Spencer County 80 Grant County 74

16 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

Darn, can Grant County really beat a decent team?

15 hours ago, Adrian Woj Burner said:

Though they have some good wins, they are yet to beat a “good” team in the 8th other than Oldham County, however they are a different monster now than when the Braves blew them out by 30+. 

Point 1:  watching Grant County yesterday, these two scores stood out in my mind, under the heading of "how in the world"?

Grant County 85

South Oldham 62

and 

Grant County 88

Oldham County 53

I saw the South game, and the brief explanation is, South came out looking good and was up I think 7 after a quarter.  Grant overtook them to lead by half, and was up 8-12 most of the 3rd quarter.  At some point (my interpretation) the coach was a bit ticked off by the, umm, action, and benched most of his starters for the 4th - and Grant ballooned the lead to 23 by game's end.  For the OC game, I recall hearing Hammonds (wonderful player, but was shooting 17% on threes entering the game, on very few attempts) made something like 6 of 7 treys.  

Point 2:   I'm a little surprised at the way South Oldham is viewed on this board relative to OC.  Meaning, I'm not surprised at the lack of respect for South - two bad seasons and this one is mediocre and you get respect when you earn it.  More so I'm surprised at the respect given Oldham County.  South is 10-9, Oldham County is 10-8.  They played - at Oldham - to a two point game.  Oldham lost to an 0-10 Doss team, lost to Grant by 35.  Again, not complaining about South being slighted, just surprised at the benefit of the doubt given our rival in Buckner......

9 minutes ago, Mojocat said:

Point 1:  watching Grant County yesterday, these two scores stood out in my mind, under the heading of "how in the world"?

Grant County 85

South Oldham 62

and 

Grant County 88

Oldham County 53

I saw the South game, and the brief explanation is, South came out looking good and was up I think 7 after a quarter.  Grant overtook them to lead by half, and was up 8-12 most of the 3rd quarter.  At some point (my interpretation) the coach was a bit ticked off by the, umm, action, and benched most of his starters for the 4th - and Grant ballooned the lead to 23 by game's end.  For the OC game, I recall hearing Hammonds (wonderful player, but was shooting 17% on threes entering the game, on very few attempts) made something like 6 of 7 treys.  

Point 2:   I'm a little surprised at the way South Oldham is viewed on this board relative to OC.  Meaning, I'm not surprised at the lack of respect for South - two bad seasons and this one is mediocre and you get respect when you earn it.  More so I'm surprised at the respect given Oldham County.  South is 10-9, Oldham County is 10-8.  They played - at Oldham - to a two point game.  Oldham lost to an 0-10 Doss team, lost to Grant by 35.  Again, not complaining about South being slighted, just surprised at the benefit of the doubt given our rival in Buckner......

I was there and watched all four games yesterday, I had not seen South this year.  In my opinion Grant will beat neither of these two teams if they were to play this week.  I think also that South and Oldham County are pretty darn equal.

Fair take. Three differences between south and OC in my mind. First- schedules. South is way easier. Multiple gimmees.  Records similar but how they got there not.  Secondly- I’ve said a number of times regarding OC- new coach, new system, almost all new players. Huge learning curve and tremendous opportunity to improve. Most of this doesn’t apply to south or if it does to a lesser degree.  Same coach. Same system. Lots of returners. Cake baked to a degree.  Third- impact player who can take game over. OC has it. North has it. Collins. Grant. Owen etc. and south doesn’t.  All the leads to OC getting a much greater benefit of doubt for me fwiw.   That being said- I have to admit I was wrong and south is not as bad as I thought they would be. Regarding Doss- coincidentally almost everything I said about Oldham applies to Doss!  Doss had Lex cat beat when they were winless and I think they just had desales down big and blew both games. New coach. New scheme. New players. Player who can take over. Oddly similar story to OC 

28 minutes ago, Mojocat said:

Here’s my viewpoint….

Oldham County: Although they had a rough start to the season, this team is here to stay. They have every piece you need to make a run in the region, along with one of the best players in the 8th Region in Max Green.

