Turkey Season Updates!

BigBlueFreak

He was soaked, so perhaps 1lb of water and stink. Good luck C'ville, if anyone can close the deal, it's C'ville. Tomorrow is when it looks like the day to be in the woods, and thankfully, Lord willing, I'll be out in God's beautiful creation trying to video one for a friend. Good Luck to all!!!!:thumb:

I am beginning to have my doubts. I have come to the conclusion after hunting extremely hard for three days that turkey hunting is a young man's game. I am sore in places that I didn't even know I had. I think all the squirrel in Johnson's Creek have one leg longer than the other so they can walk the steep hillsides.

Good luck to you also Doc and to all of our fellow BGP hunters. Hunt safely.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 0-3. I called several hens in my area and we had some great conversations. I told them how I was looking for Tom and Jake, they informed me that they were looking for them as well and we explained how we were unable to find them. The hens told me how they think that Tom and Jake are on some adjacent property, and unwilling to come over where we are, they think that Tom and Jake have some girl friends over their and does not want to leave them.

But, seriously I call several hens in real close and we talked back and forth, but not one single Tom or Jake. I could not even hear a gobble.

Well, I'll try to keep this short. This is the first time I've logged in since Friday. Sat. morn I promised a fellow I'd take him. Non'stop rain kept us in my popup blind until he froze out and said he'd had enough. I took him back to his vehicle, without hearing a single turkey, but the ridge we were on was more tore up than I've seen since I've hunted there. I met some friends and my dad and we went to another place, gave it the old college try and still no dice. Everyone was cold, tired and ready to pack it in. On my way home, I decided to go to a spot by myself that we have permission to hunt. (and I'd publicly like to thank YAKOFNORWEGIA for allowing me to tag along on the permission deal, that's as true a friend as you could ask for) I walked roads that were moderately green and actually "snuck up" on 4 hens all within shotgun range. Again, no turkey talk makes it difficult. However, when the rain is coming down, turkeys are out of the timber, and you can get away with a bit of movement, so I proceeded about 2 miles from the truck where YAK had seen the most turkey sign (I called him on the phone while I was there) I walked to the end of the property and was finished "walking" when I was about to turn back and what did the Lord place in the last turn in the road????? Yep, 24lb., 10inch beard, 1" spurs longbeard drinking from a puddle, he raised his head up and his beard was still in the puddle, and he drank for the last time. Granted, I've killed a pile of turkeys from several states over the years, I worked harder for that bird through the rain than any other I can recall. I left my vest in the truck because I knew I would not be calling much, and stuck a diaphragm in my cheek and left, and had to haul the 24lber out 2+ miles back to the truck over my shoulder. The creek I crossed earlier was now 5-6 feet wide at it's narrowist point, so I pitched Tom over and jumped across ripping my Gore-Tex britches to boot. So, I wondered after having to climb the mountain to the truck, was it worth it???? You're dern skippy!!!

Good luck to everybody, now I'm retiring the shotgun and gonna try to poke one with an arrow.

So much for short and sweet! That's the way it is with turkey hunters!:lol:

Great story and Congrats on the 24lb. longbeard doc!! :thumb: You definately earned that one ;) . I might try that turkey hunting one day, I don't know if I can get one to hit a jig, spinnerbait, crankbait or plastic worm though :confused: :D .

Great story and Congrats on the 24lb. longbeard doc!! :thumb: You definately earned that one ;) . I might try that turkey hunting one day, I don't know if I can get one to hit a jig, spinnerbait, crankbait or plastic worm though :confused: :D .

:laugh: :laugh:

Went out this morning, beautiful morning to hunt. I saw several hens and what appered to be a couple jakes. Then the avid road hunters started thier moning off and I got frustrated and left.

On a side not, I believe they are gonna have to build a parking garage down on the game reserve to accomidate the large number of vehicles.:irked:

Went out this morning, beautiful morning to hunt. I saw several hens and what appered to be a couple jakes. Then the avid road hunters started thier moning off and I got frustrated and left.

On a side not, I believe they are gonna have to build a parking garage down on the game reserve to accomidate the large number of vehicles.:irked:

I'm not a hunter so fill me in with the lingo:confused: .....What is a road hunter and why are there vehicles on a game reserve?

