Rules Question

Had this happen recently and disagreed with the umpire's call. I readily admit I do not know the baseball rules like basketball, so I ask the BGP bball experts.

With ONE STRIKE, pitch is made and foul tipped INTO the glove of the catcher. Baserunner on first was off on a steal attempt. The umpire said a foul tip that is caught is still a live ball and the stolen base is legal and baserunner is on second.

I thought since it made contact with the bat that the runner should return to first.

Was the umpire right? On a foul tip, the baserunners can steal.

So explain the difference between a foul ball and a foul tip. And why the difference, please.
A foul ball, is a ball hit and either contacts playing fence, player or umpire and contacts the playing surface. Also, any ball hit which travels beyond 1st/3rd base, in foul territory or touched by a player, in foul territory.

A foul tip, is any ball which is contacted, but maintained by the catcher, either in his glove or bare hand and is live. Same instance, if a ball is hit and a line drive is caught by 2nd basemen, still a live ball.

Pop-ups, behind home plate and caught by the catcher, are live.

A foul ball, is a ball hit and either contacts playing fence, player or umpire and contacts the playing surface. Also, any ball hit which travels beyond 1st/3rd base, in foul territory or touched by a player, in foul territory.

A foul tip, is any ball which is contacted, but maintained by the catcher, either in his glove or bare hand and is live. Same instance, if a ball is hit and a line drive is caught by 2nd basemen, still a live ball.

Pop-ups, behind home plate and caught by the catcher, are live.

The only problem with your last statements is that the runner cannot advance till AFTER the ball has been caught. In this case, runner took off on a steal attempt WAY before the ball was caught. He was credited with a stolen base and did not have to return to the bag to "tag up."

The only problem with your last statements is that the runner cannot advance till AFTER the ball has been caught. In this case, runner took off on a steal attempt WAY before the ball was caught. He was credited with a stolen base and did not have to return to the bag to "tag up."
I never said the runner can't advance, till after the ball is caught. If a runner leaves, during the course of delivery home and the ball is contacted by the batter, it's a live ball if caught by the catcher and retained. Runner can advance.

If the ball is contacted by the batter but not retained or dropped by the catcher, then it's a foul tip and runners return to respective bases.

Some Umpires and fans, confuse the term foul ball and foul tip, which are two differently distinct terms but a foul tip, can lead to a foul ball.

Is this a youth game, which states the runner can't advance till the ball reaches home. If so, the ball is still live and if the runner left early, he must return to the base, if the Umpire was observant....only because, he left before reaching home, in Little League for example.

LBBC if you are having trouble with understanding that the correct call was made by the men in Blue on this play (which btw they did make) I would love to be there when they try to explain the infield fly rule to you! Now that is a rule that is going to drive you nuts.... :D:D

LBBC if you are having trouble with understanding that the correct call was made by the men in Blue on this play (which btw they did make) I would love to be there when they try to explain the infield fly rule to you! Now that is a rule that is going to drive you nuts.... :D:D

I really dislike that rule at this level of play.

I never said the runner can't advance, till after the ball is caught. If a runner leaves, during the course of delivery home and the ball is contacted by the batter, it's a live ball if caught by the catcher and retained. Runner can advance.

If the ball is contacted by the batter but not retained or dropped by the catcher, then it's a foul tip and runners return to respective bases.

Some Umpires and fans, confuse the term foul ball and foul tip, which are two differently distinct terms but a foul tip, can lead to a foul ball.

Is this a youth game, which states the runner can't advance till the ball reaches home. If so, the ball is still live and if the runner left early, he must return to the base, if the Umpire was observant....only because, he left before reaching home, in Little League for example.

So if the catcher wanted to prevent the stolen base, he should have dropped the ball?

It was in the Major level, not the level we play at which further means I don't know the rules 100% and am trying to understand them.

The IFF is easy once you realize that the batter is automatically out which means there is no force play at first base. Once you grasp that, the rest of the play (and options) fall right into place.

I accept they made the right call and am tryng to understand the difference between a foul ball and a foul tip.

And I understand the infield fly rule fine. The INF rule is nowhere near as ambguious as the difference between the batter making contact with the ball and it being a foul tip and it being a foul ball.

STRIKE3, let me make sure I understand.

Batter makes contact and the catcher catches it on the SECOND STRIKE and the runner can still advance and the batter is not out.

Batter makes contact and fouls it straight back into the catcher's mitt BUT the catcher drops it, the batter is not out and the runner must return to base.

Batter makes contact and fouls it to the a foot above the catcher's head and the catcher catches it, the runner's cannot advance till AFTER the catch is made and the batter is out.

Batter makes contact and fouls it a foot above the catcher's head and does not catch it, the batter is not out and the runner must return to first.