Covington Holy Cross 58 Hamilton (OH) 50

rjal

Final from Covington.  There was some high flyers and a battle of the big men today in a very athletic game.  Hamilton came out to a big lead and the Indians came back to tie it at the half and pull away for the win.

Congratulations to first year head coach Casey Sorrell on getting his first varsity win tonight for Holy Cross in his first game over a very tough Hamilton team. The Indians were led by junior guard Jacob Meyer with 35 points on 12-23 shooting and 8/10 from the FT line. The Big Blue were led by Elijah Givens with 22 points on 8 of 23 shooting. The Indians led by as many as 15 late in the 4th quarter. Junior center Sam Gibson with a couple nice defensive plays/blocks late in the game.

Unofficial stats from Holy Cross Radio -

Hamilton, OH (0-2) - 19 10 7 14 - 50

Cov Holy Cross (1-0)- 11 18 19 10 - 58

H (0-2) - Givens 22, Tolentino 10, Matthews 8, Avery 6, Holden 4.

HC (1-0) - Meyer 35, Z. Arlinghaus 6, Ward 6, Pulsfort 5, Gibson 4, Hoffman 2.

• Thanks 1

First and foremost, congrats to Casey and the young men on a nice win over a solid Big Blue club from across the river.  A win is a win is a win.

However, I'd be very concerned about the lack of balance in scoring, some teams will have the bobby and joes to make it really hard on Meyer, in spite of his amazing talent and athleticism, will the rest of the Indians be able to rise up and make big shots in those situations?  

I do think Casey will do great things down in Latonia, and I absolutely think they could (should) advance to the 9th Region Tournament this year.

• Like 1

Double Deuce I appreciate your comment and concern about scoring but it's one game in and they played a solid team from Ohio and came away with a nice win on opening night and you are going to already ask about balanced scoring already. Don't most star players who average 25 ppg get up most of the shots? Meyer was great last night on 12/23 shooting. I'll take that every night.

Also the Indians lost 3 key seniors from last year (McClendon, Hicks and Robinson) who did all the scoring (minus Meyer) last year so it may take some time to have these new kids develop their roles into varsity action for the first time.

1 hour ago, The Double Deuce said:

First and foremost, congrats to Casey and the young men on a nice win over a solid Big Blue club from across the river.  A win is a win is a win.

However, I'd be very concerned about the lack of balance in scoring, some teams will have the bobby and joes to make it really hard on Meyer, in spite of his amazing talent and athleticism, will the rest of the Indians be able to rise up and make big shots in those situations?  

I do think Casey will do great things down in Latonia, and I absolutely think they could (should) advance to the 9th Region Tournament this year.

Agreed.  I haven’t seen the boys team play in quite awhile with Covid etc, but from what I observed last night they do have some other players that they need to figure out a way to utilize.  Gibson didn’t seem to play a big role in the offense, but of course Hamilton had their own 7 footer.  They have Pulsford and Arlinghaus who are nice three point shooters who can contribute.  They just need to figure out a way to use all their weapons. That being said Hamilton was a big, strong, fast, deep team so overall a nice start for the Indians. 

4 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

Congrats to Casey on his first win.  I am sure Hamilton had their fair share of the bobby's and the joes.  This appears to be a very solid win.

Tough crowd, I will make sure to only say things that are glowingly positive without any observations that can be taken as a negative about Casey's guys.  So noted. 

In case you missed it:  I expect Holy Cross to make the Region Tourney, guess that COMPLIMENT was glossed over.  

Good luck this year.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Baseball Nut 24 said:

Didn’t mean any disrespect DD. I said I respect your comment only asking why after 1 game balanced scoring came up and gave reason why it might take time for guys to step up with so many new players in the rotation. My apologies. 

No need to apologize, nor any disrespect taken, so all good.  

Jake is terrific, my only point was and is, if he has to score 60% of their points, really good teams will take advantage of that.  Hamilton isn't a really good team.  No worries, I hope Holy Cross wins a ton of games, I like Casey a lot, I'm sure the supporting cast will develop and figure out their roles.  

I love what Casey and Ted have going on in Latonia, both teams on the uptick.