Boyle County 31 Franklin County 28 (Class 4A State Championship) (OT)

theguru

So on first down, Franklin was shifting two guys from left to right to run #4 behind several blockers. Same play they scored on earlier, correct? But the center snapped it too soon causing it to be an illegal shift.

We’ll never know because of what happened, but that play was designed to get big yards and very likely score. Shows how close the margin between winning and losing is in football. 

• Like 2

Congrats to both teams on a hard fought game. I thought Franklin was gonna punch that TD in but it wasn’t to be. Congrats to Boyle on another State title and Franklin keep your heads up. Tomorrow’s games have a lot to live up to after the 2A and 4A games today. 

To me an impressive stat for Boyle Co. this their 9 state title since 1999 and 7 of those 9 were undefeated seasons. For Franklin Co. they were one play away and impressive would it have been for them in just 7 days to defeat Johnson Central on the road and Boyle Co. on a neutral field back to back. It was a heck of game to watch!

• Like 2

An incredible game from start to finish.  I know it's cliche, but I hated that one team had to lose this one.  Both teams played nearly flawless football throughout the game. There weren't too many penalties and no cheap shots that I saw.....very clean.  

When FC made the goal line stand in the 4th quarter, I thought it was just meant to be their night.........

Oh.. by the way the Broyles kid for FC is the real deal, totally impressed with his performance tonight. 

• Like 1

How bout them REBELS !!!!  Man, what a game.  Will McDaniel is one tough nut !!  Congratulations to Eddie James and Franklin County.  I think Franklin County has turned the page on what it takes to build a championship caliber program and I expect to see them making runs the next few years.  I think their talent pool is very good and is going to be a force to be reckoned with for at least the next few years.  If the administration supports the program like they should they are going to continue to build and compete every year.  Broyles had a dream season and I think his younger brother is a frosh and also a QB.  Moorman is a soph and is a beast.  #3 Ledford is a soph and led them in tackles tonight.  #44 was their second leading tackler tonight and is a Jr.  They lose Farrier and Broyles which is huge but they return a lot. 

Now for my Rebels.  Jagger Gillis has nerves of steel.  Clark had a whale of a game.  McDaniel obviously played unbelievable. Boyle the last four years has played in 3 finals, winning 2.  1 runner up and another 13-1 season losing in the semi's.  Out of those 4 teams I think this one might have had the best Oline from top to bottom.  The other 3 had at least 1 D1 guy but from tackle to tackle I'm not sure this one wasn't the best and most consistent.  The holding calls were killer.  The 4th down stands by FC were huge.  Boyle should have came away with some points at the end of the first half.  Franklin County just made big time play after big time play.  Boyle out gained FC by 144 yards but had little to show for it.  I wish we had tried to take it down the field and score a TD after the interception instead of playing for the field goal.  The tackle for loss on 3rd down was huge.  Clark's catch and run and cutback was so huge.  The interception by Avery Bodner, who is a freshman, was unbelievable.  A couple of comments about the officiating.  Don't know if the holding calls on Boyle were legit.  May very well have been.  But Zeismer was obviously held on FC first play from the 1 yard line in the end zone so that's a missed safety.  The block in the back when Gills was scrambling around seemed pretty lame.  But the incomplete pass called a completion in overtime was inexcusable !!! A couple of people from that end of the stadium thought Boyle got in on the first 4th and goal from the 1 but I had no vantage point from which to see it. 

Congrats again to the Rebels on number 9 and congrats to FC on a heck of a season.  FC better make sure and hold on to Eddie James. 

Jeff Hester, Boyle's DC for the last almost 20 years is my friend and I'm really going to miss him.  The young men he has mentored will miss him also.  To many young men Jeff has been more than just a coach. To many young men Jeff has been the only guidance and example of leadership and what it is to be a man of character and integrity that young men need in their lives, especially in today's world.  Boyle has had and does have a lot of great coaches.  But these shoes I'm not sure are fill-able.  I'm sure glad he went out with a win and I'm glad it was a defensive stand to win it.  Number 9 sure feels pretty good right now. 

WHO YA WITH..........

• Like 9