Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Turkey Season Updates!

Featured Replies

Well, FWIW, I was out today also. I was in prime turkey country. The only games in town gobbled 3 times on the limb and not at all on the ground. Called in one who came in silently to within 15 yds, I could have shot him stone dead, but I wasn't the shooter, and he just couldn't see him. Then we went to another place, I located a hot hen and we tried to get her fired up and I could faintly hear the gobbler drumming and again, I was not the shooter but the caller. The shooter got to within 40 yds of the gobbler when the hen saw something that caused her to flee like her feathers were on fire. Oh, well, someone said on here, "roosted ain't roasted" ;) . So, I'll give it a rest for a couple of days and try it again on Friday.:thumb:

  • Replies 78
  • Views 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

This evening I went out for a while and watched a field for a while with my decoys. Then I decided after a guy drove through the same field I was in I'd probably just leave. He came over and said he was sorry he didn't see my blind and that I was hunting in the wrong spot. He said I should be hunting this area, this is where they come out and pointed to a certain area. He was working on the other end. So i was standing there and the field made a U shape and I was hunting the right side of the U. So i was waiting at the point and decided I peek to the other side and what do I spy with my little eye! TOM, all fluffed up with 3 hens and a beard dragging the ground. I was about 120 yards away or so. The only chance I had at getting at him was up a logging road. So I crawled about 60 yards on my stomach up a rocky logging road. I was fortunate enough to keep a pile of brush between me and them for the most part. I got within 60 yards so of him. That's a far shot but I shoot three and half's so I was gonna take a chance. That was as far as I was gonna get. So I positioned myself on my rump with the gun on my knees. I waited for the tom to come from behind the brush pile which felt like an hour. He popped out and was all fluffed up and gobbling with every inch of him. I flipped the safety off and just as I was about to let freedom ring, the hens got spooked and they took off running. Turned out someone was driving up the other side of the road. Anyway...that was my evening. Enjoy!:rolleyes:

Remember, it's not the kill but the hunt that's important. Sounds like you guys are having a great time.

I killed a 21 pound tom with a 9 1/2 inch beard on Sunday and I called a 20 pound ,10 inch (paint brush) beard for my hunting partner on Tuesday. The birds have been gobbling a lot on the roost and then they have been lighting back up again about 11 o'clock in Pendelton Co. The birds seem more receptive after 11 o'clock, too many birds in the morning looking for tom's.

I killed a 21 pound tom with a 9 1/2 inch beard on Sunday and I called a 20 pound ,10 inch (paint brush) beard for my hunting partner on Tuesday. The birds have been gobbling a lot on the roost and then they have been lighting back up again about 11 o'clock in Pendelton Co. The birds seem more receptive after 11 o'clock, too many birds in the morning looking for tom's.

Congratulations to you and your partner!!!:banana:

 

I am currently getting ready to go downstairs to the lunchroom in my office and enjoy my formerly feathered lunch!!:D

Two of my friends and I had a great day hunting today, unfortunately we did not down a bird, but none the less we all enjoyed our selves and I think we have a decent bead on their habits in the area in which we are hunting.

 

Today was the first day that the birds in the area we are hunting gobbled. And they made up for lost time. One of the friends with me is an experienced deer hunter, but has never turkey hunted before. He was amazed at the amount of gobbles the turkeys were providing. And they kept answering till around 11:30.

 

Perhaps some of you could help me a little. It has been my experience that turkey usually like to come up hill, but not down hill to calls. Today, on three separate occasions I called a turkey up hill to about 10 feet from the top, and that is were they hung up and would not come any closer. I thought for sure that all three gobblers were dead, but they would not come out into the open field were I was waiting to greet them. This is on private land and the land owner says no one else is hunting on it and I have never seen any hunters on it. I was, in all three cases, set up in what most turkey hunters would call a perfect setting, and I was close to the roost, but did not flush any birds. There was no obstructions for the turkey to have to deal with, just walk ten more feet to the promised land.

 

The Turkeys were answering my calls with double-gobbles, and cutting be off when I was calling. I quit calling and let them gobble for 15min, and then I would call again and they were farther away and they would come back, this went on for about a hour each time, but none of them would come out of the tree line at the top of the hill. I have never seen this problem before. I have experienced every other problem, but not this one.

I killed a 21 pound tom with a 9 1/2 inch beard on Sunday and I called a 20 pound ,10 inch (paint brush) beard for my hunting partner on Tuesday. The birds have been gobbling a lot on the roost and then they have been lighting back up again about 11 o'clock in Pendelton Co. The birds seem more receptive after 11 o'clock, too many birds in the morning looking for tom's.

:thumb: Congrats. Good job!!!

Two of my friends and I had a great day hunting today, unfortunately we did not down a bird, but none the less we all enjoyed our selves and I think we have a decent bead on their habits in the area in which we are hunting.

 

Today was the first day that the birds in the area we are hunting gobbled. And they made up for lost time. One of the friends with me is an experienced deer hunter, but has never turkey hunted before. He was amazed at the amount of gobbles the turkeys were providing. And they kept answering till around 11:30.

 

Perhaps some of you could help me a little. It has been my experience that turkey usually like to come up hill, but not down hill to calls. Today, on three separate occasions I called a turkey up hill to about 10 feet from the top, and that is were they hung up and would not come any closer. I thought for sure that all three gobblers were dead, but they would not come out into the open field were I was waiting to greet them. This is on private land and the land owner says no one else is hunting on it and I have never seen any hunters on it. I was, in all three cases, set up in what most turkey hunters would call a perfect setting, and I was close to the roost, but did not flush any birds. There was no obstructions for the turkey to have to deal with, just walk ten more feet to the promised land.

 

The Turkeys were answering my calls with double-gobbles, and cutting be off when I was calling. I quit calling and let them gobble for 15min, and then I would call again and they were farther away and they would come back, this went on for about a hour each time, but none of them would come out of the tree line at the top of the hill. I have never seen this problem before. I have experienced every other problem, but not this one.

Ram, I don't have all the answers by any means but have hunted turkey since the 70's so I hope this can shed some light on your hunt this morning. I have experienced many gobblers coming to the edge of the ridge and stopping. They will then strectch that old rubber neck of theirs over the top to see what all the hen talk was about.I always try and set up on this edge so when they pop up they are within gun range. Usually when they stop, they can see far enough that they think the hen should have been there and they will come no closer, as in nature the hen usually will walk to the gobbler. When we call to a gobbler we are trying to reverse the process and it sometimes works like a charm and other times it gets frustrating. IMO there is no set rules. It sounds like you did all the right things. I hope this was of some help. Good luck.

I've not actually got to go yet. The weather wasn't in my favor this past weekend. However, as the weather has warmed up there has been some good signs on my farm. Hopefully this weekend I will get to bust that big boy!

I was going to take a break from hunting today but my old turkey alarm clock woke me up at 3 am. I decided to hunt and am glad that I did. Today was like the others with no shot taken but it was one of the better hunts in my lifetime. I think my turkey hunting skills are slipping away with old age as I made more mistakes today that normal. When daylight came I found myself sitting under two roosted gobblers. I never made a call as I normally do not call to roosted birds. I had 7 other turkey gobbling on the same ridge I was on so I wanted to be patient. These two roosted birds never flew down until around 7:30. and they landed to my left approx 60yds away. I began calling with some soft purrs and they answered me immediately. About 15 minutes later a longbeard came within 10 yds of me just off to my right, of course I was positioned to the left(as usual) The bird went behind a tree and as I tried to swing the gun he caught my movement and I was busted.(PUTT).

I had three other birds come to a call but each had hens and I couldn't get them that extra step withing gun range. I had a great hunt anyway and one I will remember for a long time.

I've not actually got to go yet. The weather wasn't in my favor this past weekend. However, as the weather has warmed up there has been some good signs on my farm. Hopefully this weekend I will get to bust that big boy!

:thumb: Friday and Saturday weather looks great. Good luck and I hope ol' three toes is yours.

It was cold and windy at my moms in Morgan Co , but my son still went and got his first turkey this morning. Yesterday my husband got one. I love wild turkey deepfried....YUM.

Sorry I missed this post. Congrats to your son and husband on their turkey hunting success.:thumb:

I will be hunting that area this coming week-end.

I may venture out this weekend. Looks like Friday and Saturday will both be good days, even if it will be cold Fri morning.

 

Looking forward to it.

It was a chilly morning just as Watusi predicted but the sunshine came quickly along with the skeeters. The action was slow today as I only heard a couple of birds on the opposite farm I was hunting. I didn't have permission to hunt the other farm so I just had to sit and enjoy the gobbling from my vantage point. I never had a chance to work any birds. I had zero response to any calling.

On a bright note, I talked with the landowner and now have permission to hunt the other property. Now I have more area to not get a turkey.:lol:

I took my son out this morning, we heard some toms on the roost, but they stopped pretty much as soon as they flew down. The turkeys that I am hunting are solidly hened up. I think I am going to stay out of the woods until Friday. I am going to give them some time, maybe by Friday the hens will start to nest. I hope.

 

My son has been talking about our hunting trip all day. That is what is all about.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.