April 11, 200719 yr Well in that case, I agree with you. If you signed a contract at a high profile job, you can't request to leave just because they change bosses. Of course college kids aren't getting paid for it, and they only go through college once, and it's supposed to be the best time of their lives. I dont know that I completely agree with that statement. These players are getting an education paid for tax free. Most D1 players would be subject to out of state tuition costs, which in most cases are generally double what instate costs are. If say, the cost of an average years out of state tuition was say running @ $20,000 per year then that means that the student/athlete is basicly getting paid $80,000 to attend that school for the 4year period. If you had to go out and earn that $80,000 then you are looking at having to gross approximately $120,000 to net out to that $80,000 figure. I'm not going to get into the rights or wrongs of the LOI arguement, but these kids are in fact getting paid big time bucks to attend these schools. They are being paid very well.
April 12, 200719 yr I'm not going to get into the rights or wrongs of the LOI arguement, but these kids are in fact getting paid big time bucks to attend these schools. They are being paid very well. They sure are.
April 12, 200719 yr I dont know that I completely agree with that statement. These players are getting an education paid for tax free. Most D1 players would be subject to out of state tuition costs, which in most cases are generally double what instate costs are. If say, the cost of an average years out of state tuition was say running @ $20,000 per year then that means that the student/athlete is basicly getting paid $80,000 to attend that school for the 4year period. If you had to go out and earn that $80,000 then you are looking at having to gross approximately $120,000 to net out to that $80,000 figure. I'm not going to get into the rights or wrongs of the LOI arguement, but these kids are in fact getting paid big time bucks to attend these schools. They are being paid very well. You wanna take a stab at what it averages out to per hour?
April 12, 200719 yr I dont know that I completely agree with that statement. These players are getting an education paid for tax free. Most D1 players would be subject to out of state tuition costs, which in most cases are generally double what instate costs are. If say, the cost of an average years out of state tuition was say running @ $20,000 per year then that means that the student/athlete is basicly getting paid $80,000 to attend that school for the 4year period. If you had to go out and earn that $80,000 then you are looking at having to gross approximately $120,000 to net out to that $80,000 figure. I'm not going to get into the rights or wrongs of the LOI arguement, but these kids are in fact getting paid big time bucks to attend these schools. They are being paid very well. Heck, I don't even agree with my statement. I was only half serious when I said it. How many times did you hear about Rondo driving around a big new Escalade while he was at KY. But in all seriousness, if you're a big time athlete with a pro career, do you really give a squirt about a college education. Unless your name is Shaq, I don't think so. While you may be right about the amounts that a kid gets paid to play basketball in college, I don't think it goes towards an education.
April 12, 200719 yr I dont know that I completely agree with that statement. These players are getting an education paid for tax free. Most D1 players would be subject to out of state tuition costs, which in most cases are generally double what instate costs are. If say, the cost of an average years out of state tuition was say running @ $20,000 per year then that means that the student/athlete is basicly getting paid $80,000 to attend that school for the 4year period. If you had to go out and earn that $80,000 then you are looking at having to gross approximately $120,000 to net out to that $80,000 figure. I'm not going to get into the rights or wrongs of the LOI arguement, but these kids are in fact getting paid big time bucks to attend these schools. They are being paid very well. They most definitely are not getting paid. Yes their education is getting paid for but it is far from free. They works their butts off, and depending on the sport generate a boat load of money for their school. Trust me I have had 2 knee surgeries and a shoulder surgury from my free education. Not that I'm complaining, because I chose to play and I enjoyed the college life. But like I said. They are not getting paid, and it's not a free education.
April 12, 200719 yr Heck, I don't even agree with my statement. I was only half serious when I said it. How many times did you hear about Rondo driving around a big new Escalade while he was at KY. But in all seriousness, if you're a big time athlete with a pro career, do you really give a squirt about a college education. Unless your name is Shaq, I don't think so. While you may be right about the amounts that a kid gets paid to play basketball in college, I don't think it goes towards an education. What I read in the paper about the Escalade was that it belonged to Derek Anderson whom I guess he considered as his mentor. You do have a valid observation because granted, I guess there are plenty of those that think that they are bound to the NBA, but I think there are rosters full of role players and those players that bide their times waiting for those upperclassmen years to arrive and maybe a chance for a little PT. Not everybody perceives themselves as the next Mike or Shaq, I am sure. I think that there are probably quite a few kids that value their chance of a paid education and take full advantage of the opportunity. Those are the ones however that dont get the media attention.
