Giants Cut Petitgout, Arrington, Emmons

I don't know that they had any off the field issues. I think it does speak volumes when a team can cut starters for no apparent off the field issues while another team can have eight players arrested, including a couple multiple times, and still keep their jobs.

Before you start making baseless jabs you should check out the NFL CBA and get back to me. The Giants will face no litigation for these moves because they were related to performance. If the Bengals cut one of the problems, they'll be staring down a big fine and maybe worse. Thanks for playing...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you start making baseless jabs you should check out the NFL CBA and get back to me. The Giants will face no litigation for these moves because they were related to performance. If the Bengals cut one of the problems, they'll be staring down a big fine and maybe worse. Thanks for playing...
Maybe you should actually read the CBA instead of relying on what the talking heads on TV say.

From the standard NFL contract --

2. EMPLOYMENT AND SERVICES. Club employs Player as a skilled football player. Player accepts

such employment. He agrees to give his best efforts and loyalty to the Club, and to conduct himself on and off

the field with appropriate recognition of the fact that the success of professional football depends largely on

public respect for and approval of those associated with the game. Player will report promptly for and

participate fully in Club’s official mandatory minicamp(s), official preseason training camp, all Club meetings

and practice sessions, and all preseason, regular season and postseason football games scheduled for or by Club.

If invited, Player will practice for and play in any all-star football game sponsored by the League. Player will

not participate in any football game not sponsored by the League unless the game is first approved by the

League.

8. PHYSICAL CONDITION. Player represents to Club that he is and will maintain himself in excellent

physical condition. Player will undergo a complete physical examination by the Club physician upon Club

request, during which physical examination Player agrees to make full and complete disclosure of any physical

or mental condition known to him which might impair his performance under this contract and to respond fully

and in good faith when questioned by the Club physician about such condition. If Player fails to establish or

maintain his excellent physical condition to the satisfaction of the Club physician, or make the required full and

complete disclosure and good faith responses to the Club physician, then Club may terminate this contract.

11. SKILL, PERFORMANCE AND CONDUCT. Player understands that he is competing with other

players for a position on Club’s roster within the applicable player limits. If at any time, in the sole judgment of

Club, Player’s skill or performance has been unsatisfactory as compared with that of other players competing

for positions on Club’s roster, or if Player has engaged in personal conduct reasonably judged by Club to

adversely affect or reflect on Club, then Club may terminate this contract. In addition, during the period any

salary cap is legally in effect, this contract may be terminated if, in Club’s opinion, Player is anticipated to make

less of a contribution to Club’s ability to compete on the playing field than another player or players whom

Club intends to sign or attempts to sign, or another player or players who is or are already on Club’s roster, and

for whom Club needs room.

Seems to me there are several Bengals (and other NFL players) who are in direct violation of the standard NFL contract as published on the NFL CBA web site. However, players can't be terminated for violating the substance abuse policy

Section 6. NFL Drug and Steroid Policies: No Club may impose any discipline against a player, including but

not limited to terminating the player’s Player Contract, as a result of that Player’s violation of the Policy on

Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances or the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse, or for

failing any drug test, provided, however, that the fact that a player has violated the Policy on Anabolic Steroids

and Related Substances or the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse, or has failed a drug test will

not preclude the termination of his Player Contract if such termination is otherwise expressly permissible under

this Agreement or the player’s Player Contract.

The CBA doesn't say anywhere that a player can't be terminated for multiple non-drug related arrests. There still several Bengals that fit this criteria.

From Article VIII

Section 6. NFL Drug and Steroid Policies: No Club may impose any discipline against a player, including but

not limited to terminating the player’s Player Contract, as a result of that Player’s violation of the Policy on

Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances or the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse, or for

failing any drug test, provided, however, that the fact that a player has violated the Policy on Anabolic Steroids

and Related Substances or the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse, or has failed a drug test will

not preclude the termination of his Player Contract if such termination is otherwise expressly permissible under

this Agreement or the player’s Player Contract.

You can cut Henry for his gun charge but you're walking a fine line. Everything else is a product of the drug abuse program. So NO you can not cut Odell, Joseph or O'Neal for what they did. They are in stage 1 and beyond in the NFL system and CAN NOT BE CUT for their stupidity at this point without ramifications...

Frostee Rucker - Spousal Battery

A.J. Nicholson - Burglary

Reggie McNeal - Resisting Arrest

Chris Henry - He was arrested in Orlando for multiple gun charges including concealment and aggravated assault with a firearm

I don't think those fall into the substance abuse guidelines.

Frostee Rucker - Spousal Battery

A.J. Nicholson - Burglary

Reggie McNeal - Resisting Arrest

Chris Henry - He was arrested in Orlando for multiple gun charges including concealment and aggravated assault with a firearm

I don't think those fall into the substance abuse guidelines.

So now you want them to cut Nicholson and Rucker for things that happened BEFORE they were Bengals. You're right. The NFLPA would let that slide? :lol:

I said you could try with Henry but the charges were reduced in that case. Again the NFLPA will not let it slide. So now we are down to only McNeal. Compelling argument...

We both know if either of us were charged with Henry's non-drug charges, we;d be looking for work.

Yup. But, sadly, Chris Henry we are not. It's a warped reality our society created. I'm not saying I like or condone it. Just pointing out what can and can not be done to the players on the Bengals roster. Good thing I don't just listen to the talking heads (most of which played the game) and actually do my own research... :p

I really hope the Browns make an effort to go after Petitgout. The offensive line was obviously a mess for Cleveland last year, and they are several million $ under the cap. If you add a healthy LeCharles Bentley with Petitgout, and possibly use your first round pick on Joe Thomas from Wisconsin, the Browns line would be very good, and Frye would actually have some time to throw the ball next year.

I really hope the Browns make an effort to go after Petitgout. The offensive line was obviously a mess for Cleveland last year, and they are several million $ under the cap. If you add a healthy LeCharles Bentley with Petitgout, and possibly use your first round pick on Joe Thomas from Wisconsin, the Browns line would be very good, and Frye would actually have some time to throw the ball next year.

Petitgout would do them some good for a few weeks, then he'd have back spasms and be out forever! :lol: