Did God create Evil? by Albert Einstein

Wanting to believe there is a God doesn't allow the person to ignore logic against a God. Trust me, I've had long conversations with this person and I can assure you he wants, but cannot believe in one.

I'll have to take your word for it in this particular case.

I think some of the disagreement between 5Wide and HHSballer is due to the application of the question. HHSBaller is answering the question in a specific case (apparently a personal friend), while 5Wide is asking the question in a universal sense.

In my opinion, in this instance, both are probably correct. In the case of an individual, that person may not be able to believe, in spite of a deep desire to.

In the larger picture (as I believe 5Wide is addressing), I think that a person relying solely on logic and rational thought could never come to a conclusion as to the existence of God. Without empirical evidence, logic and rational thought alone would not lead one to believe in the existence of God (some amount of faith would be required to reach that conclusion). Likewise, based solely on logic and rational thought, one would not be able to conclude with certainty that God does not exist (logically speaking, it is impossible to prove a universal negative).

Frances

I think that's a pretty accurate statement. I just think a person saying they want to believe in God, but can't is false. I tend to believe that they are skeptical from the start, and thus, from that starting point, you will always find a way to explain away the existence of God. On the flipside, if you truly want to believe, then there is more than enough out there to conclude that there is a God.

If the person in question truly wants to believe in God, then I think we (Christians) should pray for him. If he truly and sincerely wants to then I have zero doubt that God will reveal himself and the truth to him...

...but forgive me if I'm just a little skeptical of whether the person really wants to believe.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic