NKY Girls Basketball Top 10 (12/11/23)

Okay, a disclaimer this week, I really struggled with this week's top 10.  So much so, that I talked to a lot of people yesterday about their thoughts (and in admitting this, am probably going to out myself to a couple of people), because the top of this poll is difficult this week (the bottom too, if we are being honest, but I know that will get less attention).  I absolutely think Cooper has the best team in the area, and I know they played the MoCo game on the 2nd day of a travel-heavy back-to-back, but I can't ignore that they lost to MoCo while undefeated Notre Dame beat MoCo by 22 points.  It is just a poll, I get it, but I take this very seriously, and I want the girls and the coaches that pour themselves into their season to feel like they are noticed, their results are seen and noticed, and that I'm not "just" doing this to drive conversation and attention to all of the good basketball being played. 

Also, as much as NewCath did nothing wrong in taking the week off, they fall out on the strength of St. Henry's impressive road win at Oldham County, so Coach Smart & Co., we see you! 

Everyone will have ample time to sort things out on the court, and I expect Coach Holthaus & the Lady Jags to do just that when the dust settles, but for now, we have a new #1.  Also, I feel badly for Coach Haitz and the Lady Raiders, they did nothing to deserve dropping a spot, but that is how the poll fell this week.

Lastly, we have more great games this week, including Cooper hosting Purcell (with one of the nation's top players, Dee Alexander) and a great game between SK & Dixie, so get out to watch some great girls' basketball!  This area is loaded with great teams, terrific coaches, and wonderful players of all ages, so they are worthy of your support!  Now, without further ado, here is this week's NKY Top 10 (don't throw anything at me please!!).

1.  Notre Dame:  6-0 [3-0 last week]  This week:  vs Beechwood and at Assumption

2.  Cooper:  3-2 [1-2]  This week:  vs Purcell Marian (OH), vs Conner, and vs Russell

3.  Ryle:  3-1 [1-0]  This week:  at Mt Notre Dame (OH) and vs Boone County

4.  Holy Cross:  4-2 [3-0]  This week:  vs Seton (OH)

5.  Simon Kenton:  5-1 [3-0]  This week:  at Dixie and vs Walton Verona

6.  Dixie:  4-1 [1-1]  This week:  vs Simon Kenton and at NewCath

7.  Conner:  2-2 [1-1]  This week:  vs Highlands, at Cooper, and vs South Oldham

8.  Bishop Brossart:  5-0 [3-0]  This week:  at Augusta and vs Campbell County

9.  Highlands:  2-4 [1-2]  This week:  at Conner

10.  St. Henry:  4-1 [2-0]  This week:  vs Pendleton County and at Nicholson County

==============================================================

8th:  Grant County 2-3, Walton Verona 2-4

9th:  NewCath 2-1, Lloyd 2-3, Boone County 2-3, and Beechwood 2-3

10th:  Campbell County 3-1, Scott 2-1, and Pendleton County 3-3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If Cooper redeems itself by crushing Conner this week who NDA only beat by 3 and 8, will that be enough (to bounce back in the polls) or does that MoCo loss sting that bad.  Looks like MoCo couldn't hit the side of the barn when they played NDA, 1 for 11 from 3's that night....ugh! Only making 14 FGs in total.....WOW!

Glad to see my Birds hanging on in the Top 10, was a nice bounce back win vs North Oldham....like seeing the youngster Maren Orme (8th grader), putting in 11 pts in that game....as Dickie V would say, she's a "Diaper Dandy".  LOL  The experience these youngster are getting is huge for the future of the program.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrankNicodemus said:

If Cooper redeems itself by crushing Conner this week who NDA only beat by 3 and 8, will that be enough (to bounce back in the polls) or does that MoCo loss sting that bad.  Looks like MoCo couldn't hit the side of the barn when they played NDA, 1 for 11 from 3's that night....ugh! Only making 14 FGs in total.....WOW!

Glad to see my Birds hanging on in the Top 10, was a nice bounce back win vs North Oldham....like seeing the youngster Maren Orme (8th grader), putting in 11 pts in that game....as Dickie V would say, she's a "Diaper Dandy".  LOL  The experience these youngster are getting is huge for the future of the program.

