If given an opportunity will CovCath or Highlands run up the score on the other?

theguru

20 hours ago, theguru said:

Once you put a running clock on a team if you don't call off the dogs it is a character flaw that has no place in high school athletics. 

I disagree. 

I may stop throwing downfield and certainly no "trick plays," but I'm not going to completely abandon my offense. 

Just now, TheDeuce said:

I disagree. 

I may stop throwing downfield and certainly no "trick plays," but I'm not going to completely abandon my offense. 

Would you put your 2nd team in once you have achieved a running clock?

3 hours ago, theguru said:

Would you put your 2nd team in once you have achieved a running clock?

Generally speaking, if they have started a running clock in the first half, Cov Cath will keep starters in through the first series of the second half. I think the general assumption is that the reason for doing that is to make sure starters are keeping their gametime endurance up to snuff, and make sure that they're prepared to come out from the break at half and continue producing in the second half.

I agree with TheDeuce about not running trick plays to try to rack up more points though.

Running clock or not, there just isn't a good way to simulate real gametime pressure and the kind of opposition you face when you play a team that isn't your own scout team. For better or worse, your scout team knows the formations you run, knows your playbook, and has a good idea of what's coming against them in certain situations. As much as they may try, they just don't act or react in the same way a completely different team will.

• Like 4

On 10/11/2021 at 2:53 PM, theguru said:

I am thinking yes.  I think you want to send a statement to the other team not to bother in the playoffs.

What do you think?

Historically speaking, the running clock/large point spreads during the regular season seems to have motivated losers for the playoffs moreso than it has done any deterring. If you look at the 8 times in the series history where the teams A) had a regular season game that was decided by a 20+ point win, and also B) played each other again in the playoffs, every one of the games was closer in the playoffs, and only two of the playoff rematches managed to be won by 3 or more touchdowns. In two cases, the team that lost big in the regular season actually turned around and won in the playoff rematch.

Cov Cath 41-21 (Regular Season)
Highlands 14-7 (Playoffs)
Highlands went from losing by 20 points to winning by 7.

Cov Cath 42-6 (Regular Season)
Cov Cath 7-3 (Playoffs)
Highlands closed the gap from a 36 point loss in the regular season to a 4 point loss in the playoffs.

Highlands 48-18 (Regular Season)
Highlands 3-0 (Playoffs)
Cov Cath closed the gap from a 30 point loss in the regular season to a 3 point loss in the playoffs.

Highlands 70-26 (Regular Season)
Highlands 37-14 (Playoffs)
Cov Cath closed the gap from a 44 point loss in the regular season to a 23 point loss in the playoffs.

Highlands 35-10 (Regular Season)
Highlands 49-27 (Playoffs)
Cov Cath closed the gap from a 35 point loss in the regular season to a 22 point loss in the playoffs.

Highlands 52-22 (Regular Season)
Cov Cath 18-15 (Playoffs)
Cov Cath went from losing by 30 points to winning by 3.

Highlands 42-6 (Regular Season)
Highlands 28-13 (Playoffs)
Cov Cath closed the gap from a 36 point loss in the regular season to a 15 point loss in the playoffs.

Cov Cath 42-0 (Regular Season)
Cov Cath 38-21 (Playoffs)
Highlands closed the gap from a 42 point loss shutout in the regular season to a 15 point loss in the playoffs.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Historically speaking, the running clock/large point spreads during the regular season seems to have motivated losers for the playoffs moreso than it has done any deterring. If you look at the 8 times in the series history where the teams A) had a regular season game that was decided by a 20+ point win, and also B) played each other again in the playoffs, every one of the games was closer in the playoffs, and only two of the playoff rematches managed to be won by 3 or more touchdowns. In two cases, the team that lost big in the regular season actually turned around and won in the playoff rematch.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what makes this a big rivalry.

• Like 1

Just now, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Cov Cath 41-21 (Regular Season)
Highlands 14-7 (Playoffs)
Highlands went from losing by 20 points to winning by 7.

Cov Cath 42-6 (Regular Season)
Cov Cath 7-3 (Playoffs)
Highlands closed the gap from a 36 point loss in the regular season to a 4 point loss in the playoffs.

Highlands 48-18 (Regular Season)
Highlands 3-0 (Playoffs)
Cov Cath closed the gap from a 30 point loss in the regular season to a 3 point loss in the playoffs.

Highlands 70-26 (Regular Season)
Highlands 37-14 (Playoffs)
Cov Cath closed the gap from a 44 point loss in the regular season to a 23 point loss in the playoffs.

Highlands 35-10 (Regular Season)
Highlands 49-27 (Playoffs)
Cov Cath closed the gap from a 35 point loss in the regular season to a 22 point loss in the playoffs.

Highlands 52-22 (Regular Season)
Cov Cath 18-15 (Playoffs)
Cov Cath went from losing by 30 points to winning by 3.

Highlands 42-6 (Regular Season)
Highlands 28-13 (Playoffs)
Cov Cath closed the gap from a 36 point loss in the regular season to a 15 point loss in the playoffs.

Cov Cath 42-0 (Regular Season)
Cov Cath 38-21 (Playoffs)
Highlands closed the gap from a 42 point loss shutout in the regular season to a 15 point loss in the playoffs.

Thanks for taking the time to put all that together.

• Like 1