Barbourville and Football?

TRUE REDHOUND

Where is Barbourville?

Do they not have football?

Its an independent school district within Knox County. Knox Central High School has a football program that will compete in Class 4A starting next season. Barbourville might have had football in the past, but its been a long time.

It was reported that 51 students (approximately 1/3 of student body in the HS) signed a petetion to begin a football program. After that who knows, but I am all for starting a football program at any school who can do it!

Just because 1/3 of the kids want the program doesn't mean they will start it. Barbourville would have to look at the financial feasibility of starting a football program. With a small, independent school district, money could be tight, unlike the situation at some county schools that have recently began playing (Gallatin, Clinton, Jackson, etc.). I can't imagine Barbourville picking up football any time soon.

Just because 1/3 of the kids want the program doesn't mean they will start it. Barbourville would have to look at the financial feasibility of starting a football program. With a small, independent school district, money could be tight, unlike the situation at some county schools that have recently began playing (Gallatin, Clinton, Jackson, etc.). I can't imagine Barbourville picking up football any time soon.

Jackson Co. was able to start a team despite having the highest unemployment rate of any county in the state, plus their basketball team is going to Maui to play in a Holiday tourney, so maybe Barbourville can come up with the financing to start up football as well.

Jackson Co. was able to start a team despite having the highest unemployment rate of any county in the state, plus their basketball team is going to Maui to play in a Holiday tourney, so maybe Barbourville can come up with the financing to start up football as well.

School district money comes from property taxes. Jackson County can draw taxes from the entire area. Barbourville can only draw from the city limits; Knox Central gets the county. With limited resources, Barbourville will have to decide if the money will consistently be there to provide for a team.

School district money comes from property taxes. Jackson County can draw taxes from the entire area. Barbourville can only draw from the city limits; Knox Central gets the county. With limited resources, Barbourville will have to decide if the money will consistently be there to provide for a team.

The property owners who live within Barbourville's boundaries should get a vote since their school tax rates would likely have to increase to fund it. I doubt it ever comes about though.

I wonder if there will be or if there already was an increase in Jackson?