Frank, I know that you follow the Birds like I do in every sport.  You make the statement about the youngsters in the program, which I have heard really good things about, but this seems to be a trend with the girls program over the last several years.  Good young talent that doesn’t seem to make it to their Junior or Senior year.  What is happening to cause this?  Volleyball? Soccer? Softball?  

2 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

Okay, a disclaimer this week, I really struggled with this week's top 10.  So much so, that I talked to a lot of people yesterday about their thoughts (and in admitting this, am probably going to out myself to a couple of people), because the top of this poll is difficult this week (the bottom too, if we are being honest, but I know that will get less attention).  I absolutely think Cooper has the best team in the area, and I know they played the MoCo game on the 2nd day of a travel-heavy back-to-back, but I can't ignore that they lost to MoCo while undefeated Notre Dame beat MoCo by 22 points.  It is just a poll, I get it, but I take this very seriously, and I want the girls and the coaches that pour themselves into their season to feel like they are noticed, their results are seen and noticed, and that I'm not "just" doing this to drive conversation and attention to all of the good basketball being played. 

Also, as much as NewCath did nothing wrong in taking the week off, they fall out on the strength of St. Henry's impressive road win at Oldham County, so Coach Smart & Co., we see you! 

Everyone will have ample time to sort things out on the court, and I expect Coach Holthaus & the Lady Jags to do just that when the dust settles, but for now, we have a new #1.  Also, I feel badly for Coach Haitz and the Lady Raiders, they did nothing to deserve dropping a spot, but that is how the poll fell this week.

Lastly, we have more great games this week, including Cooper hosting Purcell (with one of the nation's top players, Dee Alexander) and a great game between SK & Dixie, so get out to watch some great girls' basketball!  This area is loaded with great teams, terrific coaches, and wonderful players of all ages, so they are worthy of your support!  Now, without further ado, here is this week's NKY Top 10 (don't throw anything at me please!!).

1.  Notre Dame:  6-0 [3-0 last week]  This week:  vs Beechwood and at Assumption

2.  Cooper:  3-2 [1-2]  This week:  vs Purcell Marian (OH), vs Conner, and vs Russell

3.  Ryle:  3-1 [1-0]  This week:  at Mt Notre Dame (OH) and vs Boone County

4.  Holy Cross:  4-2 [3-0]  This week:  vs Seton (OH)

5.  Simon Kenton:  5-1 [3-0]  This week:  at Dixie and vs Walton Verona

6.  Dixie:  4-1 [1-1]  This week:  vs Simon Kenton and at NewCath

7.  Conner:  2-2 [1-1]  This week:  vs Highlands, at Cooper, and vs South Oldham

8.  Bishop Brossart:  5-0 [3-0]  This week:  at Augusta and vs Campbell County

9.  Highlands:  2-4 [1-2]  This week:  at Conner

10.  St. Henry:  4-1 [2-0]  This week:  vs Pendleton County and at Nicholson County

==============================================================

8th:  Grant County 2-3, Walton Verona 2-4

9th:  NewCath 2-1, Lloyd 2-3, Boone County 2-3, and Beechwood 2-3

10th:  Campbell County 3-1, Scott 2-1, and Pendleton County 3-3

I watched NDA vs Mon-Co  and Cooper vs SHA recently on NFHS. I don’t think you have to apologize for changing these rankings. Cooper has all the D1 talent. They are the reigning champs. But they are 3-2 and they lost to a common opponent. 
NDA is 6-0. They are better than people think. They are no longer a team with a good post and a 3 point threat that if you puppy guard you have a good chance of beating. They have multiple shooters now and play good defense. 
Thru 6 games

NDA            Cooper

Shooting %     42.                 41.                     
3pt %.              27.                  33

FThrow.           62.                 66

rebnds/gm.      32.                24

I understand why it is an uncomfortable change and probably unpopular but I will buy what you’re selling. If this week proves anything I think it’s that the 9th is not Coopers alone. They can be beat. 

I will admit to being wrong about Palmer in the preseason player rankings. She is proving to be the leader on Coopers team and is making a case to be the Regions best. Congrats to her for a great start to her senior season!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Frank, I know that you follow the Birds like I do in every sport.  You make the statement about the youngsters in the program, which I have heard really good things about, but this seems to be a trend with the girls program over the last several years.  Good young talent that doesn’t seem to make it to their Junior or Senior year.  What is happening to cause this?  Volleyball? Soccer? Softball?  

