15th Region Preview

Paintsville, Johnson Central, and Lawrence County are the frontrunners this season.

Pikeville, Allen Central, Sheldon Clark, and Belfry are the next level of teams that could challenge any of the top 3.

East Ridge will be very good after a couple of down years. Coach Justice will have them among the region's elite by season's end. Magoffin County will be pretty tough, but their district is a gauntlet. Pike Central will be competitive as well as Prestonsburg. Phelps will surprise some teams as well.

The bottom dwellers are Betsy Layne, Shelby Valley, and South Floyd.

My early rankings:

1. Paintsville

2. Johnson Central

3. Lawrence County

4. Allen Central

5. Pikeville

6. Sheldon Clark

7. Belfry

8. East Ridge

9. Phelps

10. Magoffin County

11. Prestonsburg

12. Pike Central

13. Betsy Layne

14. Shelby Valley

15. South Floyd

Paintsville, Johnson Central, and Lawrence County are the frontrunners this season.

Pikeville, Allen Central, Sheldon Clark, and Belfry are the next level of teams that could challenge any of the top 3.

East Ridge will be very good after a couple of down years. Coach Justice will have them among the region's elite by season's end. Magoffin County will be pretty tough, but their district is a gauntlet. Pike Central will be competitive as well as Prestonsburg. Phelps will surprise some teams as well.

My early rankings:

1. Paintsville

2. Johnson Central

3. Lawrence County

4. Allen Central

5. Pikeville

6. Sheldon Clark

7. Belfry

8. East Ridge

9. Phelps

10. Magoffin County

11. Prestonsburg

12. Pike Central

13. Betsy Layne

14. Shelby Valley

15. South Floyd

East Ridge? Magoffin County??? What makes you think they can step it up a notch this year?

• 2 weeks later...
East Ridge? Magoffin County??? What makes you think they can step it up a notch this year?

The fact that East Ridge is very well coached and have been starting young players for a couple of years leaves them a little hungry this year to make a statement. I don't think they'll win the region or anything of that matter, but I do believe they will be competitive. I think East Ridge will make the region tournament once again this season.

Magoffin County has been doing the same, and they return a ton of starters this season with a lot of experience. I think around the region they'll beat a lot of teams. I don't think they'll make it out of their district however, and probably won't beat a team in the district once, but they'll be better than the previous years. I really don't think they'll make the region unless they get the draw where one win puts them in. Then it would still take a great upset for them to pull it off, but if a Magoffin County team was ever poised for that upset, it may just be this year's team.

The main reason these 2 teams will be better is because of experience and coaching. Other teams that have typically been ahead of them lost a lot and didn't play much JV competitively. I think they move ahead of Betsy Layne, Shelby Valley, and Pike Central this season. They were already ahead of South Floyd and will give Belfry and Prestonsburg a run for moving ahead of them. I think the top 5 or 6 teams are pretty set above the rest. But these two, I believe will move up on the list this year in the region.

My early rankings:

1. Paintsville

2. Johnson Central

3. Lawrence County

4. Allen Central

5. Pikeville

6. Sheldon Clark

7. Belfry

8. East Ridge

9. Phelps

10. Magoffin County

11. Prestonsburg

12. Pike Central

13. Betsy Layne

14. Shelby Valley

15. South Floyd

I would say that these are fairly accurate. The regional champion, I think will be decided by one of the top 3 as you have ranked, as I dont feel that there is a great deal of difference between the top 3 teams that you mentioned. All 3 teams are extremely well coached and produce consistant winners. But, I do feel that if one of the 3 were to meet either Pikeville or Allen Central in the regional tournament that either could be beaten if Carter or Little were to pitch.

If anyone doesn't realize how tough the 57th will be this year, please notice that the top 3 teams all come out of the 57th district as well as the other two teams ( #6 Sheldon Clark and #10 Magoffin Co.) each having a top 10 ranking as well. That's 4 of the top 6 teams coming out of one district.

I would say that these are fairly accurate. The regional champion, I think will be decided by one of the top 3 as you have ranked, as I dont feel that there is a great deal of difference between the top 3 teams that you mentioned. All 3 teams are extremely well coached and produce consistant winners. But, I do feel that if one of the 3 were to meet either Pikeville or Allen Central in the regional tournament that either could be beaten if Carter or Little were to pitch.

If anyone doesn't realize how tough the 57th will be this year, please notice that the top 3 teams all come out of the 57th district as well as the other two teams ( #6 Sheldon Clark and #10 Magoffin Co.) each having a top 10 ranking as well. That's 4 of the top 6 teams coming out of one district.

Wow, thats a lot of landmines in the 57th. If anybody can fill your pain I can, we had to beat Lawrence Co. and Steve Blevins his jr.& sr. years just to get to the 2nd round of districts. I assume the 57th is a blind draw, but dont hold your breath as you see it did not work for us or Lawrence Co. either. Who is hosting the 57th this yr.

Wow, thats a lot of landmines in the 57th. If anybody can fill your pain I can, we had to beat Lawrence Co. and Steve Blevins his jr.& sr. years just to get to the 2nd round of districts. I assume the 57th is a blind draw, but dont hold your breath as you see it did not work for us or Lawrence Co. either. Who is hosting the 57th this yr.
Yeah, the 57th is still a blind draw.

57th district is being held at Magoffin Co. and the 15th regional will be at Johnson Central.

Yeah, the 57th is still a blind draw.

57th district is being held at Magoffin Co. and the 15th regional will be at Johnson Central.

So if your #1 & 2 draw each other in the 1st round and lets say your #3 gets the bye you could possibly have 2 of your top 3 teams in region not even make the region tournament, right. Im guessing thats the way it could be. Im not that familiar with a 5 team district.

East Ridge is not a good team and who cares i they've been playing young kids the last couple of years if they were bad then, then chances are they are still bad. I do agree that unfortunately Shelby Valley will probably be a poor team but never count them out because they are always capabe of knocking off good teams. Haven't heard much on them though. I will Say that SV is better than ER though.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel the 15th region will be one of the weakest regions in the state this year. Due to graduation and the lack of tenure of coaches in the region. Coaches haven't had the opportunity to build their programs nor do they have the support as the other sports do. As evidence based on last years showing in the sectional tournament between Boyd and Sheldon Clark. Boyd outscored Sheldon Clark 33-2 in 2 games. The competition level in the 15th is low now and the winner will be the best of the worst. Just my thoughts and observation and watching the 15th for the last 10 years.