April 15, 200719 yr It was cold and windy at my moms in Morgan Co , but my son still went and got his first turkey this morning. Yesterday my husband got one. I love wild turkey deepfried....YUM.
April 16, 200719 yr Author The only Turkey action I've had since the season started was the Turkey I had on the lunch buffet at Shoney's this afternoon.
April 16, 200719 yr Well, I'll try to keep this short. This is the first time I've logged in since Friday. Sat. morn I promised a fellow I'd take him. Non'stop rain kept us in my popup blind until he froze out and said he'd had enough. I took him back to his vehicle, without hearing a single turkey, but the ridge we were on was more tore up than I've seen since I've hunted there. I met some friends and my dad and we went to another place, gave it the old college try and still no dice. Everyone was cold, tired and ready to pack it in. On my way home, I decided to go to a spot by myself that we have permission to hunt. (and I'd publicly like to thank YAKOFNORWEGIA for allowing me to tag along on the permission deal, that's as true a friend as you could ask for) I walked roads that were moderately green and actually "snuck up" on 4 hens all within shotgun range. Again, no turkey talk makes it difficult. However, when the rain is coming down, turkeys are out of the timber, and you can get away with a bit of movement, so I proceeded about 2 miles from the truck where YAK had seen the most turkey sign (I called him on the phone while I was there) I walked to the end of the property and was finished "walking" when I was about to turn back and what did the Lord place in the last turn in the road????? Yep, 24lb., 10inch beard, 1" spurs longbeard drinking from a puddle, he raised his head up and his beard was still in the puddle, and he drank for the last time. Granted, I've killed a pile of turkeys from several states over the years, I worked harder for that bird through the rain than any other I can recall. I left my vest in the truck because I knew I would not be calling much, and stuck a diaphragm in my cheek and left, and had to haul the 24lber out 2+ miles back to the truck over my shoulder. The creek I crossed earlier was now 5-6 feet wide at it's narrowist point, so I pitched Tom over and jumped across ripping my Gore-Tex britches to boot. So, I wondered after having to climb the mountain to the truck, was it worth it???? You're dern skippy!!! Good luck to everybody, now I'm retiring the shotgun and gonna try to poke one with an arrow. So much for short and sweet! That's the way it is with turkey hunters!:lol:
April 16, 200719 yr Well, I'll try to keep this short. This is the first time I've logged in since Friday. Sat. morn I promised a fellow I'd take him. Non'stop rain kept us in my popup blind until he froze out and said he'd had enough. I took him back to his vehicle, without hearing a single turkey, but the ridge we were on was more tore up than I've seen since I've hunted there. I met some friends and my dad and we went to another place, gave it the old college try and still no dice. Everyone was cold, tired and ready to pack it in. On my way home, I decided to go to a spot by myself that we have permission to hunt. (and I'd publicly like to thank YAKOFNORWEGIA for allowing me to tag along on the permission deal, that's as true a friend as you could ask for) I walked roads that were moderately green and actually "snuck up" on 4 hens all within shotgun range. Again, no turkey talk makes it difficult. However, when the rain is coming down, turkeys are out of the timber, and you can get away with a bit of movement, so I proceeded about 2 miles from the truck where YAK had seen the most turkey sign (I called him on the phone while I was there) I walked to the end of the property and was finished "walking" when I was about to turn back and what did the Lord place in the last turn in the road????? Yep, 24lb., 10inch beard, 1" spurs longbeard drinking from a puddle, he raised his head up and his beard was still in the puddle, and he drank for the last time. Granted, I've killed a pile of turkeys from several states over the years, I worked harder for that bird through the rain than any other I can recall. I left my vest in the truck because I knew I would not be calling much, and stuck a diaphragm in my cheek and left, and had to haul the 24lber out 2+ miles back to the truck over my shoulder. The creek I crossed earlier was now 5-6 feet wide at it's narrowist point, so I pitched Tom over and jumped across ripping my Gore-Tex britches to boot. So, I wondered after having to climb the mountain to the truck, was it worth it???? You're dern skippy!!! Good luck to everybody, now I'm retiring the shotgun and gonna try to poke one with an arrow. So much for short and sweet! That's the way it is with turkey hunters!:lol: That is awesome! I've got to learn how to do this. I want to tell someone that a "turkey drank his last."
April 16, 200719 yr That is awesome! I've got to learn how to do this. I want to tell someone that a "turkey drank his last." Sounds impressive doesn't it? Makes you want to grunt like Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor.
