Reds at Brewers (7/8 - 7/11)

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

I believe this Reds team has clearly demonstrated to management in this series where they stand and what they need. A win today would really put the pressure on Reds management to get this team the players they need to get into the playoffs.

Today's game is going to be fun. Playoff atmosphere. Things have heated up over the first 3 games. Ace vs ace on the mound. I am enjoying having a Cincinnati team in a game like this. Looking forward to it.

Serious question here to all that follow this thread.  The current bulk of the roster has shown a toughness and togetherness to this point in the season.  In fact, there have been many teams over the years who have had playoff success that compete the way that this team does.  Do roster changes from outside make the team markedly better if Bob doesn’t want to open the checkbook or do the returning players potentially give them that extra push down the stretch?  Closer is the biggest need imo, but what is available on the market is not worth a change to me at this point in time.

1 hour ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Serious question here to all that follow this thread.  The current bulk of the roster has shown a toughness and togetherness to this point in the season.  In fact, there have been many teams over the years who have had playoff success that compete the way that this team does.  Do roster changes from outside make the team markedly better if Bob doesn’t want to open the checkbook or do the returning players potentially give them that extra push down the stretch?  Closer is the biggest need imo, but what is available on the market is not worth a change to me at this point in time.

I hate to advocate for no moves. However, Sims, Antone and Lorenzen should all be back in the next couple weeks. Hembree has looked good and right now I like him as the closer over Sims. The thing I like about Hembree is he throws strikes. He doesn't pitch scared like so many of these Reds relievers. He attacks the strike zone. If you stack those four up, that moves Garrett, Osich and Brach to lower leverage roles in the 6th and 7th innings. That bullpen stacks up much better than what the Reds had the first half of the year.

BUT ... there is something about the front office making a move that inspires teams. It lets the team know we are in this fight with you. I don't know what that move is but the Reds need to find a move to make to keep this positive momentum flowing for the team.

One more comment before today's first pitch.

Libka, O'Nora, Eddings, Morales

There is pressure on that umpiring crew. It has not been a good series for them. On top of questionable strike zones and controversial calls, yesterday they ejected two former MVP's in the same game - Yelich and Votto. That is a reflection on them IMO. These umps need to get their act together today and get out of the way of the game. 

5 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Appreciate that reply. Please watch the video:

https://watchstadium.com/videos/eugenio-suarez-launches-go-ahead-homer-in-the-ninth-baseball/

The pitch to Suarez was exactly where you said Hader should have thrown it - "down and away". 

Nowhere close to where you need to pitch Suarez.  He is a sucker for down and out of the strike zone sliders.  That pitch was 1/3rd of the way up in the strike zone and not breaking away from him.  With that said, a down and away slider is a difficult pitch for a left-handed pitcher.

I'm merely saying that giving a .176 hitter on a striking out tear, a pitch like that for him to hit was a good break for the Reds.   

12 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Nowhere close to where you need to pitch Suarez.  He is a sucker for down and out of the strike zone sliders.  That pitch was 1/3rd of the way up in the strike zone and not breaking away from him.

I'm merely saying that giving a .176 hitter on a striking out tear, a pitch like that for him to hit was a good break for the Reds.   

OK. Got it. So you say Hader should have been afraid to throw a strike, thrown another ball low and outside the strike zone, hoped Suarez would chase it and gone to 3-0 if he didn't. Thanks for the clarification. 

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

One more comment before today's first pitch.

Libka, O'Nora, Eddings, Morales

There is pressure on that umpiring crew. It has not been a good series for them. On top of questionable strike zones and controversial calls, yesterday they ejected two former MVP's in the same game - Yelich and Votto. That is a reflection on them IMO. These umps need to get their act together today and get out of the way of the game. 

Couldn’t agree more!!  I’ve been watching baseball a LLOONNGG time and I sincerely believe this is the worst umpiring in a series I’ve seen!!

REDS WIN!!

Wow! What a huge series for the Reds taking 3 of 4 in Milwaukee against the first place Brewers.

All Star Castellanos was the hero today with a 2 out, 2 run single in the 9th off fellow All Star Josh Hader. The Reds bullpen outduels the Brewers stud bullpen. Just wow!

• Like 2