16,273 deaths reported in Iraq in 2006

HHSDad

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Government officials on Monday reported that 16,273 Iraqi civilians, soldiers and police died violent deaths in 2006, a figure larger than an independent Associated Press count for the year by more than 2,500.

The tabulation by the Iraqi ministries of Health, Defense and Interior, showed that 14,298 civilians, 1,348 police and 627 soldiers were killed in the violence that raged in the country last year.

This 16,000 figure is amazingly close to the number of murders committed in the United States each year. Maybe we've succeeded in making Iraq more like us.

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Government officials on Monday reported that 16,273 Iraqi civilians, soldiers and police died violent deaths in 2006, a figure larger than an independent Associated Press count for the year by more than 2,500.

The tabulation by the Iraqi ministries of Health, Defense and Interior, showed that 14,298 civilians, 1,348 police and 627 soldiers were killed in the violence that raged in the country last year.

This 16,000 figure is amazingly close to the number of murders committed in the United States each year. Maybe we've succeeded in making Iraq more like us.

:sssh:

Unreal, isn't it?

I agree, we can certainly do a better job in our own streets, but with 15 times as many civilians killed as soliders, sure sounds like a cilvil war to me.

I agree, we can certainly do a better job in our own streets, but with 15 times as many civilians killed as soliders, sure sounds like a cilvil war to me.

That or militants are specifically targeting civilians. The only way Iraq becomes a free, functioning state is with their own people accepting the challenge. When their own people are getting killed they are going to falter. I would say that is the current "terrorist" strategy in stopping Iraq from becoming a legitimate state and for the U.S. to have been victorious.

This morning, U.S. military leaders in Iraq were saying that two things need to happen. They need about 20,000 more troops and they need to be working in tandem with the Iraqi troops. Otherwise, things are going to get even uglier.