BluegrassPreps.com 9th Region Week 7 Review and Rankings:

...And your 2022 9h Region All 'A' Champions are the Holy Cross Indians!!! 

This is their first time winning the 9th Region All 'A' since 2012 when the Indians beat Newport Central Catholic in the finals, then winning the whole shebang in Frankfort with a championship thriller win over Bardstown 52-51. That 2012 team was lead by Antonio Campbell who went on to play for Ohio University, and is now in Kasakhstan playing professional ball for BC Astava. The All Tournament Team for Holy Cross was Jacob Meyer (MPV), Javier Ward, and Maddux Hoffman. ATT for Newport Central Catholic was Kaedon Butts, and George Simons. 

The big 9th Region game this week was the previous Numbrer 2 Highlands Bluebirds @ Dixie, where the Red Colonels came away the victors with a 77-72 win. 

And last but not least, Gary Huhn, the longtime score keeper since the mid-60's for the Holmes Bulldogs will be honored Friday, Jan. 21 for keeping score for over 1500 games. There will be a meet and greet in the Hartman room before the game. The podium will be forever known as the Gary Huhn podium. There will be a presentation between the JV and Varsity games against Campbell County, and he will be honored by the Covington Board of Education. Everyone is welcome. 

Here are the Week 7 Rankings:

1). Covington Catholic - (14-2)

The Colonels only played 1 game this week with a dominant victory over Archbishop McNicholas (Cincinnnati) 70-32. They have a busy week ahead with 4 games, first with a 35th District seeing game at Holmes on Jan. 18, a home game with Walton Verona on Jan. 20, another home game against 9th ranked Madison Central on Jan 21, then they travel to play Louisville Male on Jan. 22. 

2). Dixie Heights - (12-3) 

The Red Colonels had a productive week, first beating 8th Region's North Oldham 71-65, then taking down the previous Number 2, The Highlands Bluebirds 77-72. In the 9th Region season preview I had Dixie at Number 2, with a close running with Highlands. I've had Highlands as Number 2 all season, but this win for Dixie legitimately bumped them back in the Number 2 spot. Dixie has an away game at Beechwood on Jan. 18, the a home game with the ever tough Mason County Royals from the 10th Region on Jan. 21

3). Highlands - (11-6) 

The Bluebirds won a close one against Simon Kenton on a last second 3 pointer by Will Herald, then lost their first game this season against another 9th Region team with their loss to Dixie Heights 77-72, knocking them from the Number 2 spot. This week they have 2 home games, first against Dayton in a 36th District seeding game on Jan. 18, and then the 14th Region's, the 14-2  Breathitt County Bobcats on Jan. 22. 

4). Cooper - (14-3) 

The Jags held off a spirited Lloyd Juggernauts team in a close one 43-42 where Lloyd made a last second shot for the win that wasn't released before the buzzer sounded. Cooper also won a 33rd District seeding game against Boone County 46-32. They've 2 more 33rd District seeding games this coming week, first at Conner on Jan. 19, then a home game with Ryle on Jan. 21. 

5) Conner - (13-3)

The Cougars had their game against Grant County cancelled because of COVID, then beat Ryle in a 33rd District seeding game 63-55. This coming week they've another disctrict seeding game at home with Cooper on Jan. 19, then an away game with Lawrencburg (IN) on Jan. 21, then finally a home game with South Dearborn, (Aurora IN) on Jan 22. 

6). Holy Cross - (13-5)

The Indians won 4 games in a row to achievng their goal as 9th Region All 'A' Champs, and their first since 2012 where they were also the All 'A' State Champions. Jacob Meyer earned the MPV of the tourney scoring 19, 45, 48, and 41 respectively. Javier Ward, and Maddux Hoffman also made the All Tournament Team. The Indians will face the 11th Region All 'A' Champs, the 9-8 Sayre Spartans in the nightcap game on Jan 27, at 9:30 at the McBrayer Arena at EKU. The tournament runs from Jan. 27-30. Before this the Indians have two away games, first at Campbell County on Jan. 18, then a game at Lloyd on Jan. 21. 

