Is Stoops more popular than Cal?

The Flea Market

13 hours ago, Bert said:

I agree, Barnhart needs to extend his contract or watch another team steal him away.  If UK beats LSU did Stoops just cost Coach O his job and earn his next job if Barnhart doesn't extend his contract?

Since when did extended the contract matter once the bigger job comes calling? 

5 hours ago, ChickenWyngz said:

I’m trying to figure out what job would appeal to him.  I think Nebraska will come calling, I think he says no to them rather easily.  Miami just hired a guy, as did FSU.  Maybe….. Penn State if Franklin leaves.

9 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

I’m trying to figure out what job would appeal to him.  I think Nebraska will come calling, I think he says no to them rather easily.  Miami just hired a guy, as did FSU.  Maybe….. Penn State if Franklin leaves.

Nebraska will call a lot of big names because they think they're still big time. It's a hard no for anyone who cares about a career past their tenure in Nebraska. 

Penn State would call him, but not until Fickell says no, IMO. Maybe a couple of others too. 

22 hours ago, ChickenWyngz said:

If that's the case, why not just pay him 50K a years if he is just going to leave anyways for a bigger job?  Note the sarcasm to make a point.

Plain and simple, pay him enough to keep several programs from even bothering to make the call to him because they cannot exceed the pay enough to leave the good thing he has now at UK.  Now if Sark  doesn't make it at Texas, would Stoops turn that down?  Of course not.  Same with Bama if Lord Saban retires, or OSU or ND if their coaches were to get fired, retire, get hit by a bus, etc..  You just want to pay him enough to prevent him from leaving for a program that really isn't that much better than UK. 

The best example would be back which Coach Morris left UK for Baylor.  Back then, was Baylor REALLY that much of a better program??  Not really, but they cracked open the safe for Morris and he left.  Fortunately for UK, Rich Brooks turned out to be a better coach in the long run.  However, we now know we have a good coach so let's surround him with a moat made of money to make it difficult for other programs to steal him away.  I would be fine with it even if it meant my season ticket prices were to go up to help pay for the new contract.  The may not be necessary if the bump up in money coming from the new SEC contract starts rolling in.  Show him the money.  While they are at it, I would show some money love to the OC, the DC and Vince Morrow to make stealing them more difficult.

50 minutes ago, Bert said:

If that's the case, why not just pay him 50K a years if he is just going to leave anyways for a bigger job?  Note the sarcasm to make a point.

Plain and simple, pay him enough to keep several programs from even bothering to make the call to him because they cannot exceed the pay enough to leave the good thing he has now at UK.  Now if Sark  doesn't make it at Texas, would Stoops turn that down?  Of course not.  Same with Bama if Lord Saban retires, or OSU or ND if their coaches were to get fired, retire, get hit by a bus, etc..  You just want to pay him enough to prevent him from leaving for a program that really isn't that much better than UK. 

The best example would be back which Coach Morris left UK for Baylor.  Back then, was Baylor REALLY that much of a better program??  Not really, but they cracked open the safe for Morris and he left.  Fortunately for UK, Rich Brooks turned out to be a better coach in the long run.  However, we now know we have a good coach so let's surround him with a moat made of money to make it difficult for other programs to steal him away.  I would be fine with it even if it meant my season ticket prices were to go up to help pay for the new contract.  The may not be necessary if the bump up in money coming from the new SEC contract starts rolling in.  Show him the money.  While they are at it, I would show some money love to the OC, the DC and Vince Morrow to make stealing them more difficult.

If a bigger program comes a calling they don't have to exceed the value of the contract. They just have to match it, and honestly with the endorsement deals he could pull at a true football school vs a basketball school they may only have to come close to matching it.