UK Fans, be thankful, we could have Rick Barnes.

mexitucky

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A&M went to a triangle and 2 with the sole intent to deny Durant the ball so Barnes looked to his other VERY talented players to score. How did they do? Augustine had 25, James had 22 and Abrams had 16. They have lost a few close games because they are so young and inexperienced, but to question Barnes and put him over Tubby is a riot. How many close games has UK lost this year? Answer? Most of them. WEAK...

Wiz......EAK!!

Someone else agrees with me. The SportsGuy is none too impressed

So I finally fall for a college hoops team, and just my luck ... they have a crappy coach! It's like my destiny in life to root for poorly coached basketball teams. The way Rick Barnes butchers this team on a game-to-game basis is unconscionable. Seriously, did you SEE Wednesday night's game? What was your favorite bad coaching moment? Acie Law being repeatedly allowed to shoot game-tying threes from his favorite spots on the floor? Durant going 4-5 straight possessions in OT without touching the ball? D.J. Augustin being allowed to recklessly drive to the hoop again and again when he's playing with the most unstoppable college scorer in 40 years?

I asked this question a few weeks ago, and I'm asking it again now: How can you not run more plays for Kevin Durant? Post him up and he has 27 different ways to score. Curl him off picks and he makes 15-footers like they're layups. Spread the floor out, let him handle the ball at the top of the key and he can pull up and swish 25-footers over anyone. THE GUY IS A SURE THING!!!!!!!! Why are they giving him a degree of difficulty? Do they have plays in their playbook called "Durant stands frozen 25 feet from the basket while other guys dribble aimlessly" and "half-assed pick-and-roll that leads to nothing" and "Durant posts up while the point guards stare him down, then reverse the ball the other way?"

I can't handle it. Watching Texas screw up the Durant Era is like watching a guy spend three straight hours buying drinks and working it with a girl who already announced, "Sure, I'll sleep with you." In other words, WHY ARE YOU MAKING THIS HARD????? Seriously, I feel like Barnes should resign. He's overmatched. He's Dubya-esque. It's a disgrace. They're going to get bounced from the NCAA Tournament this month solely because Barnes has no idea how to get Durant the ball ... and even worse, doesn't seem to feel any pressing need to get Durant the ball. And since Durant is a good teammate, and he's not one of those guys who would scream at a teammate, "Look, get out of my way and give me the f---ing ball," we get to watch him stand around in close games while opposing coaches think to themselves, "Phew, I'm glad Rick Barnes is over there."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/index?name=simmons

So...the argument isn't quite wiz...eak as it was so eloquently typed. It's well founded.

my man-crush on Durant has reached the point that I should probably remain at least 100 yards away from him at all times.

This coming from the Sports Guy that's 4 months behind ME in knowing how good Durant is... ;)

my man-crush on Durant has reached the point that I should probably remain at least 100 yards away from him at all times.

This coming from the Sports Guy that's 4 months behind ME in knowing how good Durant is... ;)

He's light years behind you in man crushes!!!

Did you watch the whole A&M -UT game?

Honestly, I've only seen one game. Look, I was out of bounds saying that Tubby was a great coach, however, I do believe that he is a better in game coach than Barnes. When UT had Ford and I was still in college and able to stay up past 9pm, I watched them quite a bit. He recruits good players, most of the time he is on par with Kansas in terms of talent. Regardless, you can not excuse how inept he looked once A&M switched defenses after the half. UT got lucky to score on a fast break and an Augutine 3. Tell me that you find him to be a good coach, and that he made the proper adjustments against A&M. If Durant doesn't hit a 26 ft. three pointer with 12 seconds left, I believe that A&M wins at the end of regulation. Now, granted, Law's three pointer was pretty lucky, but I believe that he gets into the lane to make something happen before time expires. Point being, Barnes didn't make adjustments, Durant bailed him out. It should have never ben that close.

Honestly, I've only seen one game. Look, I was out of bounds saying that Tubby was a great coach, however, I do believe that he is a better in game coach than Barnes. When UT had Ford and I was still in college and able to stay up past 9pm, I watched them quite a bit. He recruits good players, most of the time he is on par with Kansas in terms of talent. Regardless, you can not excuse how inept he looked once A&M switched defenses after the half. UT got lucky to score on a fast break and an Augutine 3. Tell me that you find him to be a good coach, and that he made the proper adjustments against A&M. If Durant doesn't hit a 26 ft. three pointer with 12 seconds left, I believe that A&M wins at the end of regulation. Now, granted, Law's three pointer was pretty lucky, but I believe that he gets into the lane to make something happen before time expires. Point being, Barnes didn't make adjustments, Durant bailed him out. It should have never ben that close.

Did you ever consider maybe it was on Durant for not working against the triangle and 2 off the ball as well as he should? I agree in a perfect world you get him the ball as much as you can, but without breaking down the game tape I think you're being a bit judgmental...

Did you ever consider maybe it was on Durant for not working against the triangle and 2 off the ball as well as he should? I agree in a perfect world you get him the ball as much as you can, but without breaking down the game tape I think you're being a bit judgmental...

To be honest, I don't think that Durant knew what to do. He kind of went to the block and then hovered around the three point line. It doesn't matter, we'll see come tournament time. UT has as much final four potential as anyone else in the country. I just don't see Barnes getting them over the hump, unless he is able to adjust faster than he did against A&M.

Getting man and zone defense is a tough for a player. The players without chasers need to step up in that situation. That's what teammates are for. Zones like that should mean open shots for at least 2 players the majority of the time.