Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coin toss to be used to start Kentucky high school basketball games in 2020-2021

Featured Replies

Pretty stupid but glad they get to play.

The game doesn't seem to be any worse off for alternating possession after the opening tip on held balls and the start of other quarters.  Surely better off than when there was a jump ball after every made basket.  If this is COVID-related it's laughable.  Otherwise it just eliminates a ceremony that has no practical impact on the game.

On 9/25/2020 at 7:59 AM, BiggestFan said:

Wow!!!  Just don't know what to say. I will be VERY disappointed if fans are not allowed into basketball games but with decisions like this I don't think I have a chance to get to watch games from the stands. Football games that are OUTSIDE are overboard on restrictions. I can't image that basketball games inside won't be more than overboard!  I'm not a parent of a player so I think my chances of getting in are slim to none.  Hate to see this happening.  I think we are doing an injustice to our high school athletes.  I probably sat next to someone last year at a basketball game that had a cold or even the flu.  My choice to go see the game and I lived to tell about it.  At what point do we realize life has to go on??

If they don't allow fans at ball games I think schools should be given TAXPAYER funds to set up a stream of the games your gonna have some schools that are gonna sell out tickets 15 mins they go on sell if limited capacity and some you can give tickets away and not have the limited capacity...I have went to 1 football game  this year would to have went to all of them but the school a nephew goes to was on the road and the stadium sold out in by Wednesday of that week also college coachs need some way to catch games it just takes one look to get a kid a scholarship to advance his education LOOK how many kids missed that look when KHSAA canceled the tournament we are in a trouble time need to adapt these SR kids in all sports deserve it they live for the spotlight and its like its being taken away.  

Isn’t this a change that had been discussed even before the COVID19 pandemic as not needed and will also put an end poorly tossed jump balls? 

Getting worked up over this is silly, IMO. The jump ball adds absolutely nothing to the game, especially at the high school level. It's symbolic, that's it. 

Stupid rule, how will this help?

On the one hand, this is not going to make a real difference in protecting the players or the officials.   So - a mostly pointless, worthless decision that changes the game.

On the other hand, as several have mentioned, this really doesn't change the game much.

I will say, however, that despite the fact it's only a once-a-game occurrence, that I will miss it.   I remember watching several teams over the years - Shelby County in the late 1990s comes to mind - that had a tremendous leaper jumping, meaning they got almost every tip.   And so they developed a set play off the opening tip, that usually resulted in a dunk.   It was a tremendously exciting way for the game to begin (even on the rare occasions when the play didn't work).   

It's an opportunity for exciting plays to happen ....and I'll miss that.   Hope it comes back next year.

Maybe the losing team should get to choose what goal to defend...  ?

31 minutes ago, ColonelMike said:

On the one hand, this is not going to make a real difference in protecting the players or the officials.   So - a mostly pointless, worthless decision that changes the game.

On the other hand, as several have mentioned, this really doesn't change the game much.

I will say, however, that despite the fact it's only a once-a-game occurrence, that I will miss it.   I remember watching several teams over the years - Shelby County in the late 1990s comes to mind - that had a tremendous leaper jumping, meaning they got almost every tip.   And so they developed a set play off the opening tip, that usually resulted in a dunk.   It was a tremendously exciting way for the game to begin (even on the rare occasions when the play didn't work).   

It's an opportunity for exciting plays to happen ....and I'll miss that.   Hope it comes back next year.

Maybe the losing team should get to choose what goal to defend...  ?

I Totally agree with your thoughts.

Who knew the coin flip would determine whether the game would be played?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.