ACC Doing Away With Divisions Starting 2023

TheDeuce

This is good news, IMO, and long overdue. As an example, Louisville has played Virginia Tech exactly once since they joined the ACC in 2014, that's common across the league in the current format.

The top two teams in the conference will play in the Championship game. 

Louisville's three annual opponents for this cycle are Georgia Tech, Virginia and Miami. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Any chance of some ACC schools jumping to B1G and screwing all of this up?

If I'm ACC leadership, I'm spending every waking moment making sure the needs and desires of Duke, North Carolina, Clemson, and Florida State are met. I'm probably also making some phone calls to Stanford, Cal-Berkley, Arizona, Oregon, Kansas, maybe UConn, just to test the waters.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 5:50 PM, Jumper_Dad said:

Any chance of some ACC schools jumping to B1G and screwing all of this up?

There's been talk of unequal revenue sharing to keep programs like UNC, Clemson, Miami, Florida State, and Virginia happy. 

Not sustainable and would be the end of the ACC. 

Current GOR is through 2035... For any ACC team to leave before then, they'd be looking at a $100 mil exit fee. Because of that, I find it very unlikely any ACC school goes anywhere. Texas and Oklahoma are staying in the Big 12 until 2025 because of a similar exit fee. 

Best case scenario, ACC expands and can restructure their TV deal. My understanding is expansion is really their only way of changing that terrible deal they made in 2008 (?). 

The problem is... No programs out there that would actually move the needle want to go to the ACC. I do think UC and West Va would be great fits/additions.