Coach Pay

Hearsay

I don't know that I've ever seen a thread on this before.  I would like to know what everyone thinks/knows about the average head coach and assistant coach salary/pay/stipend to coach high school football is, or, if they know, what it is at their school.  If a public school, that information may well be public information, although I can see where what the specifics are may be rolled into a total pay figure if the coach is also a certified/classified employee at the school as well.  However, private schools of course do not have to publish that.  Corollary question, developed in discussion in the stands while we were getting our tails kicked in the state title game, how much money is paid to Hunter Cantwell, Doug Beaumont, Chris Redman, Keith Towbridge, and Bilal Powell (middle school head coach) to coach at CAL?

• Like 1

Like you said public school it’s public record. Now finding that info without contacting the school might be difficult. As far as private schools go I’m not sure those guys make as much money as you think. The HC or others might have positions within the school that really should count toward coaching pay. So the books say you get paid X to coach and paid Y to be the whatever of school climate (or whatever job title). 

Now you take a guy like Redman who I’m sure is a para pro. He is probably making more than the average assistant across the state but not nearly as much as some think. 

2 minutes ago, barrel said:

Like you said public school it’s public record. Now finding that info without contacting the school might be difficult. As far as private schools go I’m not sure those guys make as much money as you think. The HC or others might have positions within the school that really should count toward coaching pay. So the books say you get paid X to coach and paid Y to be the whatever of school climate (or whatever job title). 

Now you take a guy like Redman who I’m sure is a para pro. He is probably making more than the average assistant across the state but not nearly as much as some think. 

I'm assistant track coach at St. X and my pay is less than what JCPS pays but I don't do it for the money. I know St. X football coach is on salary and works at school so I assume he makes teacher salary plus head coach stipend but I don't know for sure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

See, I was not aware that chart existed.  So the head coach at Male makes the same as the head coach at Western to be the head coach of the varsity football team?  Is there a restriction/cap on the number of assistant coaches a given school may choose to employ?

7 minutes ago, barrel said:

Now I, personally, have no presuppositions about what private school coaches make.  I really don't know. People were throwing around all kinds of grandiose figures, but they don't really know.  However, there is no restriction on what a private school could choose to pay, is there?

24 minutes ago, Hearsay said:

Now I, personally, have no presuppositions about what private school coaches make.  I really don't know. People were throwing around all kinds of grandiose figures, but they don't really know.  However, there is no restriction on what a private school could choose to pay, is there?

Only restriction would be how much of the budget they want allocate for coach. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hearsay said:

See, I was not aware that chart existed.  So the head coach at Male makes the same as the head coach at Western to be the head coach of the varsity football team?  Is there a restriction/cap on the number of assistant coaches a given school may choose to employ?

Not sure on what assistant coach quota there is. Probably as many as AD will let them have. 

12 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Not sure on what assistant coach quota there is. Probably as many as AD will let them have. 

In many cases there is a limit on stipends. I think most places allow stipends to be divided in half or even in quarters. So quotas of paid coaches will vary based on the number of stipends allocated and how/if they can be divided. Beyond that, I’m not sure there is a limit to the number of volunteer coaches allowed.

• Like 1

I would venture to say while Fayette Co. Public Schools is one of the top 5 in the state in teachers salaries they are towards the bottom of the state in what they pay their coaches. Below is the link to the 2022-23 FCPS salary schedule.

https://www.fcps.net/cms/lib/KY01807169/Centricity/Domain/2277/salaries_2223.pdf

To save you some time since it is such a large document the coaches pay is on page 15.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

I would venture to say while Fayette Co. Public Schools is one of the top 5 in the state in teachers salaries they are towards the bottom of the state in what they pay their coaches. Below is the link to the 2022-23 FCPS salary schedule.

https://www.fcps.net/cms/lib/KY01807169/Centricity/Domain/2277/salaries_2223.pdf

To save you some time since it is such a large document the coaches pay is on page 15.

Some positions are paid higher, some are lower. For the most part they are in the same ballpark as some of the other stipends I’ve seen.

What should a head football coach be paid?

From what I have seen in the past high administrators making six figures are a dime a dozen and with that in mind I believe high school football coaches that also teach (or whatever they do fulltime) should also being making six figures too.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hearsay said:

There is no restriction in private schools and really there isn’t any restrictions in public schools. Just with public there are more hoops/barriers than privates. Your hands are possibly even less tied if you are a private same sex school. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, theguru said:

What should a head football coach be paid?

From what I have seen in the past high administrators making six figures are a dime a dozen and with that in mind I believe high school football coaches that also teach (or whatever they do fulltime) should also being making six figures too.

Of course the first question people are going to ask is where is that money going to come from. Also no way the HC at every program deserves six figures. The pressure HC already feel (even typical bottom level programs) is pretty high. 

I know much less about other sports and coaching. I know HS football is being treated more and more like the college level. Unrealistic expectations and unrealistic understanding of how things work. Being a football HC is a ridiculous level of administration. All the crap those guys are in charge of and have to get done. 

I’m sure a lot of HC would like to make more money. I’ll tell you what they want more than that six figures. Admin/district support and the setup some of the top programs have. Things like athletic periods and facilities. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, barrel said:

Of course the first question people are going to ask is where is that money going to come from. Also no way the HC at every program deserves six figures. The pressure HC already feel (even typical bottom level programs) is pretty high. 

I know much less about other sports and coaching. I know HS football is being treated more and more like the college level. Unrealistic expectations and unrealistic understanding of how things work. Being a football HC is a ridiculous level of administration. All the crap those guys are in charge of and have to get done. 

I’m sure a lot of HC would like to make more money. I’ll tell you what they want more than that six figures. Admin/district support and the setup some of the top programs have. Things like athletic periods and facilities. 

Generally speaking I think a lot schools have far too many administrators, class principals, assistant principals, directors of whatever, etcetera if money is the issue.  This would include middle school and elementary school too on all the six figure jobs, most of which are much less work (and less important in my opinion) than a high school head football coach.  

I could see starting at a minimum of 20K for a head football coach and then increasing it 2K per year.  Of course I am throwing numbers out off the top of my head. 

• Like 5