Summer Workouts and Coronavirus

The KHSAA Board of Controls is meeting Thursday. What should they decide on summer basketball? I can’t imagine there being summer games between teams even in July but will they open up the option for schools to hold small group workouts? Would that be advisable? I’m interested to see what answers the KHSAA comes out with as the dead period ends. Not an easy position to be in to make that decision. I would think a small group (1 to a goal?) would be doable with social distance guidelines even now but I’m sure there are aspects I’m overlooking.

Definitely going to be interesting. I could see them opening up July 1 for individual/small group skill work.

I just cannot envision the KHSAA cancelling the regular 6/25-7/9 dead period. Especially for a winter sport like basketball. Too many coaches/families plan stuff outside of sports during that two week period. Run the dead period as normal, and let everyone get back at it on July 10th. Do basketball teams really need those two weeks of skill training? I know people want to get back at it. But if I'm a parent or coach who schedules vacation for the dead period, I'm not going to be happy if I now have to start practice (assuming vacations are possible, which it looks like they will be).

Edited by rjs4470

My guess would be the dead period remains untouched and the special dead period is not lifted beforehand. Come July 10th, you will see open gyms with no contact, no sharing basketballs, no groups over 10. That will probably ride out to October 15th when we will witness what the final determination for basketball will be.

I took another look at the state guidelines and what they said about youth basketball. Per those guidelines, it would be acceptable to have practices June 29 (no restrictions other than less than 50 people). If the KHSAA rolls with that, and eliminates or shortens the dead period, I think we will see open gyms approved, still no scrimmages. But unlike my earlier post, it may not include any “touching” restrictions. But I imagine every school will have a sanitation policy for gyms and balls.