Giants Cut Petitgout, Arrington, Emmons

Wow, I expected Emmons to be gone, but Arrington and Petitgout are surprises. Both could help other teams out, not sure why they cut Arrington. Cutting Arrington will cost them cap-wise. Chad Morton also rumored to be cut, and Bob Whitfield retired along with Tiki Barber. The Giants will now be around $20 million under the cap. They better be saving some $$ to go after Lance Briggs, or another good LB...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrington will be a good pickup for somebody.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2763433

Giants release former Pro Bowler Arrington

Combined with the retirement of running back Tiki Barber, the Giants now have additional salary-cap space to pursue free agents this offseason. Emmons had two years remaining on a five-year contract worth $16.5 million and was to make $2 million this year, and Petitgout had two years left on his contract and was due $5 million for 2007.

As always, there will be a number of players retiring this season and the official announcement can have a profound affect on the salary cap. Tiki Barber is done as a New York Giant and that means a credit for his $4.4 million salary and $600,000 in incentives go back into the Giants' cap pool, minus $1 million acceleration of old bonus money. So the Giants will add close to $4 million of space to their cap with Barber's retirement.

Also in New York, the Jets will see Curtis Martin retire in the near future. Right now, Martin is on the books for $3.25 million in salary and has $1.9 million in old bonuses to clear up, so the Jets will get a bump up in cap space of $1.35 million.

Both New York teams get back some salary-cap space, but they lose two of the greatest players to ever take the field over at the Meadowlands.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9988414

No I'm not. The Giants cut two starters. I'm sure it was for salary cap reasons, but it's still two starters. The Bengals and Chargers could cut some trouble makers and also free up some cap space. Of course, character doesn't count for much in those places, but they could still take care of two issues with one stone.

No I'm not. The Giants cut two starters. I'm sure it was for salary cap reasons, but it's still two starters. The Bengals and Chargers could cut some trouble makers and also free up some cap space. Of course, character doesn't count for much in those places, but they could still take care of two issues with one stone.

What was the problem with the starters cut???

I don't know that they had any off the field issues. I think it does speak volumes when a team can cut starters for no apparent off the field issues while another team can have eight players arrested, including a couple multiple times, and still keep their jobs.

The Giants had $14 million to spend before they cut Emmons, Arrington and Petitgout. Now with the savings from those releases combined with Whitfield and Barber's retirements...the Giants are over $20 million under the cap. Look for them to go after Asante Samuel, Nate Clements or Lance Briggs.

It's a shame teams like the Bengals and Chargers don't have the backbone to make moves like this.

This has nothing to do with a backbone. You really think the Bengals and Chargers are afraid of cutting their players, or furthermore afraid of what their fans would think? NFL Teams are a buisness. The Chargers and Bengals have players with awful character who more than not perform on the field, which is all that matters. Why would the Bengals cut Steinbach (an excellent LG), Jonathan Joseph (one of their few young DB's and a rising talent), and Chris Henry (who I believe had a team-leading 8 TD's).

The Giants made a good buisness move clearing up that cap space, and I'm sure the players that were cut understand where their former organization is coming from.

The best cut from this list is Petitgout, hands down. Of the three, Arrington would be the last one I would want to pick up.

Petitgout has big problems in regards to penalties, and injuries. He is always injured and seems to have a lot of false starts. He's a solid tackle, but he could, and should have been better.