Boyle County 41 Covington Catholic 0 (4A State Championship)

theguru

Congratulations to Boyle County on a very impressive championship win and season, as well as to Covington Catholic on a great season. Plenty have said it, myself included, but Boyle County is the best team in all of Kentucky high school football this year, and very well may be next year. I honestly didn’t know what to expect, but I truly believe that Boyle County answered any questions had by anyone else about them, because Covington Catholic has a very good football team and it’s not like them to lose this way at this point of the season. Congratulations again to both teams on excellent seasons and to the Rebels on your most impressive championship ever, which says a lot.

11 minutes ago, BrosefStalin said:

Where do we put Boyle 23 in terms of best teams in KY over last 20 years? 

2011 Trinity will always be the one to beat. To take your question in a slightly different direction, I think this team is the best Boyle team ever, until next year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

During this 4-year run Boyle Co, is 53-3. Boyle has now won 20 straight games their last loss was October 28, 2022, a 37-6 loss at home to Frederick Douglass. That's a heck of run they have going currently.

The thing about runs is that each opponent brings their best, and that makes continuing the run more impressive.

• Like 3

From the KHSAA:

The 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine Class 4A Football State Final concluded at Kroger Field at the University of Kentucky in Lexington on Friday.

Boyle County earned its fourth consecutive and 12th overall state championship in school history with a 41-0 win over Covington Catholic.

· Box Score (PDF)

· Bracket (KHSAA/Riherds Scoreboard)

· Mingua Beef Jerky Most Valuable Player

For more information on the 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine Football State Finals, visit: https://khsaa.org/11-29-23-uk-healthcare-sports-medicine-football-state-finals-to-kick-off-at-kroger-field/

I know Eviston was taking some heat in the game thread and has all year, but I think this was one of his best coaching jobs. This Cov Cath team was lacking in the star player category. A lot of very good players but the only "star" on this team is Willie. Compare that with the star power on Boyle County. When you get to this level of game, that star power is a difference maker. I think this Cov Cath team overachieved to get to the title game.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I know Eviston was taking some heat in the game thread and has all year, but I think this was one of his best coaching jobs. This Cov Cath team was lacking in the star player category. A lot of very good players but the only "star" on this team is Willie. Compare that with the star power on Boyle County. When you get to this level of game, that star power is a difference maker. I think this Cov Cath team overachieved to get to the title game.

Corbin was the only team with similar Star power, I don't think that game being the closest all year was a coincidence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JellyRoll said:

I hate to say this but…

I believe Justin Haddix may end up supplanting Chuck Smith as the greatest Boyle coach ever 

Haddix is a good Coach… but he walked into program that has everything in place to do what they do… 

Chuck Smith walked into Boyle in 1992 and built everything from the ground up… apples and oranges comparison!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, okie1 said:

Haddix is a good Coach… but he walked into program that has everything in place to do what they do… 

Chuck Smith walked into Boyle in 1992 and built everything from the ground up… apples and oranges comparison!

I just had that exact same conversation with my wife on the drive back to NKY.

• Like 3