April 16, 200719 yr Author Well, I'll try to keep this short. This is the first time I've logged in since Friday. Sat. morn I promised a fellow I'd take him. Non'stop rain kept us in my popup blind until he froze out and said he'd had enough. I took him back to his vehicle, without hearing a single turkey, but the ridge we were on was more tore up than I've seen since I've hunted there. I met some friends and my dad and we went to another place, gave it the old college try and still no dice. Everyone was cold, tired and ready to pack it in. On my way home, I decided to go to a spot by myself that we have permission to hunt. (and I'd publicly like to thank YAKOFNORWEGIA for allowing me to tag along on the permission deal, that's as true a friend as you could ask for) I walked roads that were moderately green and actually "snuck up" on 4 hens all within shotgun range. Again, no turkey talk makes it difficult. However, when the rain is coming down, turkeys are out of the timber, and you can get away with a bit of movement, so I proceeded about 2 miles from the truck where YAK had seen the most turkey sign (I called him on the phone while I was there) I walked to the end of the property and was finished "walking" when I was about to turn back and what did the Lord place in the last turn in the road????? Yep, 24lb., 10inch beard, 1" spurs longbeard drinking from a puddle, he raised his head up and his beard was still in the puddle, and he drank for the last time. Granted, I've killed a pile of turkeys from several states over the years, I worked harder for that bird through the rain than any other I can recall. I left my vest in the truck because I knew I would not be calling much, and stuck a diaphragm in my cheek and left, and had to haul the 24lber out 2+ miles back to the truck over my shoulder. The creek I crossed earlier was now 5-6 feet wide at it's narrowist point, so I pitched Tom over and jumped across ripping my Gore-Tex britches to boot. So, I wondered after having to climb the mountain to the truck, was it worth it???? You're dern skippy!!! Good luck to everybody, now I'm retiring the shotgun and gonna try to poke one with an arrow. So much for short and sweet! That's the way it is with turkey hunters!:lol: Nice job!!
April 16, 200719 yr Well, I'll try to keep this short. This is the first time I've logged in since Friday. Sat. morn I promised a fellow I'd take him. Non'stop rain kept us in my popup blind until he froze out and said he'd had enough. I took him back to his vehicle, without hearing a single turkey, but the ridge we were on was more tore up than I've seen since I've hunted there. I met some friends and my dad and we went to another place, gave it the old college try and still no dice. Everyone was cold, tired and ready to pack it in. On my way home, I decided to go to a spot by myself that we have permission to hunt. (and I'd publicly like to thank YAKOFNORWEGIA for allowing me to tag along on the permission deal, that's as true a friend as you could ask for) I walked roads that were moderately green and actually "snuck up" on 4 hens all within shotgun range. Again, no turkey talk makes it difficult. However, when the rain is coming down, turkeys are out of the timber, and you can get away with a bit of movement, so I proceeded about 2 miles from the truck where YAK had seen the most turkey sign (I called him on the phone while I was there) I walked to the end of the property and was finished "walking" when I was about to turn back and what did the Lord place in the last turn in the road????? Yep, 24lb., 10inch beard, 1" spurs longbeard drinking from a puddle, he raised his head up and his beard was still in the puddle, and he drank for the last time. Granted, I've killed a pile of turkeys from several states over the years, I worked harder for that bird through the rain than any other I can recall. I left my vest in the truck because I knew I would not be calling much, and stuck a diaphragm in my cheek and left, and had to haul the 24lber out 2+ miles back to the truck over my shoulder. The creek I crossed earlier was now 5-6 feet wide at it's narrowist point, so I pitched Tom over and jumped across ripping my Gore-Tex britches to boot. So, I wondered after having to climb the mountain to the truck, was it worth it???? You're dern skippy!!! Good luck to everybody, now I'm retiring the shotgun and gonna try to poke one with an arrow. So much for short and sweet! That's the way it is with turkey hunters!:lol: Congratulations. I would be happy if I could just hear or see a turkey. I beginning to think they left Greenup Co.
April 16, 200719 yr Author This morning would had been a PERFECT morning to go and I had to work!:irked:
April 16, 200719 yr I'm excited to hear from YAKOFNORWEGIA because he phoned me at 7:20 to verify that he'd scored. Although he gave me the details, I'll defer to his account when he logs on.:dancingpa
April 16, 200719 yr This morning would had been a PERFECT morning to go and I had to work!:irked: It must have been a good morning. One of my friends called me on my way to work to tell me he scored. Said he had 23 birds in front of him at one time. One big tom, 4 jakes, 4 younger toms, and 14 hens. He said they all ended up moving off without giving him a shot but another tom showed up a few minutes later. He got to ride in my buddies truck.
April 16, 200719 yr Congratulations Spindoc on your successful hunt. 24.1 lbs. WOW!! You must be hunting on Barry Bonds' farm:lol: I just got back in from todays hunt and after reading your story I am ready to go back out. Nice job:thumb: Todays hunt was full of action but the end result was the same as the two previous days. My turkey vest is still empty. I worked three longbeards and two jakes for over an hour . I had the safety off on two occassions but decided that the shot was a little to far and I didn't feel comfortable with the shot so I let them walk. I just could not get them that few extra steps to close the deal.I think I have lost my touch. Maybe tomorrow will be the day.
April 16, 200719 yr Congratulations Spindoc on your successful hunt. 24.1 lbs. WOW!! You must be hunting on Barry Bonds' farm:lol: I just got back in from todays hunt and after reading your story I am ready to go back out. Nice job:thumb: Todays hunt was full of action but the end result was the same as the two previous days. My turkey vest is still empty. I worked three longbeards and two jakes for over an hour . I had the safety off on two occassions but decided that the shot was a little to far and I didn't feel comfortable with the shot so I let them walk. I just could not get them that few extra steps to close the deal.I think I have lost my touch. Maybe tomorrow will be the day. He was soaked, so perhaps 1lb of water and stink. Good luck C'ville, if anyone can close the deal, it's C'ville. Tomorrow is when it looks like the day to be in the woods, and thankfully, Lord willing, I'll be out in God's beautiful creation trying to video one for a friend. Good Luck to all!!!!:thumb:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.