both.

I just don't like the stigma that my child attends in a school of decline. I want my child to have a great education, and to play sports if he chooses too. I will of course pick the education before sports, but my point is, is that I should not have to choose either for my child, he should be able to have both.

After the 2008 Presidential election, NCLB will be no more because the new President will have a new plan for the schools, so all of this will be very short term.

I don't have the schools, but it seems to me that a handful of the schools that have done well on the CATS testing here in KY were declining on NCLB. One politicians' test they were doing well. Another politicians' test and they weren't.

After the 2008 Presidential election, NCLB will be no more because the new President will have a new plan for the schools, so all of this will be very short term.

I don't have the schools, but it seems to me that a handful of the schools that have done well on the CATS testing here in KY were declining on NCLB. One politicians' test they were doing well. Another politicians' test and they weren't.

Yes, some Kentucky kids/schools are doing well, but when you compare them to what others are doing nationwide, they are still lagging behind, so you can have what you are stating above. If we as a Commonwealth and or citizens didn't have to compete with other states for jobs etc. then there would be no problem but we do, so our kids while they are increasing their own CATS scores which is great, seem to be keep falling behind compared to others nationwide.....

You know the one big problem with the CATS testing in Kentucky is that you are comparing yourself against yourself. I love the idea of using the ACT test as a tool to see how Kentucky ranks against other states and students. When my daughter was in grade school the Catholic Grade School she attended used (I think they were called) California Aptitude Test. These test showed how your school, and your child were doing, compared to the rest of the Country, not just against Kentucky, and her school and my daughter did rather well on these tests....compared to the rest of the Country....

He has played one yr of varsity, well on special teams!

Does anyone know why I have to make an unfair choice?

Here it is in a nut shell

If I choose for my son to have a better education according to the standards set by our government my son will sit out one year of sports. Unless I move which I can not afford so that is out of the question.

Or I can choose for my son the oppertunity to play sports and learn all of the lessons that sports do teach a person, but in turn sacrifice the academic side of school and keep him where it is sub-par.

Now some might say let your son sit out one year and this will all be over with, that is probably what I will have to do, but I know that my son more than likely will not get to play college ball, so that means that he will only have four years of elligability to him. I will take away one year, because the school I sent him to did not meet the standards of our national policy. So because the school failed my son must get punished by the KHSAA, because...

This is where I can not find the answer, why does the KHSAA not recognize the fact that some schools fail our children. What is their rationale?

If the federal government recognizes that some school simply do not perform like they should why doesn't the KHSAA?

If the KHSAA does recognize that some schools do fail then why do they wish to not allow those student athletes their elligability rights and allow them to move to a better school district with full elligability. Is it the child's fault the school failed, what did the child have to do with it, logically the child had nothing to do with this, so why must my child be punished?

Thanks to everyone that can help me find this answer out? :thumb:

Sounds like if you're that concerned about the level of education that your current school provides and you cannot move that you will have to bite the bullet and have your son sit out a year. Rough choice but , in the long run, may be the best.

That is what I was thinking, but it does not sound fair does it?

Fair? I understand the KHSAA's thinking on it so I don't know if I would label it as "unfair." "Unfortunate" might be a better word.