Homer Bailey, 2007 Reds Starter?

Where will Homer be on Opening Day?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Homer be on Opening Day?

• Reds' Opening Day Roster
    • Louisville's roster

Bailey will be in major league camp, but nobody is committing to much quite yet. I asked Jerry Narron how he'd treat Bailey in camp -- as a starter or a reliever or what. "We'’ll treat him like a guy who pitched in AA last year."

Wayne Krivsky was asked if he's ruled out Bailey starting the season with the Reds. He said he hasn't.

"I'm not going to say no to anything, it's just let's not get too excited," Krivsky said. "Let's let it play out. He hasn't pitched AAA yet, he only has half a year at AA. I'm not smart enough to tell you right now what our team's going to be when we leave spring training. I'm sure heÂ’s going to go down there and compete and we'll see how it shakes out. We need spring training to evaluate everybody."

As for Homer, he said he wants to make the decision as difficult as possible for Krivsky and Narron.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/2007/01/from-stag.asp#links

Just hope the REDS fans, don't start trashing Bailey, when he struggles and he will. At the same time, don't anoint him as the next Cy Young candidate, when he has success....which he will.

Think of Bailey, as a marathon runner....it's not a sprint. I hope he has a great spring, gets quality innings and learns some tendencies of the NL hitters and works his way into the big show.

Let him walk in and not be pushed, that much I agree with Krivsky on.

:thumb: :thumb: Imo he is obviously going to be a special pitcher. I don't want to see him "rushed" in and have his confidence ruined before that he is completely ready. I also agree on the fans "trashing" him when he fails and claiming "the best ever" when he has excelent outings. He will as you said have both.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope the Reds let him develope in their farm system. Bailey has a lot of potential to be a really good pitcher and having patience with him is a key for his and the Reds success. I have enough confidence in the guys in charge that they will make the right decision when deciding to bring Bailey to the majors.

I meant more about the pitch itself. I have heard the words, curveball, change up and breaking ball and was curious on the difference of the three, if any.

I understand the concept of changing up speeds, just wondering do you throw the 3 differently?

As mentioned, the curveball and breaking ball are the same. However, it is a totally different pitch from a change up, and yes, they are thrown differently. The key for the pitcher is to keep the same arm angle with all pitches as to not 'tip' his pitch to the hitter. The pitcher also wants to throw a change up with the same arm speed as he would a fastball, which again would not 'tip' the batter. The key here is the grip on the ball.