Self Identification

PP1

I've heard from several people in different school districts that there are students identifying as cats and dogs and are dressing like these animals on a daily basis. Apparently some schools have been putting litter boxes in high school bathrooms to accommodate these students. 

Covid-19 isolation may have had deeper consequences then I realized.

1 hour ago, PP1 said:

I've heard from several people in different school districts that there are students identifying as cats and dogs and are dressing like these animals on a daily basis. Apparently some schools have been putting litter boxes in high school bathrooms to accommodate these students. 

From someone who works in a school and has contact on a daily basis with many others, false...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PP1 said:

Which schools?

23 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Which schools?

Parents are just talking to talk. Its one of the dark sides of social media, parents/community just keep sharing posts. 

My district was one rumored for a long time last year and I check the restrooms/run kids out of them regularly. I assure you there wasn't any of this going on there and its the same for schools all over. 

• Like 1

Identifying as a furry has been pretty well debunked (not saying it hasn't occurred), but this obviously stems from anti-LGBT rhetoric. I do know schools in my area are more cognizant of asking what pronouns they prefer, but having folks identify as animals and putting up litter boxes is a classic example of people preying upon those susceptible to online bologna.

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-furries-school/fact-check-no-evidence-that-u-s-schoolchildren-are-self-identifying-as-animals-and-disrupting-classrooms-idUSL1N2YN1O2

IS THIS HAPPENING IN SCHOOLS?

Plante told Reuters that Stockton’s claims about furry or therian activity in schools are familiar to the community and researchers.

“[It has been] circulating around the internet for more than a decade: This claim that there is a pandemic of furries in schools eating out of dog bowls or barking and hissing in class,” said Plante.

“And yet, despite our having studied thousands of furries, we’ve found no evidence to support this… If there is an epidemic of kids howling and meowing in schools, you’d think it would be easier to find them and put them in front of a camera (or, at very least, one of their teachers!).”

Reuters has fact checked claims around “furries” in U.S. schools in the past and found no evidence of them disrupting classrooms or schools developing a policy of including them as a formal identity (here) and (here) and (here).

“The claims made by [Stockton] about the prevalence and social respectability of therianthropy are not supported by any of the social scientific research that has been done on the topic, by our team or by others,” said Fein.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bugatti said:

Identifying as a furry has been pretty well debunked (not saying it hasn't occurred), but this obviously stems from anti-LGBT rhetoric. I do know schools in my area are more cognizant of asking what pronouns they prefer, but having folks identify as animals and putting up litter boxes is a classic example of people preying upon those susceptible to online bologna.

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-furries-school/fact-check-no-evidence-that-u-s-schoolchildren-are-self-identifying-as-animals-and-disrupting-classrooms-idUSL1N2YN1O2

IS THIS HAPPENING IN SCHOOLS?

Plante told Reuters that Stockton’s claims about furry or therian activity in schools are familiar to the community and researchers.

“[It has been] circulating around the internet for more than a decade: This claim that there is a pandemic of furries in schools eating out of dog bowls or barking and hissing in class,” said Plante.

“And yet, despite our having studied thousands of furries, we’ve found no evidence to support this… If there is an epidemic of kids howling and meowing in schools, you’d think it would be easier to find them and put them in front of a camera (or, at very least, one of their teachers!).”

Reuters has fact checked claims around “furries” in U.S. schools in the past and found no evidence of them disrupting classrooms or schools developing a policy of including them as a formal identity (here) and (here) and (here).

“The claims made by [Stockton] about the prevalence and social respectability of therianthropy are not supported by any of the social scientific research that has been done on the topic, by our team or by others,” said Fein.

This pretty well covers it. 

There are some kids who have heard the rumors and meowed or barked in a class but kids do things that make no sense. In my HS days we heated up spoons and forks on a stovetop and branded each other. Lots of kids in NKY from lots of HS's did it. Why? Attention and the fact that teenagers just aren't that smart. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1