I know this is off topic a little but I will try to keep it short (but I will maybe fail) not to disrespect @The Double Deuce NKY Girls topic....but it's somewhat relevant b/c we are discussing Highlands girls basketball and the lack of maintaining upperclassmen....

IMHO I believe 110% that it is the fact that so many sports now (basketball, soccer, volleyball) can now be played year around.  Therefore, you see all these talented 8th graders - Sophomore athletes and then all of a sudden someone either gets in their ear or maybe they just love one sport more then the others and feel the need to concentrate on 1 instead of spreading themselves thin trying to play multiple sports throughout the year but seeing their teammates getting better, more playing time, etc, bc they play that 1 only sport all year..... (this paragraph probably could be its only thread and I am sure multiple schools feel this pain).

So to circle back to HHS girls basketball it will be interesting to see how many of this group stays with basketball since I know 6 out of the 15 on the Highlands roster is also in the soccer program, for example.  Plus they are great at it!!!  So the struggle will be there.... Case in point I think around 7 of this years Senior class that were on the Highlands soccer team was in the Basketball program at one point "around" their Freshmen year, and they all decided to follow their soccer dream instead.

On 12/11/2023 at 12:47 PM, FrankNicodemus said:

I know this is off topic a little but I will try to keep it short (but I will maybe fail) not to disrespect @The Double Deuce NKY Girls topic....but it's somewhat relevant b/c we are discussing Highlands girls basketball and the lack of maintaining upperclassmen....

IMHO I believe 110% that it is the fact that so many sports now (basketball, soccer, volleyball) can now be played year around.  Therefore, you see all these talented 8th graders - Sophomore athletes and then all of a sudden someone either gets in their ear or maybe they just love one sport more then the others and feel the need to concentrate on 1 instead of spreading themselves thin trying to play multiple sports throughout the year but seeing their teammates getting better, more playing time, etc, bc they play that 1 only sport all year..... (this paragraph probably could be its only thread and I am sure multiple schools feel this pain).

So to circle back to HHS girls basketball it will be interesting to see how many of this group stays with basketball since I know 6 out of the 15 on the Highlands roster is also in the soccer program, for example.  Plus they are great at it!!!  So the struggle will be there.... Case in point I think around 7 of this years Senior class that were on the Highlands soccer team was in the Basketball program at one point "around" their Freshmen year, and they all decided to follow their soccer dream instead.

So the Girls Soccer program is stealing players from Coach Richey? I'm sure that's not going over very well. I would hate to be that Soccer coach. Like you said, it will be interesting to see if those youngsters stick it out with Basketball or if Highlands has a new Girls Soccer coach in the next few years. 

57 minutes ago, BirdDaddy said:

So the Girls Soccer program is stealing players from Coach Richey? I'm sure that's not going over very well. I would hate to be that Soccer coach. Like you said, it will be interesting to see if those youngsters stick it out with Basketball or if Highlands has a new Girls Soccer coach in the next few years. 

I think "stealing" is to harsh of a word.  I would use the phrase that these student athletes are gravitating to the sport that they are more interested in and more committed too when they get older, when they feel that they need to pick one or the other.  

I am sure (maybe) that the soccer programs success (I.e. Have won Region 4 out of the last 6 years) might have something to do with it.....Whereas, when is the last time Highlands girls basketball won Region?  This maybe has nothing to do with it, I am just stating facts that might be in the back of these girls minds.

22 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I think "stealing" is to harsh of a word.  I would use the phrase that these student athletes are gravitating to the sport that they are more interested in and more committed too when they get older, when they feel that they need to pick one or the other.  

I am sure (maybe) that the soccer programs success (I.e. Have won Region 4 out of the last 6 years) might have something to do with it.....Whereas, when is the last time Highlands girls basketball won Region?  This maybe has nothing to do with it, I am just stating facts that might be in the back of these girls minds.

No clue about when the last time Basketball won the region. I agree that Winning attracts kids to certain sports. Like Softball and Baseball. They have sustained a level of success the last couple of years that kids just want to be part of. I see the Football program on the same path. Some programs up there the kids are treated like Rock Stars. Others I am not so sure about.