16thBBall Fan

Coin toss to be used to start Kentucky high school basketball games in 2020-2021

The KHSAA has decided during the 2020-2021 high school basketball season to not begin games with a jump ball but rather a coin toss. The home team will make the call. Also, another similarity to the football coin toss, the team which wins the coin flip will get the option of going on offense or defense. Should a game go into overtime, the visiting team will call heads or tails and if the game goes into multiple overtimes, the ball goes to which team has the alternating possession arrow. Very interesting really don't see the need for this personally. The kids are going to be standing close together on free throws and inbound possessions really don't see the worry about jump balls myself.

• Thanks 1

So utterly stupid!  That is all I got on this stupid decision.  

Totally off of the deep end.  Micro-management at its finest.

Did someone actually get paid to come up with this????

• Like 3

I was surprised I didn't see this anywhere last night.  One of the dumbest Covid-19 precautions I think I've seen.

Have they made a decision on fans in the stands or will they be empty?

6 hours ago, DragonFire said:

It's pretty irrelevant to me.

Kind of where I'm at. Micro-management? Yes. Useless decision? Basically. Relevant? Nope.

• Like 1

One of the dumbest things I've heard, and that's saying something.

That said, it doesn't matter either.

No big deal . . . saves some officials the embarrassment of trying to toss the ball straight up 9 feet in the air!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

The reasoning is to keep officials socially distant from the players as much as possible. It's really no big deal. It happens one time a game. It doesn't happen in practice, in open gym, on the playground. It does not affect the game in the slightest. Let's take the outrage and put it somewhere useful.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

Have they made a decision on fans in the stands or will they be empty?

I think that's going to be up to each individual school/district.

1 hour ago, I gotta go to work said:

The reasoning is to keep officials socially distant from the players as much as possible. It's really no big deal. It happens one time a game. It doesn't happen in practice, in open gym, on the playground. It does not affect the game in the slightest. Let's take the outrage and put it somewhere useful.

The jump ball is really nothing more than ceremonial.  If you never see another jump ball, basketball won't be any worse off.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, I gotta go to work said:

It does not affect the game in the slightest. Let's take the outrage and put it somewhere useful.

Basically agree!!!

However, this and a multitude of other infringements at some point becomes a matter of principle.

• Like 3

Wow!!!  Just don't know what to say. I will be VERY disappointed if fans are not allowed into basketball games but with decisions like this I don't think I have a chance to get to watch games from the stands. Football games that are OUTSIDE are overboard on restrictions. I can't image that basketball games inside won't be more than overboard!  I'm not a parent of a player so I think my chances of getting in are slim to none.  Hate to see this happening.  I think we are doing an injustice to our high school athletes.  I probably sat next to someone last year at a basketball game that had a cold or even the flu.  My choice to go see the game and I lived to tell about it.  At what point do we realize life has to go on??

• Like 1