April 11, 200719 yr Hypothetical story: My daughter is a very good pianist. Good enough that it is possible she could be a professional concert pianist. Her favorite piano instructor teaches at Michigan. She receives a scholarship offer to study at Michigan in the music program. She proceeds with enrollment, but in the summer, her favorite instructor takes a new position at UK. She has also received a scholarship offer from UK. Now she decides that she will receive a better education by studying at UK instead of Michigan, and enrolls there. Is that wrong? Not a chance. The only difference in the situation is that sports have LOIs that lock students to particular schools. For players of Jordan's caliber, basketball is most likely their profession. Denying them the choice to study under their coach of choice doesn't make sense.
April 11, 200719 yr Just my opinion...and it isn't the popular one...but the kid signed with the school, regardless of his heart being with Gillispie....Billy G signed him as a representative of Texas A & M...not UK. What's the big deal with delaying the inevitable? If he sits out a year he comes to UK, if he comes this year, he comes to UK. In NO equation does he play at A/M. I think the UL in you is coming out! :scared:
April 11, 200719 yr If it were my kid and they had been recruited by a coach, signed with the coach, and then the coach left. I would feel that all bets are off. After all we are talking about their future and possibly their livelihood. Gillispie should not actively recruit, but any recruit whose coach has left should be given the option to invalidate the LOI. I do not care if it is Louisville, KY Ark..it is not fair to the kids that are drinking the "kool aid" to then be left in a situation that is not in their best interest. In a perfect world it would be this way but's it's not a perfect world. Why should A&M release him from his LOI? I wouldn't and if they don't the kid loses not one but two years of eligibility.
April 11, 200719 yr In a perfect world it would be this way but's it's not a perfect world. Why should A&M release him from his LOI? I wouldn't and if they don't the kid loses not one but two years of eligibility. You recognize that a decision such as that reflects badly on the university that would do that, yes? That's why they should if he asks for it. This isn't like nothing changed and someone asks. It is common that a recruit may change his mind should a coaching change occur. While it is A&M's right to deny such a request, it is giving a built in chip to anyone that is recruiting against them. It isn't the exact situation, but I think about how negatively it reflected on UK when they tried to deny Marvin Stone a right to transfer to UL. You could buy their story that it was an unwritten policy (unwritten because they created it on the spot), but even so, most felt it was pretty dirty of them to try to deny that right. It wasn't going to be right to deny Marvin Stone his wishes to transfer to a resonable school of his choice, it isn't right to deny a recruit the release they desire if the situation changes in this major way. FWIW, I was surprised that neither Stewart or Williams asked for a release (although I guess they still could). And I believe that UK should grant it should that occur.
April 11, 200719 yr And the problem with this is that most schools want you to sign early and if you don't they pull their offer and go for the sure thing with somebody else which could leave you high and dry with most of the bigger schools already filling their spots at that late of time. Also, if I were in some of these kids' shoes, I think I would want to make my decision somewhat early to avoid all the pressure and daily questions from the media, friends, fans, etc. about where you are going to play ball. That's a lot of pressure--when you feel like other's happiness is derived on your decision---another good reason to have only one signing period.
April 11, 200719 yr Also, if I were in some of these kids' shoes, I think I would want to make my decision somewhat early to avoid all the pressure and daily questions from the media, friends, fans, etc. about where you are going to play ball. That's a lot of pressure--when you feel like other's happiness is derived on your decision---another good reason to have only one signing period. It also gets annoying when recruiters call and call and call everyday at the same hour and having to open up the same letters every week and having people tell you the same thing. Sometimes you just need to take some time to figure out where you want to go on your own without any outside influences I would imagine...
April 11, 200719 yr I think the UL in you is coming out! :scared: I doubt it..I believe in loyalty 100% . . . . . but there is no U of L coming out in me.
April 11, 200719 yr ^ I could buy...the NOT recruiting him take...but that would be hard to gauge. I think that is what is happening. I dont the Billy G is actually calling him up and asking him to get out of his LOI and come to UK. I actually think it is all Jordan wanting to get out and come here. If that is the case then it would be kinda silly for BCG to tell him no I dont want you here go back to A&M or somewhere else. If BCG was actually recruiting Jordan again and trying to get him to leave A&M then I could see where you are coming from.
April 11, 200719 yr I think that is what is happening. I dont the Billy G is actually calling him up and asking him to get out of his LOI and come to UK. I actually think it is all Jordan wanting to get out and come here. If that is the case then it would be kinda silly for BCG to tell him no I dont want you here go back to A&M or somewhere else. If BCG was actually recruiting Jordan again and trying to get him to leave A&M then I could see where you are coming from. UKPat02...just said that DeAndre announced today on TV that he is an AGGIE.
April 11, 200719 yr I doubt it..I believe in loyalty 100% . . . . . but there is no U of L coming out in me. That sounds all warm and fuzzy, but it doesn't make good business sense to me. How can you possibly expect a kid (whose future is on the line) to have any loyalty to a school he has never even enrolled in? It is a contract (the LOI) between two parties. If a coach leaves, that drastically changes the priciples of the contract. In those cases, the contract is breached by the University, or at least altered, and the kid should get a free pass, IMO.
April 11, 200719 yr It is a contract (the LOI) between two parties. If a coach leaves, that drastically changes the priciples of the contract. In those cases, the contract is breached by the University, or at least altered, and the kid should get a free pass, IMO. I would only agree to this thought if the kid actually signed with the coach...that is not the case...like I said...I know that I am in the minority on this, but I feel very strongly about the ethics of this sort of shifting.
April 11, 200719 yr UKPat02...just said that DeAndre announced today on TV that he is an AGGIE. Yeah he is right now.
April 11, 200719 yr Yeah he is right now. Exactly, why would he not say he is a AGGIE, because at this very moment he is...
April 11, 200719 yr UKPat02...just said that DeAndre announced today on TV that he is an AGGIE. Im gonna have to track a few flights and call my realtor before I believe this. I'll let you know what my people tell me.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.