April 10, 200719 yr ^I see your point.But I'm confused.Can you sign a loi before today or just verbal?
April 10, 200719 yr If they have already signed an LOI...they get the scholly, I believe..it can not be pulled at that time. Not true. They can pull a scholly after it is signed, but they may need a certian reason, such as an arrest to do so.
April 10, 200719 yr Because that kid signed with A & M...and Gillispie recruited him to A & M....doing the same now is very shady in my opinion. I agree that the coach should not re-recruit the player to their new school/job but what if BG has no, and I mean zero, contact with Jordan and he decides he wants to come to UK? Do you think Gillispie should say no to him and tell him he needs to honor his LOI?
April 10, 200719 yr Not true. They can pull a scholly after it is signed, but they may need a certian reason, such as an arrest to do so. I am not sure about this...but an arrest would invalidate a scholarship...so maybe legalities or eligibility issues...but plain pulling, no way.
April 10, 200719 yr Today is the first day of the late signing period.....that's why on here, I would personally verbal and then sign once all the coaching carousel is finalized....Jai Lucas and Patrick Patterson know exactly where everyone will be coaching simply because they have waited. Very good point.
April 10, 200719 yr ^I see your point.But I'm confused.Can you sign a loi before today or just verbal? In college basketball there is an early signing period in the fall and this late signing period now....stupid, IMO.
April 10, 200719 yr Coach Crum and Hall both said it would be extremely unethical for Gillispie to allow Jordan to follow him to UK. I tend to agree with that sentiment, and it would give me a sour taste towards a great coach. They thought they were talking about Michael Jordan, not Deandre... Don't both of these guys suffer from alzheimers, or something...:thumb:
April 10, 200719 yr ^ I agree that they do sign with their coach...however...as a school, or a coach, I would make it clearly evident that they are signed with the SCHOOL...it is a risk in signing in the early signing period....and one could get burned. I disagree with you on this one, and so does your boy Jay Bilas. If you're a member of ESPN Insider, there's a great story by Mr. Bilas on this subject.
April 10, 200719 yr I still doubt Gillispie has been recruiting the kid. The kid may not like the new coach, and he knows that Gillispie could use him at UK, so he wants to get out of it.
April 10, 200719 yr I agree that the coach should not re-recruit the player to their new school/job but what if BG has no, and I mean zero, contact with Jordan and he decides he wants to come to UK? Do you think Gillispie should say no to him and tell him he needs to honor his LOI? I think he SHOULD say that...but he won't and life will go on...if that were the case...I think the right thing would be to make him walk on for one year...and then get his scholly...that way all is ethically right in the world, as we know the NCAA always is
April 10, 200719 yr I am not sure about this...but an arrest would invalidate a scholarship...so maybe legalities or eligibility issues...but plain pulling, no way. And here's where you get into an issue that the NFL is going to look at. If the arrest takes place, then there is no conviction, or the charges are dropped, ect. does the punishment remain in effect. If a kid is exonerated but looses his scholly, is that fair?
April 10, 200719 yr I disagree with you on this one, and so does your boy Jay Bilas. If you're a member of ESPN Insider, there's a great story by Mr. Bilas on this subject. I am not a member....and I am sure there a ton of people that disagree with me on this. But if and when it is my kids' turns to look at schools, we will wait until we know all the information before inking anything...obviously that's a big if...but hey I signed one of those deals once
April 10, 200719 yr Today is the first day of the late signing period.....that's why on here, I would personally verbal and then sign once all the coaching carousel is finalized....Jai Lucas and Patrick Patterson know exactly where everyone will be coaching simply because they have waited. I have no idea why any player would do anything other than this. If this year doesn't show them to wait nothing ever might. Lucas and Patterson get to see everything happen before they make a decision and they will know exactly what they're getting into this year....unless Donovan goes to the NBA.
April 10, 200719 yr If it were my kid and they had been recruited by a coach, signed with the coach, and then the coach left. I would feel that all bets are off. After all we are talking about their future and possibly their livelihood. Gillispie should not actively recruit, but any recruit whose coach has left should be given the option to invalidate the LOI. I do not care if it is Louisville, KY Ark..it is not fair to the kids that are drinking the "kool aid" to then be left in a situation that is not in their best interest.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.