13th Analyst

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a link to the website:

http://www.dynastymanager.com/news.cgi?u=adami20&s=cbb&t=news&id=37987

Some things that I enjoyed from the article:

"Smith's teams, known primarily for a defense-oriented slower style of play coined "Tubbyball", have received mixed reviews among Kentucky fans who have historically enjoyed a faster, higher-scoring, and arguably more exciting style of play under previous coaches. Since arriving in Lexington in 1997, Smith has led Kentucky to one National Championship in 1998, five SEC regular season championships (1998, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005) and five SEC Tournament titles (1998, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004), with six Sweet Sixteen finishes and three Elite Eight finishes (1999, 2003, 2005) in his nine seasons. Although this would be a very impressive resume at most college basketball teams, Smith has nevertheless come under much pressure from some UK fans, who believe that nothing short of a Final Four appearance is acceptable for UK. "

"He totaled 100 wins quicker than any other Wildcat coach except Hall of Famer Adolph Rupp, reaching the plateau in 130 games. "

"Even more impressive, Smith has averaged nearly 27 wins per season at Kentucky."

"Prior to coming to the Bluegrass, he spent two seasons at Georgia, where he coached the Bulldogs to a 45-19 (70.3%) record and the first back-to-back seasons of 20 wins or more in school history. Prior to Georgia, he coached four seasons at Tulsa, guiding the Golden Hurricane to Final 16 appearances his last two seasons. "

My thoughts, Tubby is an excellent coach. I get tired of other "Kentucky" fans getting on here and bashing him as a coach simply because his style of play is as crowd pleasing as say Pitino's was. How many other coaches can say that they have led their teams to 9 sweet sixteens, 3 elite eights, and 1 national championship??

Any other supporters out there?

Lets see...Denny Crum, Coack K, Bobby Knight, Dean Smith, Calhoun, John Wooden, Pat Summit,

Lets see...Denny Crum, Coack K, Bobby Knight, Dean Smith, Calhoun, John Wooden, Pat Summit,

I don't know if you were trying to prove me wrong or something but I think you added strength to my arguement. That is great company if you ask me. It shows me that he is far from an ordinary coach. And let's not also forget that Crumm coached for 30 years. Wait and see what Tubby can do after that long. And Pat Summit was a great coach in women's basketball before anybody else in the world cared to invest in their women's programs.

A few other things to add to his resume:

-5 First Round draft picks while at UK: Rondo, Padgett, Mohammed, Magloire, and Prince.

-In ten years at UK, he has been named National Coach of the Year 3 times: 1998, 2003 (first ever unanimous -seven different entities- in the 25 year history of the award), and in 2005.

-In 2000, helped coach the USA Olympic basketball team to a GOLD Medal.

I don't know if you were trying to prove me wrong or something but I think you added strength to my arguement. That is great company if you ask me. It shows me that he is far from an ordinary coach. And let's not also forget that Crumm coached for 30 years. Wait and see what Tubby can do after that long. And Pat Summit was a great coach in women's basketball before anybody else in the world cared to invest in their women's programs.

A few other things to add to his resume:

-5 First Round draft picks while at UK: Rondo, Padgett, Mohammed, Magloire, and Prince.

-In ten years at UK, he has been named National Coach of the Year 3 times: 1998, 2003 (first ever unanimous -seven different entities- in the 25 year history of the award), and in 2005.

-In 2000, helped coach the USA Olympic basketball team to a GOLD Medal.

:thumb: :thumb: More excellent info and points made. The facts are that This Man Can Coach!!

Tubby's a mediocre coach on the downside of his UK tenure.

Being blinded by love keeps you guys from seeing this, but even at that, Tubby is a good enough person that he very much deserves loyal supporters like yourselves.

I'm just not one of them.

Tubby's a mediocre coach on the downside of his UK tenure.

Being blinded by love keeps you guys from seeing this, but even at that, Tubby is a good enough person that he very much deserves loyal supporters like yourselves.

I'm just not one of them.

Besides Tubby being a great person, great ambassador for U.K. and college basketball I say that he is Far above a mediocre coach. Imo the numbers listed above in various post prove that. I respect your opinion and you have every right to post it as you did but for my part anyway there are no "blinders" here.

Besides Tubby being a great person, great ambassador for U.K. and college basketball I say that he is Far above a mediocre coach. Imo the numbers listed above in various post prove that. I respect your opinion and you have every right to post it as you did but for my part anyway there are no "blinders" here.

Great Post!:thumb: I can always tell who the true blue die hard UK B-ball fans are.

I support Tubby and my new years resolution was to avoid the Tubby Basher threads that pop up every week. I think he is a terrific coach who is a great ambassador for the state and the university and he wins. So many seem to believe that Pitino's phenomenal run at UK would have lasted forever, but his recruiting just before he left was nowhere near what is was the first 3/4 of his tenure and the run of dominance (which noone short of UCLA in the 1970's has ever had) was coming to an end.

Color me a True Blue Tubby Supporter!

I wonder why people see such a difference between a final four and an elite 8? In the grand scheme, neither is a championship.

I've always argued the same thing. Too much of a big deal is made out of the Final Four. If you lose in the semifinals you're still not national champs, same as the team that lost to you in the regional finals.

I am a Tubby supporter. Anybody would have been a lesser coach compared to Pitino. This is where the knock on OTS comes. Style of play and a 78% winning percentage, compared to Pitino's 82%. A lot of fans think you are not a good coach unless you play the way Pitino played. In 96, when Ricky P won it all, they did not press as much as they had. They played stifling man to man D and got a lot of steals for easy transition points. Yes, as a UK fan we are due for a Final Four berth. We are a missed 3 pointer in 99, a Bogans badly sprained ankle in 03, and a missed rebound in 05, from going to 4 Final fours in 9 years under Tubby. Yes, there is a negative. I have some issues with the inconsistent recruiting. If that can become more consistent, then I feel we are A OK. This has been discussed numerous times over the last year and a half and I will not go any further into it. I think that OTS is a great ambassador for our university and our state. Selfishly, I would like to get another National Championship as soon as possible. However, I would like for the Wildcats and especially OTS to get it, so hopefully everybody will get off of his back.

Great post SLINK, and I agree with everything you state. And my only issue with Tubby in recent years is his recruiting hasn't been as strong as it should have with a program like UK. But the man can coach, no doubt about that.

I support Tubby and my new years resolution was to avoid the Tubby Basher threads that pop up every week. I think he is a terrific coach who is a great ambassador for the state and the university and he wins. So many seem to believe that Pitino's phenomenal run at UK would have lasted forever, but his recruiting just before he left was nowhere near what is was the first 3/4 of his tenure and the run of dominance (which noone short of UCLA in the 1970's has ever had) was coming to an end.

Color me a True Blue Tubby Supporter!

:thumb:

Great post SLINK, and I agree with everything you state. And my only issue with Tubby in recent years is his recruiting hasn't been as strong as it should have with a program like UK. But the man can coach, no doubt about that.

Thanks, Professor. The Skipper and Gilligan can use all the positive reinforcement they can get. I couldn't resist.:D :thumb: