Russell at Ashland Predictions/Updates

Tomcats vs. Red Devils   

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the win?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/16/2020 at 11:30 PM

It's always exciting when traditional rivals get together. But when both teams are ranked in the top five and have realistic state championship aspirations, the event is elevated ten fold. Throw in the fact that it's taking place at one of Kentucky's grand football cathedrals, Putnam Stadium, and you have the recipe for something truly special. 

Ashland and Russell know each other well, as they should. The two schools hook up annually at the varsity, junior varsity, and freshman levels. They met twice last year, the first of which was a classic at Russell before the Tomcats won more comfortably at home to secure a district title a few weeks later. There aren't many secrets in play here, if any.

For the winner, comes validation as a top contender for the ultimate prize and probable home field for a potential playoff rematch. For the loser, what follows will be a test of patience as they bide their time and work toward another opportunity.

Expect a four quarter war, with Ashland's Keontae Pittman and Russell's Nathan Conley (if healthy) playing central roles. 

Ashland has stretched out the all time series lead to 43-22 in the Tomcats' favor by taking twelve of the last thirteen meetings. 

4i51lu.thumb.jpg.e4e9806ec38e76ac1c8815c11c578976.jpg

If you're a fan of either team, you have to be pleased with what you've seen so far. Both returned enough from last year that high expectations were in place, but both lost enough that there were big question marks at positions that were major strengths a year ago. To this point, the performance at those positions speak well of the ability to develop and prepare talent by both staffs and the off-season work put in by the players.

Each side has a nucleus of players I would describe as known quantities. If Conley's ankle is good to go, expect him to be a major factor. Pittman will almost certainly be one himself. The senior classes are basically a push in terms of experience, but Ashland is more senior heavy this year. Russell's younger kids, like sophomores Lykins, Patrick, and Oborne, have drawn some rave reviews, and they'll have to show up big on Friday to supplement the upperclassmen. 

Jachimczuk gives Russell an edge and steady hand at the most important position on the field. Ashland's Pittman and JT Garrett have speed that Russell can't match. Both teams can defend. In other words, this is a toss-up on paper. 

Both programs are in great shape right now. It's been a long time since they were both this good at the same time, and the stakes have never been higher in this rivalry. If not for Covid restrictions, Putnam Stadium would be overflowing with anxious spectators and humming with electricity on Friday. It'll be up to the players to generate that buzz on their own now. Between the lines, this has the makings of another great chapter in the long history of a very spirited rivalry. Let's hope it lives up to its billing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GOREDDEVILS said:

Thanks to Mytowntv the game will be streamed this year. This is the first year mytowntv is able to do all Ashland football home games. If you can deal with the Ashland homers announcing you should be good to go.

I'm not gonna complain too much about the announcing in a year like this. I'm just glad to have a way to watch the game.

The funny thing is, for Ashland homers, they do a good job of impersonating Ironton homers. They drool all over the Fighting Tigers. 

1 minute ago, DevilMayCare said:

I'm not gonna complain too much about the announcing in a year like this. I'm just glad to have a way to watch the game.

The funny thing is, for Ashland homers, they do a good job of impersonating Ironton homers. They drool all over the Fighting Tigers. 

Agree about Ironton,sometimes you  would think they are based out of Ohio instead of Kentucky.

If Russell's healthy, give me the Devils in a tight one. I think the variety and depth they've displayed on offense puts them over the top tonight.

If Russell's dinged up, Ashland becomes a considerable favorite and might run away with it. We probably won't know anything until pregame.

18 minutes ago, DevilMayCare said:

Are they allowing multiple radio crews at Ashland? I've seen where some schools aren't, due to Covid. It keeps the press box from overcrowding. 

The kool hits 105.7 site broadcast schedule shows they are supposed to broadcast it. They didn't broadcast the Raceland/Washington County game last week probably for the reason you said.

Give me Ashland in a close one. Unfortunately Putnam won't be rocking like usual for this game so a part of the home field advantage will be lost. But I feel like these two teams are a lot alike, Ashland's speed gets them the win though. 

• Like 1