Simon Kenton 67 Ryle 52

• theguru changed the title to Simon Kenton 67 Ryle 52

The fouls were being handed out in bunches. I believe the count was 27 SK and 30 for Ryle. Both teams were dealing with a very tightly called. It seemed that Ryle didn't/couldn't adjust their style of play and Simon did. SK is deep and can put multiple combinations on the floor. Ryle didn't seem to have much help off the bench. I also think Ryle was 0/?? from behind the arc. 

• Like 1

Ryle was up 9 or so in the 1st.  Ryle led at the half 29-26.  SK jumped ahead at the end of the 3rd Q 44-40.  With 3:30 left to play in the 4th SK led Ryle 51-48.  With 1:47 left SK led 56-50.  The Lady Neers went on a 11-2 run in the last minute and a half to make it look a little more one-sided than it obviously was.

First of all, credit to Simon Kenton, they are really well coached, Pernell at the point is strong and solid (and an 8th grader) and made some really big shots.  I've said it on this site 50 times, but there are 5 or 6 girls in NKY in that 2027 class that are just terrific, and Bryn is certainly sitting at the top of that heap right now.  Kudos to her, I know how hard she and her dad (now on staff at SK) work on her craft.  That said, they have some other very nice pieces and while I think this game would be tough for them to replicate, they did it when it mattered.

Ryle has 4 outstanding players, and Meredith (did she play, I'm assuming she did?) is a veteran and is solid, but beyond those 5, they are as shallow as a July driveway puddle.  They have no program depth behind this "golden generation" (sorry, I've watched a lot of soccer lately), so they are going to be dancing on a razor's edge with fouls and turned ankles on a lot of nights.  Their best nights will be good enough to beat ANYONE, but when you are that thin, the margin for success isn't very wide.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great win for SK girls. I have to be honest I was not expecting this result. The game was closer than the final score indicated. The officials were whistle happy the whole game, but when you have two teams that press a lot this will happen. Holtzman, Baker, Eubanks all fouled out in the final quarter, which proved to be the difference in the game. I agree with other posts that Ryle is not deep off the bench, so they are vulnerable to foul problems.  The pioneer girls just put a lot of pressure on the ball and held Holtzman in check for most of the game. Sk's Eggelston played a good game as did Pernell. Anna Kelch, a freshman starter was in foul trouble and played little in the first half, but came out and scored 14 in the second half. The girls coming off the bench for the Pioneers contributed in a big way.  If the Pioneers continue to play this aggressive type of game, they will be a team to be recon with this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Both teams played with a high level of intensity and in your face defense.  SK has had depth in the past, but in my memory, not like this.  SK literally goes 16 deep with players getting meaningful minutes.  Pressing the entire game serves to leverage that depth.  SK never panicked when Ryle was up early.  These players maintained composure and intensity under adversity.  Good luck to both teams going forward.  I believe this game made BOTH teams better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XFL_DAD said:

Both teams played with a high level of intensity and in your face defense.  SK has had depth in the past, but in my memory, not like this.  SK literally goes 16 deep with players getting meaningful minutes.  Pressing the entire game serves to leverage that depth.  SK never panicked when Ryle was up early.  These players maintained composure and intensity under adversity.  Good luck to both teams going forward.  I believe this game made BOTH teams better.

Welcome to BGP @XFL_DAD!

• Thanks 1