Boyle County 41 Covington Catholic 0 (4A State Championship)

theguru

1 hour ago, burreaux said:

Corbin was the only team with similar Star power, I don't think that game being the closest all year was a coincidence.

Wish I would’ve gotten eyes on the RedHounds this season - I assume they were one of the top few teams in the state.

Congratulations to the Rebels !!  The offensive skill players get a lot of copy and it's understandable why they do.  But Boyle's oline and dline played very well this year.  Brock Driver at LB would be one of the best players on a LOT of teams in Ky and is a stud.  Tavi is the most talented player on this team but Avery Bodner, Sage Dawson, Jayce Crowe, Austin Gourley, Keenan Stuart and the other Sr's leave the program with a legacy of hard work, leadership and a handful of RINGS !  This team worked, played for each other, didn't worry about stats and put together one of the best seasons in Boyle's history.  Congrats to a great team and a great coaching staff.  Coach Haddix is carving himself quite a legacy in Boyle County. 

• Like 2

I asked if last week's game was essentially the state championship game.  I was told not to discount Cov Cath in a state championship game, that aged well. 

I meant that as no disrespect to Cov Cath, it just seemed like Boyle wasn't going to be touched on their way to a title. 

9 hours ago, AgainstTheGrain said:

Wow just wow! Thought the Colonels would be competitive. Didn't see that sense of urgency on offense and is the QB draw the main offensive play?

It’s been way too much of the offense for a few years.   IMO. The option was a newer wrinkle that had some success.  
I would have expected some throws/ lobs toWillie against the fast but shorter DBs.  The sweeps and WR screens CC use so much obviously don’t work against that team speed.  

• Like 1

Yeah that didn’t go well! 

Congrats to Boyle and their fans. Obviously a very, very good team. Quisenberry must have forced 20 to 25 missed tackles. He’s a special player.

It’s hard to win games when you don’t make the other team miss and they usually are making the first two defenders miss. If you struggle to get off blocks and struggle to tackle, you’re probably not going to win. 

It wouldn’t have mattered, but I hated Eviston punting on 4th and 1 from our own 35 in the 1st qtr. We have a 6’5 QB, just sneak it. Haddix goes for it the next drive on 4th and 2 from his own 40 or 45 and that leads to a TD. 

I was very impressed by Boyle’s defense, they were squatting on every route under 15 yards. Eventually we needed to try to hit them over the top with a go ball, double move or post and have our WR high point it since obviously we were not running away from them. 

Nothing to hang your head about for the Cov Cath guys, still a very good season. Unfortunately, unless Quisenberry transfers to IMG or something, we’re not beating them in 24.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I know Eviston was taking some heat in the game thread and has all year, but I think this was one of his best coaching jobs. This Cov Cath team was lacking in the star player category. A lot of very good players but the only "star" on this team is Willie. Compare that with the star power on Boyle County. When you get to this level of game, that star power is a difference maker. I think this Cov Cath team overachieved to get to the title game.

I thought he was much, much better this year than the previous couple. 

To be fair, it really would not have mattered who we had coaching last night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

I'd say Brock's stock just rose considerably after last nights game.  

He 

2 minutes ago, CCHFC said:

I thought he was much, much better this year than the previous couple. 

To be fair, it really would not have mattered who we had coaching last night. 

He certainly turned up the level in the playoffs.