Marcus Erickson wins the 106th running of the Indianapolis 500

Purple88

Marcus Erickson wins the 106th Running of the Indianapolis 500!  It was not his first running and Erickson was not the favorite and not the favorite on his own team (Chip Gannasi Racing), but he hung in there and around 190 really let it go and smoked the front runners at that point and was cruising with a 3 second lead (a HUGE lead if your going 200 mph) and then Jimmy Johnson touched the grass, spun out and brought out the last yellow which turned into a full course red flag with 4 laps to go!

When they got going again it was down to 2 laps as 2 laps were eaten by following the safety car.  On the restart, it was all out/all in for all drivers as Erickson zig-zagged all over the WIDE track to keep McClaren Driver Pato O'Ward behind him.  On the last lap down the final home straight, O'Ward made an attempt to pass Erickson on the outside of turn 1, but he just didn't have enough room and that led the way to Erickson's 1st Ever Indianapolis 500 Win!

It was a beautiful day at the track; lots of sun and the best thing was a nice breeze most of the day!  It was the most people at the 500 I can recall at just over 300,000 people (about 2,000 short of a complete sellout).  I have gone to about 15 Indy 500s over the years and this one was really fun, especially after the pandemic years.

Couple other items of note:

1.  Jimmy Johnson - the NASCAR Champion, had a good car and was competing really well.  It was a shame he didn't end the race running.  He earned that and has to be disappointed.  He also said he would be willing to do the "Double".  Run Indianapolis in the early afternoon and fly to Charlotte and run the Coca-Cola 600 Nascar race in the same day.  Kurt Bush was the last to do this about 6/7 years ago.  I'd like to see him try this.

2.  Scott Dixon - The favorite.  He had the best car all day.  He's on the best team.  He won from the pole in 2008 and he got a pit lane speeding violation on the second to last round of pit stops and it took him out of the race.  He'll never get over that.  

3.  Roger Penske - The Captain. Has done a REMARKABLE job of renovating and focusing on fan experience and if a prime reason you saw nearly a maxed out crown on Sunday.  GREAT JOB!  BUT who will take his place?  He's about 80 and has done more for INDY Car than anyone in the modern age.  But who's next?

4.  Indy Tradition - Indy Car is now likely 3rd spot in the US right now behind some listing of Formula 1 and NASCAR.  But the people who love IndyCar and moreso the Indianapolis 500 REALLY love it.  They may be mostly based around Indianapolis, but they are passionate!  LOVE mingling with them on race day!

Talked to a guy the row above us and his dad got those tickets (they are good tickets) in 1969 and passed them down in his will and that guys is passing them to his sons in his will.  That's incredible loyalty.

But I have to be honest, I follow F1 now and not Indy Car at all.  I still love going to the 500 as much as possible, but Left Turn U gets old.  But if you haven't gone to the 500 on Memorial Day Weekend, I strongly would recommend you getting a group and make a day of it!  You won't be sorry!

• Thanks 1