South Oldham: They have the ability to beat anyone in the region, along with lose to anyone. They live or die by the three, and it has showed throughout the season. Also, they do not have a big dominance in the paint, causing them to struggle against bigs. You saw this against Oldham County vs Amburgey, who is not a top player in the region.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Hoopstars said:

Fair take. Three differences between south and OC in my mind. First- schedules. South is way easier. Multiple gimmees.  Records similar but how they got there not.  Secondly- I’ve said a number of times regarding OC- new coach, new system, almost all new players. Huge learning curve and tremendous opportunity to improve. Most of this doesn’t apply to south or if it does to a lesser degree.  Same coach. Same system. Lots of returners. Cake baked to a degree.  Third- impact player who can take game over. OC has it. North has it. Collins. Grant. Owen etc. and south doesn’t.  All the leads to OC getting a much greater benefit of doubt for me fwiw.   That being said- I have to admit I was wrong and south is not as bad as I thought they would be. Regarding Doss- coincidentally almost everything I said about Oldham applies to Doss!  Doss had Lex cat beat when they were winless and I think they just had desales down big and blew both games. New coach. New scheme. New players. Player who can take over. Oddly similar story to OC 

Actually South has more than one player who can take over a game, it's called the 3.

1 hour ago, 4 Quarters said:

I was there and watched all four games yesterday, I had not seen South this year.  In my opinion Grant will beat neither of these two teams if they were to play this week.  I think also that South and Oldham County are pretty darn equal.

I’ve not seen a box score yet, but South hit a bunch of threes yesterday, and naturally they’ll look a lot better when that happens.  Henry County, God love ‘em, is pretty bad, and yet it was a 10 point game in the 3rd.  South’s point guard was out, and when he’s out they sometimes have trouble getting into their offense.  But then the 3s parade started, and it went from 10 to 30 in no time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoopstars said:

All of that is a reasonable basis to form an opinion, won’t argue with it. Regarding having someone to take over a game, of course Green, Roberts, Hammonds and  Moore can do that, and in fact have pretty often.  The kid at Collins is a good athlete and fine player, but has never struck me as the kind of offensive force (and  Collins is arguably as good or better than any of those teams).  Is that a function of his personality?  The head coach’s philosophy?  Not sure.  Splitting hairs here…..

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mojocat said:

All of that is a reasonable basis to form an opinion, won’t argue with it. Regarding having someone to take over a game, of course Green, Roberts, Hammonds and  Moore can do that, and in fact have pretty often.  The kid at Collins is a good athlete and fine player, but has never struck me as the kind of offensive force (and  Collins is arguably as good or better than any of those teams).  Is that a function of his personality?  The head coach’s philosophy?  Not sure.  Splitting hairs here…..

Good catch. After I threw them in there I almost deleted it- his athleticism is unique but probably not gonna take over the game in sense of scoring. And my opinion why he doesn’t is a little bit of both- gaither teams do play a pretty conservative style. 

• Like 1

Yes, they do, and he must be a pretty fair coach.  At one point I thought he might get the Ballard job in the spring.  Out of curiosity I just looked up the Goodin kid’s stats, and honestly he’s putting together a really impressive season.  20 points a game, 58% from the field, 54% from 3 and 82% from the free throw line. That’s as impressive to me as a kid averaging 25 or 30 and putting up a ton of shots and shooting a lower percentage.  Still, I don’t think of him as a kid who’ll get you 5 or 6 buckets in a row during crunch time to settle the thing.  Again, not that he couldn’t……

3 hours ago, Mojocat said:

Yes, they do, and he must be a pretty fair coach.  At one point I thought he might get the Ballard job in the spring.  Out of curiosity I just looked up the Goodin kid’s stats, and honestly he’s putting together a really impressive season.  20 points a game, 58% from the field, 54% from 3 and 82% from the free throw line. That’s as impressive to me as a kid averaging 25 or 30 and putting up a ton of shots and shooting a lower percentage.  Still, I don’t think of him as a kid who’ll get you 5 or 6 buckets in a row during crunch time to settle the thing.  Again, not that he couldn’t……

He is an incredible player, and extremely underrated in the region. His ability to control a game is unreal, however I will agree that I do not see him as a "takeover" guy. He is extremely consistent throughout the game, and that might help you out more than taking over a game in the long run. 

• Like 1