Sean Thompson is Paducah Tilghman's new football coach.

Per crittendencountyrockets.blogspot.com

"Thompson, the first Crittenden County graduate to become head football coach at his alma mater, has guided his teams to three straight district championships and three berths in the state quarterfinals while posting a record of 28-8 in three seasons. His team was 7-3 last year, losing to eventual Class A state runner-up Kentucky Country Day in the playoffs."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have said this before and had conversations with several football minds in the area. PT has the talent pool the next 5-6 years for at least a couple of championships. Good luck to Coach Thompson! I hope this holds true. 

• Like 1

PT most always has speed and athletes, and they have beat McCracken County several times but Mayfield has them frustrated the way PT did Lone Oak back in the day. Fan support is not anywhere near what it use to be, but a few come to every game. He'll have have his hands full, but if and when he beats Mayfield he will have done more than anyone else in the last 25 years. Good Luck Big Blue Tornado.

5 hours ago, Joe Tracy said:

PT most always has speed and athletes, and they have beat McCracken County several times but Mayfield has them frustrated the way PT did Lone Oak back in the day. Fan support is not anywhere near what it use to be, but a few come to every game. He'll have have his hands full, but if and when he beats Mayfield he will have done more than anyone else in the last 25 years. Good Luck Big Blue Tornado.

Kinda like hiring a coach at Michigan just to beat Ohio State.

Looks like a good hire and they will have some athletes for sure.

Mayfield has some very good athletes in the wings also , I like their chances against PT for the next 5-6 years for sure.

On 3/12/2021 at 5:57 PM, FB Head said:

I have said this before and had conversations with several football minds in the area. PT has the talent pool the next 5-6 years for at least a couple of championships. Good luck to Coach Thompson! I hope this holds true. 

At least a couple of championships seems like a strong prediction to me. But I guess we will see.

Good Luck to Coach Thompson!

I hope he doesn't feel he has to win a couple championships early on to be successful at PT.

That should be the goal, but not the expectation at PT IMO.  They have had SUCH turnover and unrest at the head coaching spot, in what, the last 10 years (and you wonder why they haven't beaten Mayfield in this time?) that a stable run deep in the playoffs with marked improvement of players should be the expectation correct?  It just seems the cart is ahead of the horse alot at PT right now.  Just get things stable again for the kids.  Instill a system the kids will know eventually coming into spring practice a couple years in a row.  You have to start here.  Championships may come, but you need stability.

I'm pulling for Coach Thompson to get a real chance and provide that stability and development for PT!  Go Blue Tornados!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Purple88 said:

Good Luck to Coach Thompson!

I hope he doesn't feel he has to win a couple championships early on to be successful at PT.

That should be the goal, but not the expectation at PT IMO.  They have had SUCH turnover and unrest at the head coaching spot, in what, the last 10 years (and you wonder why they haven't beaten Mayfield in this time?) that a stable run deep in the playoffs with marked improvement of players should be the expectation correct?  It just seems the cart is ahead of the horse alot at PT right now.  Just get things stable again for the kids.  Instill a system the kids will know eventually coming into spring practice a couple years in a row.  You have to start here.  Championships may come, but you need stability.

I'm pulling for Coach Thompson to get a real chance and provide that stability and development for PT!  Go Blue Tornados!

A ton of money has been poured into this program, not so much by the school, the last couple of years and the expectation is a state championship or bust. I'm with you 100% and it is an unfair expectation for this coach, but thats where PT base is at right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gcbleedblue said:

A ton of money has been poured into this program, not so much by the school, the last couple of years and the expectation is a state championship or bust. I'm with you 100% and it is an unfair expectation for this coach, but thats where PT base is at right now. 

Yes, but the expectations are based on the 8th grade bunch from 2 yrs ago. Those kids will need to be developed more to reach a State Championship level. What I saw was raw talent but I wasn't overly impressed with what I saw but they are young and with weight room work and good coaching a ring is possible.

• Like 1