Fear 'Les' 13th Region Ratings Jan. 4 - Jan. 10

Les

Boys Top 5

1. South Laurel (10-4)

What’s the scoop: I will say this: no one in the 13th Region can lay claim to playing the toughest schedule in the region than Steve Wright’s South Laurel Cardinals.

South Laurel’s trip to North Carolina resulted in a 1-2 appearance, but the teams the Cardinals played were some of the toughest in the nation.

Surprise, surprise: I still don’t believe the Cardinals have hit stride just yet.

South Laurel has two tough games ahead next week against 11th Region’s Madison Central and Lafayette.

By the time tournament play rolls around, Wright’s squad is going to be hard to beat.

What’s ahead: The Cardinals will be back in action against Marietta Wheeler in the Nissan on Nicholasville Shootout Saturday. This will be a tough one for South Laurel.

The Cardinals will be back in action again Jan. 9 against Whitley County.

2. Bell County (8-1)

What’s the scoop: Bell County solidified its No. 2 ranking by defeating Cumberland at home 57-42 Tuesday. The Bobcats’ lone loss came to the hands of undefeated Shelby Valley during the finals of the Cumberland Falls Invitational last week.

Surprise, surprise: Despite seeing star Ryan Whitaker score only four points on 1-of-10 shooting, Bell County still managed to hand upstart Cumberland a double-digit defeat.

Brent Slusher and Josh Whitaker picked up the slack on offense and scored 19 points to lead their team to the double-digit win.

What’s ahead: Bell County will travel to Middlesboro Friday before participating in the WYMT Classic next week.

3. Corbin (9-4)

What’s the scoop: It looks as if Corbin is beginning to hit stride. The Redhounds moved up a spot and looks to do more damage in the polls this week.

I was going to keep Cumberland at this spot, but I’m not sold on the Redskins just yet.

Surprise, surprise: If you go by Dave Cantrall’s ratings, the Redhounds are the second best team in the region. I don’t know if I would go that far just yet, but Corbin has the talent to challenge for the 13th Region crown.

Another surprise is how easy Josh Crawford makes things look. He scored 38 points a couple of games ago, while adding 16 points during his team’s win over Williamsburg Tuesday.

What’s ahead: The Redhounds will host Whitley County Friday before taking off until Jan. 13.

4. Cumberland (8-2)

What’s the scoop: I’m not sure just how good the Redskins are. Cumberland hasn’t played a tough schedule, so it’s really hard to gauge the Redskins.

Surprise, surprise: Even though the Redskins limited Bell County’s Ryan Whitaker to four points, Cumberland still couldn’t win.

Ouch!

What’s ahead: Cumberland travels to Cawood Friday before hosting Middlesboro Jan. 9.

5. Clay County (7-2)

What’s the scoop: You can’t keep a good program down. The Tigers have impressed me so far this season and turned in a solid performance in the Hoopin-It-Up-Classic a couple of weeks back.

Surprise, surprise: The Tigers showed they are a team to watch out for by tournament time with the way they played against South Laurel and Trinity.

Clay County has room for improvement, but the Tigers are a dangerous team as well.

What’s ahead: Clay County will host Wayne County Friday before traveling to play Sheldon Clark Saturday.

The Best of the Rest

No. 6 North Laurel (6-6)

What’s the scoop: Another team that is catching fire is Jim Conway’s North Laurel Jaguars.

One reason why the Jaguars have been playing better lately is because of the play of Josh Seidel.

He’s one of the better players in the region.

No. 7 Jackson County (7-8)

What’s the scoop: Yes, I know, the Generals have beaten North Laurel, but I’m not too high on Jackson County right now.

It seems to me that the Generals lack depth to become a strong force in the 13th Region.

No. 8 Knox Central (6-6)

What’s the scoop: Brandon Elam’s Panthers picked up a big win Tuesday against district foe Pineville.

Knox Central’s Cody Miller continues to show that he’s one of the best young players in the state.

The Panthers could put some distance between themselves and the rest of the 51st District teams during the next week if Knox Central can knock off Barbourville Friday and Lynn Camp on Jan. 9.

We will see.

No. 9 Lynn Camp (6-4)

What’s the scoop: The Wildcats have hit a bump in the road. Lynn Camp has lost two straight at the wrong time of the season.

Anthony Pennington’s squad can turn things around with a win at Pineville Friday and a win over Knox Central on Jan. 9.

No. 10 Barbourville (6-6)

What’s the scoop: The Tigers continue the strange trend of trying to figure out a team in the 13th Region.

The Tigers have been up and down the entire season.

Just how good Barbourville really is? I don’t have an answer right now.

Les Dixon is the Sports Editor and can be reached at ldixon@thetimestribune.com. The Fear ‘Les’ 13th Region boys and girls ratings will be published in every Thursday edition of the Times-Tribune.

would you have Pineville and Harlan in it?

I'm not impressed with Pineville right now.

That's my favorite move when someone disagrees with a list of mine and a very good question in this case.

I'd have to go with Pineville and Barbourville at 9 and 10 with Cawood probably leading the next group.

Pineville has been inconsistent, but does Lynn Camp have any impressive wins yet?

That's my favorite move when someone disagrees with a list of mine and a very good question in this case.

I'd have to go with Pineville and Barbourville at 9 and 10 with Cawood probably leading the next group.

Pineville has been inconsistent, but does Lynn Camp have any impressive wins yet?

I would have to go with Pineville at #9 and Barbourville or Cawood at #10.

Well,

After watching Pineville play this past week, I'm just not impressed with the Mountain Lions at all. I believe they're underachieving right now and Lynn Camp is doing better that many expected them to do so far this season.

Granted, the Wildcats don't have a big win yet, but will get their chance in the upcoming week, that's when you might see Pineville, B'ville or Cawood in there.

I really believe Cawood could be a Top 10 team, though.

The Trojans looked good earlier in the year against Corbin, but that was a looooong time ago.