Thursday Night Football on Amazon Prime

• 2 months later...

Austin Karp of Sports Business Journal reported that the NFL averaged 16.7 million viewers for the 2022 regular season. That’s a three-percent dip from 2021, when average viewership was 17.1 million.

This past season saw TNF only being available through streaming, which averaged 9.58 million viewers. That number also includes viewership from local TV stations carrying the games in the markets of the two competing teams.

A year ago when it was available on Fox, it averaged 16.2 million viewers.

https://www.totalprosports.com/nfl/ratings-went-down-thursday-night-football-moved-to-amazon/

==================

Clearly that is a huge drop in viewers but it makes complete sense to me since Amazon is a subscription based service.  The article also goes on to say illegal streams can't be accounted for so we will never know the real number.  I would have to think several million people streamed it illegally.  I also wonder if the drop in viewers will cause the NFL/Amazon to make any changes.  Not really much to see here but I thought it was good to follow-up on this one.

Who Dey!

2 hours ago, theguru said:

Austin Karp of Sports Business Journal reported that the NFL averaged 16.7 million viewers for the 2022 regular season. That’s a three-percent dip from 2021, when average viewership was 17.1 million.

This past season saw TNF only being available through streaming, which averaged 9.58 million viewers. That number also includes viewership from local TV stations carrying the games in the markets of the two competing teams.

A year ago when it was available on Fox, it averaged 16.2 million viewers.

https://www.totalprosports.com/nfl/ratings-went-down-thursday-night-football-moved-to-amazon/

==================

Clearly that is a huge drop in viewers but it makes complete sense to me since Amazon is a subscription based service.  The article also goes on to say illegal streams can't be accounted for so we will never know the real number.  I would have to think several million people streamed it illegally.  I also wonder if the drop in viewers will cause the NFL/Amazon to make any changes.  Not really much to see here but I thought it was good to follow-up on this one.

Who Dey!

Often times, unless it's a Bengals game, I don't make it a point to tune into Thursday night games like I do with college or NFL games Saturday and Sunday.  If I happen to come across a game while channel surfing, I will likely leave it on, but that's not going to happen unless Prime is added as a channel to my cable subscription.  

1 minute ago, sportsfan41 said:

Often times, unless it's a Bengals game, I don't make it a point to tune into Thursday night games like I do with college or NFL games Saturday and Sunday.  If I happen to come across a game while channel surfing, I will likely leave it on, but that's not going to happen unless Prime is added as a channel to my cable subscription.  

I agree, I have to switch inputs to go over to Prime and it is easy but clunky when I just want to channel surf and watch some of a game.

6 minutes ago, theguru said:

I agree, I have to switch inputs to go over to Prime and it is easy but clunky when I just want to channel surf and watch some of a game.

Exactly.  Takes all of 10 seconds but I won't just happen acrossed it like I might some American Ninja Warrior or a decent college game.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theguru said:

To your larger point, I wish cable would offer everything and you could pick a la carte.  I assume if they did that I could get everything I wanted and my bill would actually go down in price. 

Which is why that will never be an option with the largest providers because they know they’ll lose money. We are all paying for stuff we never watch.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 8 months later...
8 minutes ago, theguru said:

No, go on...

It's one of the options.  I started my evening with the rapid recap, kind of a highlight of what had happened to that point in the game, 10 plays total to make it to 7 minutes left in the second.  It was OK, but kinda left me wondering if they'd picked the best plays or it was a slow game.  Final play was the first TD by San Fran.

Buddy mentioned The Prime Vision, they do additional info, stats, etc including why San Fran was favored to win at 96% after they went up 10-3, I think.  They put circles around receivers like you're watching a Madden video game.  But their routes also leaves a trail which shows you what everyone ran and it's really neat.  It, in my mind (as someone that picked up Madden the same year I started football as a high school freshmen) shows what the offense and defense are looking for.  It's pretty cool, but I could see that it's not for everyone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

It's one of the options.  I started my evening with the rapid recap, kind of a highlight of what had happened to that point in the game, 10 plays total to make it to 7 minutes left in the second.  It was OK, but kinda left me wondering if they'd picked the best plays or it was a slow game.  Final play was the first TD by San Fran.

Buddy mentioned The Prime Vision, they do additional info, stats, etc including why San Fran was favored to win at 96% after they went up 10-3, I think.  They put circles around receivers like you're watching a Madden video game.  But their routes also leaves a trail which shows you what everyone ran and it's really neat.  It, in my mind (as someone that picked up Madden the same year I started football as a high school freshmen) shows what the offense and defense are looking for.  It's pretty cool, but I could see that it's not for everyone. 

I have it on now, so far, so cool.  Thanks, I had no idea!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So I am watching the Browns and the Jets right now and another thing I really like about these games on Amazon is less commercial interruptions.  The Browns just scored a really cool TD and the broadcast stayed live until the kickoff and they went through the whole play and broke it down.  It is a way better experience on Amazon Prime. 

• Like 1