April 12, 200719 yr You wanna take a stab at what it averages out to per hour? I did it....without complaint. :thumb:
April 12, 200719 yr They most definitely are not getting paid. Yes their education is getting paid for but it is far from free. They works their butts off, and depending on the sport generate a boat load of money for their school. Trust me I have had 2 knee surgeries and a shoulder surgury from my free education. Not that I'm complaining, because I chose to play and I enjoyed the college life. But like I said. They are not getting paid, and it's not a free education. I dont see how you can make that statement. This one really burns me up. Try coughing up that $120,000 on your own then. It sounds like in your case it would probably be mommy and daddy footing the bills anyways if you weren't playing and getting it paid for, so your probably not too worried about it anyways. You could be like the rest of us poor oafs that have to work their tails off, to pay their taxes so guys like you can enjoy the benefits. Try going out and get a job busting your butt everyday and not get a darned thing out of it, or try working a night job on top of going to school all day to try to pay for your education yourself. You might see how lucky you have it. Remember it's our tax dollars paying your way so you can be part of the entertainment world, and bub, that's all it is, just plain entertainment. I guess you feel the world owes you so you can go play basketball and get your education paid for. It's attitudes like you that are displaying that really gives some student athletes a bad name. Remember it's the countless numbers of guys like us that dont get a darned thing out of the whole ordeal , but it still comes out of ours paychecks every week so you can proclaim about how rough you've had it.
April 12, 200719 yr You wanna take a stab at what it averages out to per hour? Want to take a stab at how many hours working after school and on weekends at minimum wage it would take to pay for what your getting for nothing, all on top of going to school. Try coughing up that 120,000 bucks on your own if it's so easy.
April 12, 200719 yr You wanna take a stab at what it averages out to per hour?But since you want to... let's say it's $20,000 (though much higher, with all the free gear, meals, etc.) You have 12 hours of class, another 10 hours of homework...then the NCAA regulates how many hours of practice a week during season....let alone the NO hours off season, and summer break... so you have 22 hours school, and I'll say 20 hours of your sport in season...an average of 10 off season....So I will be generous in saying that it's an average of about 32 hours a week "work-wise" $20,000 / 52 (weeks) / 32 (hours) = $12.02/hour Sounds about right for a college kid.
April 12, 200719 yr But since you want to... let's say it's $20,000 (though much higher, with all the free gear, meals, etc.) You have 12 hours of class, another 10 hours of homework...then the NCAA regulates how many hours of practice a week during season....let alone the NO hours off season, and summer break... so you have 22 hours school, and I'll say 20 hours of your sport in season...an average of 10 off season....So I will be generous in saying that it's an average of about 32 hours a week "work-wise" $20,000 / 52 (weeks) / 32 (hours) = $12.02/hour Sounds about right for a college kid. Your forgetting that that number is tax free. Add about 40% on top of that number to cover your Uncle Sam contributions if you were having to come up with those funds the old fashioned way. That comes out to a pretty good hourly salary of $16.83 per hour. I dont know of too many jobs in my neck of the woods that can equal that.
April 12, 200719 yr I did it....without complaint. :thumb: Um.....good job? I don't know if you're accusing me of something or not, but I'll assume you're not. Want to take a stab at how many hours working after school and on weekends at minimum wage it would take to pay for what your getting for nothing, all on top of going to school. Try coughing up that 120,000 bucks on your own if it's so easy. Getting for nothing? Comical. You have 12 hours of class, another 10 hours of homework...then the NCAA regulates how many hours of practice a week during season....let alone the NO hours off season, and summer break... so you have 22 hours school, and I'll say 20 hours of your sport in season...an average of 10 off season I don't know where you're getting these numbers, but I'd be interested to see it. I'll leave it at that.
April 12, 200719 yr I dont see how you can make that statement. This one really burns me up. Try coughing up that $120,000 on your own then. It sounds like in your case it would probably be mommy and daddy footing the bills anyways if you weren't playing and getting it paid for, so your probably not too worried about it anyways. You could be like the rest of us poor oafs that have to work their tails off, to pay their taxes so guys like you can enjoy the benefits. Try going out and get a job busting your butt everyday and not get a darned thing out of it, or try working a night job on top of going to school all day to try to pay for your education yourself. You might see how lucky you have it. Remember it's our tax dollars paying your way so you can be part of the entertainment world, and bub, that's all it is, just plain entertainment. I guess you feel the world owes you so you can go play basketball and get your education paid for. It's attitudes like you that are displaying that really gives some student athletes a bad name. Remember it's the countless numbers of guys like us that dont get a darned thing out of the whole ordeal , but it still comes out of ours paychecks every week so you can proclaim about how rough you've had it. Sorry didn't play basketball, played football. And whether you realize it or not. None of the football scholarships are funded by the tax payers. In fact, the money generated from the football and basketball programs fund pretty much all of the other athletics scholarships at most schools, creating opportunities for many other people to get an education that might not have been able to afford it. If you don't think student athletes bust their butts everyday you are clueless. And since you know absolutely nothing about my mother and father, you should keep your mouth shut about them, bub. I'm not some kid you're talking to. I graduated 25 years ago and have paid plenty of taxes, I have also given money back to my school to help make it better for others. You seem to have very little knowledge about something you rant so much about.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.