Article about Tubby Smith's Success At Kentucky

13th Analyst

Here is a link to the website:

http://www.dynastymanager.com/news.cgi?u=adami20&s=cbb&t=news&id=37987

Some things that I enjoyed from the article:

"Smith's teams, known primarily for a defense-oriented slower style of play coined "Tubbyball", have received mixed reviews among Kentucky fans who have historically enjoyed a faster, higher-scoring, and arguably more exciting style of play under previous coaches. Since arriving in Lexington in 1997, Smith has led Kentucky to one National Championship in 1998, five SEC regular season championships (1998, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005) and five SEC Tournament titles (1998, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004), with six Sweet Sixteen finishes and three Elite Eight finishes (1999, 2003, 2005) in his nine seasons. Although this would be a very impressive resume at most college basketball teams, Smith has nevertheless come under much pressure from some UK fans, who believe that nothing short of a Final Four appearance is acceptable for UK. "

"He totaled 100 wins quicker than any other Wildcat coach except Hall of Famer Adolph Rupp, reaching the plateau in 130 games. "

"Even more impressive, Smith has averaged nearly 27 wins per season at Kentucky."

"Prior to coming to the Bluegrass, he spent two seasons at Georgia, where he coached the Bulldogs to a 45-19 (70.3%) record and the first back-to-back seasons of 20 wins or more in school history. Prior to Georgia, he coached four seasons at Tulsa, guiding the Golden Hurricane to Final 16 appearances his last two seasons. "

My thoughts, Tubby is an excellent coach. I get tired of other "Kentucky" fans getting on here and bashing him as a coach simply because his style of play is as crowd pleasing as say Pitino's was. How many other coaches can say that they have led their teams to 9 sweet sixteens, 3 elite eights, and 1 national championship??

Any other supporters out there?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why people see such a difference between a final four and an elite 8? In the grand scheme, neither is a championship.

Good point!!! If Kentucky fans, who believe that nothing short of a Final Four appearance is acceptable for UK. "... is settling... and why settle we should rush for the ship and nothing less.

I am a Tubby supporter. Anybody would have been a lesser coach compared to Pitino. This is where the knock on OTS comes. Style of play and a 78% winning percentage, compared to Pitino's 82%. A lot of fans think you are not a good coach unless you play the way Pitino played. In 96, when Ricky P won it all, they did not press as much as they had. They played stifling man to man D and got a lot of steals for easy transition points. Yes, as a UK fan we are due for a Final Four berth. We are a missed 3 pointer in 99, a Bogans badly sprained ankle in 03, and a missed rebound in 05, from going to 4 Final fours in 9 years under Tubby. Yes, there is a negative. I have some issues with the inconsistent recruiting. If that can become more consistent, then I feel we are A OK. This has been discussed numerous times over the last year and a half and I will not go any further into it. I think that OTS is a great ambassador for our university and our state. Selfishly, I would like to get another National Championship as soon as possible. However, I would like for the Wildcats and especially OTS to get it, so hopefully everybody will get off of his back.

"He totaled 100 wins quicker than any other Wildcat coach except Hall of Famer Adolph Rupp, reaching the plateau in 130 games. "

"Even more impressive, Smith has averaged nearly 27 wins per season at Kentucky."

"Prior to coming to the Bluegrass, he spent two seasons at Georgia, where he coached the Bulldogs to a 45-19 (70.3%) record and the first back-to-back seasons of 20 wins or more in school history. Prior to Georgia, he coached four seasons at Tulsa, guiding the Golden Hurricane to Final 16 appearances his last two seasons. "

My thoughts, Tubby is an excellent coach. I get tired of other "Kentucky" fans getting on here and bashing him as a coach simply because his style of play is as crowd pleasing as say Pitino's was. How many other coaches can say that they have led their teams to 9 sweet sixteens, 3 elite eights, and 1 national championship??

Any other supporters out there?

:thumb: :thumb: There is one right here! Thanks for the link and the article. Those are some impressive numbers.

I am a Tubby supporter. Anybody would have been a lesser coach compared to Pitino. This is where the knock on OTS comes. Style of play and a 78% winning percentage, compared to Pitino's 82%. A lot of fans think you are not a good coach unless you play the way Pitino played. In 96, when Ricky P won it all, they did not press as much as they had. They played stifling man to man D and got a lot of steals for easy transition points. Yes, as a UK fan we are due for a Final Four berth. We are a missed 3 pointer in 99, a Bogans badly sprained ankle in 03, and a missed rebound in 05, from going to 4 Final fours in 9 years under Tubby. Yes, there is a negative. I have some issues with the inconsistent recruiting. If that can become more consistent, then I feel we are A OK. This has been discussed numerous times over the last year and a half and I will not go any further into it. I think that OTS is a great ambassador for our university and our state. Selfishly, I would like to get another National Championship as soon as possible. However, I would like for the Wildcats and especially OTS to get it, so hopefully everybody will get off of his back.

:thumb: :thumb: Great post Slink. I agree 100% on everything that you said here.

TUBBY....TUBBY....TUBBY!

I have always been a Tubby supporter and always will as long as he is at UK, Those are some great numbers. It is about time somebody posted something good about Coach Smith. I am tired of the constant threads from the Tubby bashers.

Im a Tubby supporter as well! I feel like if you do not like Tubby then you don't like The Cats and if you don't like the cats then your not a true fan! I have been a die hard fan for over 30 years.I have been around long enough to know who the true fans are. ;)

Im a Tubby supporter as well! I feel like if you do not like Tubby then you don't like The Cats and if you don't like the cats then your not a true fan! I have been a die hard fan for over 30 years.I have been around long enough to know who the true fans are. ;)

:thumb: ;)

Great point! I remember the most impressive game, to me, they had that year was when they dismantled an Auburn team and played nothing but 1/2 court M2M.