7). Lloyd Memorial - (12-3)

The Juggs lost 2 heartbreakers this past week, first a 43-42 loss to the Cooper Jaguars where they made a last second shot for the win, but it wasn't released before the final buzzer sounded. Then in their loss against Campbell County, the Juggs came out on fire building a 20 point lead, but the 2nd half was all Camels who fought and scratched back with a 28-6 run to win the game 59-57. The Juggs turned the ship around with a big 76-49 win over the 1-14 Scott High Eagles. Lloyd has two big games this coming week, first at home with Newport Central Catholic on Jan 18, then another home game with Holy Cross on Jan. 21. 

8). Boone County - (9-7)

Boone County lost to Grant County 80-54, then lost in a district seeding game with Cooper 46-32. The Rebels have a 33rd District seeding game at Ryle Jan. 18, then a home game with Beechwood Jan. 20, then at 11th Region's 3-11 Model Patroits on Jan. 22. 

9). Holmes - (8-10) 

The Bulldogs went 2-0 this past week with a win over Scott 66-59, and a win over the Ryle Raiders 82-76 where Quantez Calloway scored 43 points. Holmes has 2 home games this coming week, first in a 35th District seeding game with Covington Catholic on Jan. 18, then with Campbell County on Jan. 21 where they will be honorong longstanding Bulldogs scorekeeper Gary Huhn for his keeping score for over 1500 games since the mid-60's. 

10). Newport Central Catholic - (5-10) 

First time this season I have the Thoroughbreds in the Top 10. While their W/L record isn't terribly impressive, the Breds are playing much better lately making it to the 9th Region All 'A' Finals where after being down by a lot against Holy Cross, they fought back, and finally took their first time lead at 63-62 before the Indians put their foot down and won 82-72. Justification for their move up in the rankings is that the 8-10 Ryle Raiders went 0-3 this past week. The Breds beat Ludlow 59-36, then Dayton 51-35. This week sees them at Lloyd on Jan. 18, at St. Henry Jan. 20, then at home against Holy Cross (Louisville) Jan. 22. 

11). St. Henry - (6-7)

12). Ryle - (8-11)

13). Beechwood - (5-9)

14). Newport - (3-10)

15). Villa Madonna - (4-9)

16). Ludlow - (8-6)

17). Dayton - (8-6)

18). Heritage Academy - (3-8)

19). Bellevue - (2-13)

20). Covington Latin - (0-10)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Juggman said:

Lloyd final shot against Cooper did NOT go in. Rolled around the rim and came out. Some fans were confused in the moment, but it definitely missed. 

I saw this video, and it looked like it went in, but I think you're right, it rolled around the rim, and came out. Differnt tweets that I read said that it had gone in including this tweet, so with that I just assumed that it had considering is sorta looked like it did, plus when viewing it I didn't watch in full screen. Blowing it up it looks like it rolled out. 

https://twitter.com/859Insider/status/1481080875643293697?s=20

22 hours ago, B-Ball-fan said:

...And your 2022 9h Region All 'A' Champions are the Holy Cross Indians!!! 

This is their first time winning the 9th Region All 'A' since 2012 when the Indians beat Newport Central Catholic in the finals, then winning the whole shebang in Frankfort with a championship thriller win over Bardstown 52-51. That 2012 team was lead by Antonio Campbell who went on to play for Ohio University, and is now in Kasakhstan playing professional ball for BC Astava. The All Tournament Team for Holy Cross was Jacob Meyer (MPV), Javier Ward, and Maddux Hoffman. ATT for Newport Central Catholic was Kaedon Butts, and George Simons. 

The big 9th Region game this week was the previous Numbrer 2 Highlands Bluebirds @ Dixie, where the Red Colonels came away the victors with a 77-72 win. 

And last but not least, Gary Huhn, the longtime score keeper since the mid-60's for the Holmes Bulldogs will be honored Friday, Jan. 21 for keeping score for over 1500 games. There will be a meet and greet in the Hartman room before the game. The podium will be forever known as the Gary Huhn podium. There will be a presentation between the JV and Varsity games against Campbell County, and he will be honored by the Covington Board of Education. Everyone is welcome. 

Here are the Week 7 Rankings:

1). Covington Catholic - (14-2)

The Colonels only played 1 game this week with a dominant victory over Archbishop McNicholas (Cincinnnati) 70-32. They have a busy week ahead with 4 games, first with a 35th District seeing game at Holmes on Jan. 18, a home game with Walton Verona on Jan. 20, another home game against 9th ranked Madison Central on Jan 21, then they travel to play Louisville Male on Jan. 22. 

2). Dixie Heights - (12-3) 

The Red Colonels had a productive week, first beating 8th Region's North Oldham 71-65, then taking down the previous Number 2, The Highlands Bluebirds 77-72. In the 9th Region season preview I had Dixie at Number 2, with a close running with Highlands. I've had Highlands as Number 2 all season, but this win for Dixie legitimately bumped them back in the Number 2 spot. Dixie has an away game at Beechwood on Jan. 18, the a home game with the ever tough Mason County Royals from the 10th Region on Jan. 21

3). Highlands - (11-6) 

The Bluebirds won a close one against Simon Kenton on a last second 3 pointer by Will Herald, then lost their first game this season against another 9th Region team with their loss to Dixie Heights 77-72, knocking them from the Number 2 spot. This week they have 2 home games, first against Dayton in a 36th District seeding game on Jan. 18, and then the 14th Region's, the 14-2  Breathitt County Bobcats on Jan. 22. 

4). Cooper - (14-3) 

The Jags held off a spirited Lloyd Juggernauts team in a close one 43-42 where Lloyd made a last second shot for the win that wasn't released before the buzzer sounded. Cooper also won a 33rd District seeding game against Boone County 46-32. They've 2 more 33rd District seeding games this coming week, first at Conner on Jan. 19, then a home game with Ryle on Jan. 21. 

5) Conner - (13-3)

The Cougars had their game against Grant County cancelled because of COVID, then beat Ryle in a 33rd District seeding game 63-55. This coming week they've another disctrict seeding game at home with Cooper on Jan. 19, then an away game with Lawrencburg (IN) on Jan. 21, then finally a home game with South Dearborn, (Aurora IN) on Jan 22. 

6). Holy Cross - (13-5)

The Indians won 4 games in a row to achievng their goal as 9th Region All 'A' Champs, and their first since 2012 where they were also the All 'A' State Champions. Jacob Meyer earned the MPV of the tourney scoring 19, 45, 48, and 41 respectively. Javier Ward, and Maddux Hoffman also made the All Tournament Team. The Indians will face the 11th Region All 'A' Champs, the 9-8 Sayre Spartans in the nightcap game on Jan 27, at 9:30 at the McBrayer Arena at EKU. The tournament runs from Jan. 27-30. Before this the Indians have two away games, first at Campbell County on Jan. 18, then a game at Lloyd on Jan. 21. 

7). Lloyd Memorial - (12-3)

The Juggs lost 2 heartbreakers this past week, first a 43-42 loss to the Cooper Jaguars where they made a last second shot for the win, but it wasn't released before the final buzzer sounded. Then in their loss against Campbell County, the Juggs came out on fire building a 20 point lead, but the 2nd half was all Camels who fought and scratched back with a 28-6 run to win the game 59-57. The Juggs turned the ship around with a big 76-49 win over the 1-14 Scott High Eagles. Lloyd has two big games this coming week, first at home with Newport Central Catholic on Jan 18, then another home game with Holy Cross on Jan. 21. 

8). Boone County - (9-7)

Boone County lost to Grant County 80-54, then lost in a district seeding game with Cooper 46-32. The Rebels have a 33rd District seeding game at Ryle Jan. 18, then a home game with Beechwood Jan. 20, then at 11th Region's 3-11 Model Patroits on Jan. 22. 

9). Holmes - (8-10) 

The Bulldogs went 2-0 this past week with a win over Scott 66-59, and a win over the Ryle Raiders 82-76 where Quantez Calloway scored 43 points. Holmes has 2 home games this coming week, first in a 35th District seeding game with Covington Catholic on Jan. 18, then with Campbell County on Jan. 21 where they will be honorong longstanding Bulldogs scorekeeper Gary Huhn for his keeping score for over 1500 games since the mid-60's. 

10). Newport Central Catholic - (5-10) 

First time this season I have the Thoroughbreds in the Top 10. While their W/L record isn't terribly impressive, the Breds are playing much better lately making it to the 9th Region All 'A' Finals where after being down by a lot against Holy Cross, they fought back, and finally took their first time lead at 63-62 before the Indians put their foot down and won 82-72. Justification for their move up in the rankings is that the 8-10 Ryle Raiders went 0-3 this past week. The Breds beat Ludlow 59-36, then Dayton 51-35. This week sees them at Lloyd on Jan. 18, at St. Henry Jan. 20, then at home against Holy Cross (Louisville) Jan. 22. 