I'm not a hunter so fill me in with the lingo:confused: .....What is a road hunter and why are there vehicles on a game reserve?

I believe road hunter indicates someone who tries to either harvest or find game from their vehicles, which is illegal.

Day four has passed and I have nothing to show except signs of being worn out. I heard one bird gobble just after daybreak and never heard a single gobble after that. It makes it tough when they are not vocal but that is why they call it hunting. I think the hunting pressure and the fact that they now have hens with them account for them being a little silent.

I'm going to give them a couple days off and try again on Saturday.

I went out this morning, stayed out until around 1:30. I think the weather has messed up the turkeys. I don't think the gobblers are with hens, I don't think they are trying to find hens yet. I have called many hens in, one by one, the hens are are still broken up, they are not in flocks yet. I have not heard a good gobble yet. I have not seen a single male turkey. I once again called several hens in very close, they are wanting to stay in deep brush, and not venture out in to the open. This is just my experience, it may just be me, or the area that I am hunting, but I hunted a different area today pretty far from where I have hunted the first three days and I experienced the same thing both places.

I went out this morning, stayed out until around 1:30. I think the weather has messed up the turkeys. I don't think the gobblers are with hens, I don't think they are trying to find hens yet. I have called many hens in, one by one, the hens are are still broken up, they are not in flocks yet. I have not heard a good gobble yet. I have not seen a single male turkey. I once again called several hens in very close, they are wanting to stay in deep brush, and not venture out in to the open. This is just my experience, it may just be me, or the area that I am hunting, but I hunted a different area today pretty far from where I have hunted the first three days and I experienced the same thing both places.

The gobblers that I watched yesterday were with several hens. I also saw a single gobbler with a hen. The hens are really cutting and are very vocal after flydown in the area that I am hunting which to me indicates heavy breeding activity. The gobblers you are hunting may have a roost site next to the hens, so gobbling would be less. If he has his girlfriends with him he has no reason to announce his presence. They also may have been called to prior to hunting season which changes the game plan tremendously.

You mentioned that the hens are by themselves. They break up in the prime breeding period and spend less time in flocks. The hen will fight for dominance just as an old boss gobbler will, that may be why they are responding to your calls. Maybe next one you call in will bring "ol tom" with her. It has been my experience through the years that the hens will be alone or will hang with a dominant gobbler until she begins to lay her eggs or the breeding period has stopped.Turkey normally do not regroup in flocks until later in the year (Sept.-Oct.) then you will see the hens with her brood and usually jakes with other jakes and longbeards with three to four in a group.

This time of the year it not unusual to see several gobblers together.

Maybe tomorrow will be your day. Hang in there and be persistent. If you don't hear any birds in the next few days, pm me and I would be more than glad to let you hunt my spot for a couple of days. Good luck.

The gobblers that I watched yesterday were with several hens. I also saw a single gobbler with a hen. The hens are really cutting and are very vocal after flydown in the area that I am hunting which to me indicates heavy breeding activity. The gobblers you are hunting may have a roost site next to the hens, so gobbling would be less. If he has his girlfriends with him he has no reason to announce his presence. They also may have been called to prior to hunting season which changes the game plan tremendously.

You mentioned that the hens are by themselves. They break up in the prime breeding period and spend less time in flocks. The hen will fight for dominance just as an old boss gobbler will, that may be why they are responding to your calls. Maybe next one you call in will bring "ol tom" with her. It has been my experience through the years that the hens will be alone or will hang with a dominant gobbler until she begins to lay her eggs or the breeding period has stopped.Turkey normally do not regroup in flocks until later in the year (Sept.-Oct.) then you will see the hens with her brood and usually jakes with other jakes and longbeards with three to four in a group.

Maybe tomorrow will be your day. Hang in there and be persistent. If you don't hear any birds in the next few days, pm me and I would be more than glad to let you hunt my spot for a couple of days. Good luck.

I heard a couple gobblers this morning too before they flew down and as soon as they hit the ground it was complete silence. I did see some jakes with some hens so I'm guessing they are bunching up pretty quick around here.

I was a little less then happy when I got home and typed my previous post. Maybe its just me, but the gobblers are not gobbling where I am hunting. But, I will be back out there tomorrow, maybe it will be better.