Open Job: Wayne County

• 2 weeks later...

Per Wayne County High School web site:

WAYNE COUNTY SETS TIMELINE TO NAME THE 11TH HEAD FOOTBALL COACH IN PROGRAM HISTORY

Wayne County High School athletics is pleased to announce the following timeline for the naming of a new head football coach.  The position will be officially posted this week, with applications accepted until Christmas.  After applications are reviewed the hope is to schedule interviews and have a new head coach in by the first to second week of January.

Wayne County is seeking to replace their longest tenured football coach in history as Shawn Thompson stepped down earlier last month. He plans to make the transition process as easy as possible and will remain a strong supporter of the football program that has meant so much to him. He will remain employed at Wayne County Schools full time in the district maintenance department.

The well-respected coach said “it was time for me to go.” He said he would not change his path in anyway, but coaching takes so much time, that could have been spent with his own family.

“I would like to thank the players, administration, and community for all of the support over the years. I’ve made a lot of good friends through football,” said Coach Thompson. “The main thing though has been watching the boys grow up to be men.”

The 1991 WCHS graduate, left as the winningest coach in program history with a 137-67 career mark, that included regional championships in 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017, highlighted by a State Runner-up finish in Class 3A in 2013.

“We know we lost one of the best coaches in the state and we’ll be forever grateful for Shawn’s commitment and dedication to Wayne County Football, said Wayne County Athletic Director Kevin Jones  “He was a good X’s & O’s guy, but he was better at developing relationships with each kid and molding them into young men.  Having said that we also know he’s helped make this one of the premier coaching jobs in this area and certainly in Class 4A.”

“We look forward to working with Principal Steve Thompson as we search for the best fit for Wayne County Football,” said Jones.

Wayne County High School Principal Thompson added, “Wayne County Football is one of the premier programs in the state of Kentucky; and under the guidance of Coach Thompson, reached heights never seen before in our school's history.  We will continue to strive for excellence as we move through this hiring process.  We are excited to see what the next era of Wayne County Football brings to our school and community.”

I've had a name on my mind since I heard Coach Thompson was hanging it up. Not really wanting to spill the beans on an exact name just yet as I have no way of confirming my suspicion, its just based on things I've heard in the past. Could be very wrong but I believe this will be an internal move.

6 hours ago, WCardinal said:

I've had a name on my mind since I heard Coach Thompson was hanging it up. Not really wanting to spill the beans on an exact name just yet as I have no way of confirming my suspicion, its just based on things I've heard in the past. Could be very wrong but I believe this will be an internal move.

Agreed on the internal move w this person .  As it should be.  

• 3 weeks later...

Wayne County Cardinal alum, Tyler Guffey, has been named the programs 11th head coach, per school website:

Wayne County Schools didn’t have to look far to replace the most successful football coach in school history, as he was already on the sidelines and in the hallway.  Tyler Guffey, a 2014 graduate of Wayne County High School and an assistant coach the past six seasons, was officially named the head football coach on January 12th.

“We are excited to hire one of our ‘own’ as the next head football coach at Wayne County.  Tyler was a tremendous player for many years and played the game the right way.  I have no doubt that’s how he will run things from the helm.  We are thankful for the many years of leadership from Coach Thompson and we look forward to the future with Tyler Guffey as our head football coach,” said Wayne County Schools Athletic Director Kevin Jones.

Guffey, a standout player for Wayne County from 2010-2013, has been the offensive coordinator the past two seasons, including the 2019 season that included a 10-2 mark and district championship.  Since Guffey has been on staff, as an assistant to former Head Coach Shawn Thompson, the Cards are 56-18, which includes regional championships in 2015, 2016, and 2017.

“Tyler Guffey sees the football program as an extension of his own family. He has the mindset to continue the level of championship football, that we have come to expect at Wayne County. But he also uses the game to teach life lessons outside of football that help mold our youth for their future, and that was important moving forward,” said Wayne County High School Principal Steve Thompson.

Guffey is regarded as one of both the toughest and greatest players in program history and the numbers certainly support that.  The new head coach holds single season records for passing TDs (32), and passing yards (3297), while holding school records for career passing yards (7056), passing TDs (70) and total TDs with (109).  Guffey was 34-6 as the starting quarterback in 2013, was the Class 3A Player of Year, District 4 Player of Year and a three-time All-District selection. 

Guffey’s record as the quarterback and assistant coach is 90-22, numbers not lost on the hiring committee, or former Head Coach Shawn Thompson.

“Tyler was a warrior on the field.  He knows what it takes to compete at a high level each Friday night.  Tyler will take great pride and work to no end to keep Wayne County Football a class act program on and off the field,” stated former Coach Shawn Thompson.

Tyler has been teaching Math full time at Wayne County High School for over two years. Previously, he taught sixth grade Math and also served as a Health instructor at the high school. He finished his Bachelor of Arts Degree from Midway College in Secondary Mathematics and the end of 2017. Both he and his wife, Monica, work in the Wayne County School system. 

https://www3.wayne.kyschools.us/1/News/7422#sthash.JUOm2Xtr.dpbs

———————————

I personally played on three teams when Tyler was the starting QB, and you couldn’t ask for a better leader in the locker room, something that is sure to carry over into being the next Head Coach. Congratulations Coach Tyler Guffey! Much deserved. Good luck, and GO CARDS!!!

• Thanks 1