11). St. Henry - (6-7)

12). Ryle - (8-11)

13). Beechwood - (5-9)

14). Newport - (3-10)

15). Villa Madonna - (4-9)

16). Ludlow - (8-6)

17). Dayton - (8-6)

18). Heritage Academy - (3-8)

19). Bellevue - (2-13)

20). Covington Latin - (0-10)

Solid job as always! The only surprise I see in this weeks list is that Dixie jumps both Highlands and Cooper especially with Cooper holding a  head to head win over Dixie on a neutral court.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UCME said:

Solid job as always! The only surprise I see in this weeks list is that Dixie jumps both Highlands and Cooper especially with Cooper holding a  head to head win over Dixie on a neutral court.  

I hear what you’re saying, and I thought about that. 

With Dixie beating Highlands, that was a big statement win. Cooper did indeed beat Dixie by 2 points on a neutral court. 

Cooper is scheduled to play Highlands, and Dixie back to back in mid February so right before tourney time we will really get a good idea of how they match up with each other when it really starts to matter most. 

Both Cooper and Dixie, and even Highlands for that matter are pretty close, and maybe even too close to call. I try to look at their whole body of work, and how they are presently playing. To avoid listing the rankings as 2a, 2b, and 2c I just have to go with my hunch when they’re so close. 

One game with Cooper that stands out with me is a one point win over Lloyd, the same Lloyd who collapsed in their game against Campbell County, building a 20 point lead only to score a mere 6 points in the 2nd half, and ultimately losing to the Camels 59-57. Lloyd indeed has the talent, but at present are a little inconsistent. 

Cooper gets it done with defense, so they often have wins in the 40’s, and a win is a win so that’s just their style, and they’re good at it. Without doing the math, Dixie tends to average about 60+ points a game, but of course were held in the low 40’s when facing Cooper. 

I think that an argument could be made either way, and you wouldn’t be wrong. I just think that Dixie has a more explosive style than Cooper, and has the ability to score in bunches, and so does Highlands. With that you could say that Cooper is the team that can control the tempo and force a more low scoring affair with either Dixie, and Highlands. 

As you can see I could literally go around and around and around trying to justify one choice over the other, and at the end of the day I’d still lose sleep on it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UCME said:

Another game that factored into my thinking was that Cooper beat Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy 66-63 in overtime, and Highlands beat the next night the very same Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy 91-56.

On 1/17/2022 at 8:26 AM, B-Ball-fan said:

I hear what you’re saying, and I thought about that. 

With Dixie beating Highlands, that was a big statement win. Cooper did indeed beat Dixie by 2 points on a neutral court. 

Cooper is scheduled to play Highlands, and Dixie back to back in mid February so right before tourney time we will really get a good idea of how they match up with each other when it really starts to matter most. 

Both Cooper and Dixie, and even Highlands for that matter are pretty close, and maybe even too close to call. I try to look at their whole body of work, and how they are presently playing. To avoid listing the rankings as 2a, 2b, and 2c I just have to go with my hunch when they’re so close. 

One game with Cooper that stands out with me is a one point win over Lloyd, the same Lloyd who collapsed in their game against Campbell County, building a 20 point lead only to score a mere 6 points in the 2nd half, and ultimately losing to the Camels 59-57. Lloyd indeed has the talent, but at present are a little inconsistent. 

Cooper gets it done with defense, so they often have wins in the 40’s, and a win is a win so that’s just their style, and they’re good at it. Without doing the math, Dixie tends to average about 60+ points a game, but of course were held in the low 40’s when facing Cooper. 

I think that an argument could be made either way, and you wouldn’t be wrong. I just think that Dixie has a more explosive style than Cooper, and has the ability to score in bunches, and so does Highlands. With that you could say that Cooper is the team that can control the tempo and force a more low scoring affair with either Dixie, and Highlands. 

As you can see I could literally go around and around and around trying to justify one choice over the other, and at the end of the day I’d still lose sleep on it.

All 3 teams are close but one note on Cooper was that the Lloyd game was also their first home game in over a month and in that span they went 8-2 so going on the road, regardless of opponent is positive. It will be interesting when those Feb games take place. 

• Like 1