Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

WLEX Reports............

Featured Replies

Sorry didn't play basketball, played football. And whether you realize it or not. None of the football scholarships are funded by the tax payers. In fact, the money generated from the football and basketball programs fund pretty much all of the other athletics scholarships at most schools, creating opportunities for many other people to get an education that might not have been able to afford it. If you don't think student athletes bust their butts everyday you are clueless.

 

And since you know absolutely nothing about my mother and father, you should keep your mouth shut about them, bub. I'm not some kid you're talking to. I graduated 25 years ago and have paid plenty of taxes, I have also given money back to my school to help make it better for others. You seem to have very little knowledge about something you rant so much about.

I guess I do know a little bit about it there pal, because I have two sons that play those non revenue producing college sports where you only get very small partial scholarships and I guarantee that they work just as hard in their sports as you did when you played football. That big time football revenue aint paying diddly to them. But guess what, they still go to class as full time students and work their tails off year round in their sports, and still work those odd jobs to help pay for some of the remainder. Dont tell me about how tough you had it there bub. I do know exactly what I am ranting on about. Maybe if you would have had to do all of that , you might have a little more gratitude for what you got. Besides I'm guessing that you would have played for nothing just like they are because of just a simple love for the sport.

 

And taxes not paying for those scholarships is one of the most asinine and ridiculous statements that I have ever read on here. If the gates dont take in enough to cover the expenses of the sport then just where do you think that the balance to cover the rest of it comes from. Think about that. Not every school can generate a surplus let alone cover the actual expenses. Just where do you think that the money came from to build these huge elaborate gyms and football stadiums. Chew on that one for a while too. I can guarantee that they are not self supporting.

  • Replies 195
  • Views 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry didn't play basketball, played football. And whether you realize it or not. None of the football scholarships are funded by the tax payers. In fact, the money generated from the football and basketball programs fund pretty much all of the other athletics scholarships at most schools, creating opportunities for many other people to get an education that might not have been able to afford it. If you don't think student athletes bust their butts everyday you are clueless.

 

.

A free college education is getting paid and getting paid well. My college was paid for as well but I know people that have to pay on loans for a long time to recieve the same education that a scholarship has already paid for.

 

Yes football and basketball fund all other sports and that pays for alot of other kids to get an education. Nobody ever said student athletes don't bust their tails or anything like that. But with the extra tutoring and extra attention given to athletes they reap alot of benefits from the EARNED education that they are recieving.

Um.....good job? I don't know if you're accusing me of something or not, but I'll assume you're not.

 

 

 

Getting for nothing? Comical.

 

 

 

I don't know where you're getting these numbers, but I'd be interested to see it. I'll leave it at that.

Look them up....either way you are getting a very fair handshake...and if you DON'T think so...you have another option..don't you?

I guess I do know a little bit about it there pal, because I have two sons that play those non revenue producing college sports where you only get very small partial scholarships and I guarantee that they work just as hard in their sports as you did when you played football. But guess what, they still go to class as full time students and work their tails off year round in their sports, and still work those odd jobs to help pay for some of the remainder. Dont tell me about how tough you had it there bub. I do know exactly what I am ranting on about.

 

And taxes not paying for those scholarships is one of the most asinine and ridiculous statements that I have ever read on here.

 

I never said anything about how tough I had it. What I said is they are not getting paid and it is not free. You're the one who came out ranting and and saying things about my character and my parents. When you know nothing about me or anything else.

 

I have nothing else to say to you, personal insults are not what BGP is about. Also go get a UK financial statement and you'll find out exactly where all of the funding for all scholarships come from.

 

By the way, I wish your sons the best in their respective sports. I have respect for all student athletes.

I never said anything about how tough I had it. What I said is they are not getting paid and it is not free. You're the one who came out ranting and and saying things about my character and my parents. When you know nothing about me or anything else.

 

I have nothing else to say to you, personal insults are not what BGP is about. Also go get a UK financial statement and you'll find out exactly where all of the funding for all scholarships come from.

 

By the way, I wish your sons the best in their respective sports. I have respect for all student athletes.

Thank You. Have a good night.

Look them up....either way you are getting a very fair handshake...and if you DON'T think so...you have another option..don't you?

 

Looking them up isn't very helpful....

 

I never said I didn't think so, I just don't like how firebird is portraying this whole situation, like it's easy street or something. That's a freaking joke.

Looking them up isn't very helpful....

 

I never said I didn't think so, I just don't like how firebird is portraying this whole situation, like it's easy street or something. That's a freaking joke.

It's not easy, not at all..I loved the respect I got from fellow students..and I respect the heck out of what you are doing...keep it up.

Looking them up isn't very helpful....

 

I never said I didn't think so, I just don't like how firebird is portraying this whole situation, like it's easy street or something. That's a freaking joke.

Read post #181. I know exactly what it's all about.

A free college education is getting paid and getting paid well. My college was paid for as well but I know people that have to pay on loans for a long time to recieve the same education that a scholarship has already paid for.

 

Yes football and basketball fund all other sports and that pays for alot of other kids to get an education. Nobody ever said student athletes don't bust their tails or anything like that. But with the extra tutoring and extra attention given to athletes they reap alot of benefits from the EARNED education that they are recieving.

 

I agree with you completely that the education is getting paid for, and they are indeed earned.

 

The other poster was pretty much saying how he had to work so hard and that I as a football player and other's like you, got it all handed to them.

It's not easy, not at all..I loved the respect I got from fellow students..and I respect the heck out of what you are doing...keep it up.

 

Thanks man.:thumb:

 

I guess I get a little defensive sometimes, because of some of the comments some professors or older alumni say.

Thanks man.:thumb:

 

I guess I get a little defensive sometimes, because of some of the comments some professors or older alumni say.

SHO NUFF...says the English major...:lol:

SHO NUFF...says the English major...:lol:

 

:lol:

I agree with you completely that the education is getting paid for, and they are indeed earned.

 

The other poster was pretty much saying how he had to work so hard and that I as a football player and other's like you, got it all handed to them.

Just saying that there are other athletes in other sports that are basicly still paying their own ways to do basicly the same thing that you did and got it paid for. That's all.

 

Would you still have played if you never received the first dime of scholarship money just because you loved the game? I'm guessing the answer is yes.

I went to college on a FULL athletic scholarship. I never paid a dime for tuition, books, room or board. I worked my backside off for that but I graduated with absolutely no student loans to repay. I had friends who graduated owing thousands of dollars. To say I (or any otehr athlete for that matter) doesn't get paid is a bit absurd.

I went to college on a FULL athletic scholarship. I never paid a dime for tuition, books, room or board. I worked my backside off for that but I graduated with absolutely no student loans to repay. I had friends who graduated owing thousands of dollars. To say I (or any otehr athlete for that matter) doesn't get paid is a bit absurd.

I would call it benefits.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.