Reason I Don't Love PPR

MJAlltheWay24

The BGP league is the first PPR league I've every played in and I do like it but I definitely don't love it and I would just prefer the standard scoring in all my leagues. However, I know that I'm in the minority everywhere and will just need to get over it.

But, here is an example of why:

Tarik Cohen gained a total of 29 yards this week but did so with 9 receptions (for 19 yards). So in a PPR league he scores 11.9 points.

Adrian Peterson gained a total of 81 yards this week, but no receptions. So in a PPR league, he scores 8.1 points.

I just don't get why Cohen should be rewarded for that. Peterson had the bigger impact on his actual game and yet gets outscored because Cohen averaged 2 yards a catch, which is atrocious. That is the major flaw in PPR scoring and why I prefer standard. I know that's not the norm but it's not an anomaly, stuff like that happens far too often. Last year in a game Barkley had 14 receptions for like 50 yards, a killer PPR night.

The BGP league is the first PPR league I've every played in and I do like it but I definitely don't love it and I would just prefer the standard scoring in all my leagues. However, I know that I'm in the minority everywhere and will just need to get over it.

But, here is an example of why:

Tarik Cohen gained a total of 29 yards this week but did so with 9 receptions (for 19 yards). So in a PPR league he scores 11.9 points.

Adrian Peterson gained a total of 81 yards this week, but no receptions. So in a PPR league, he scores 8.1 points.

I just don't get why Cohen should be rewarded for that. Peterson had the bigger impact on his actual game and yet gets outscored because Cohen averaged 2 yards a catch, which is atrocious. That is the major flaw in PPR scoring and why I prefer standard. I know that's not the norm but it's not an anomaly, stuff like that happens far too often. Last year in a game Barkley had 14 receptions for like 50 yards, a killer PPR night.

And Barkley probably also ran for at least 80 yards and a TD. Awesome awesome night and why he was an easy top 3 choice this year.

The first rule of thumb in playing PPR is throwing the standard scoring mindset away. The same reason you don’t like playing PPR is why I love it. I’d rather have a guy like Cohen on my team than a guy like Peterson. Peterson will get 20 touches and give you 14 points at the most if he scores a TD. Cohen will get 10 touches and give you 14 points without scoring a TD. If Cohen gets 15-20 touches then who knows what he will score for you. RBs who can catch and also get 20 carries are increasingly rare. Being able to get the RBs who are known for receptions like Cohen, Duke Johnson, etc can be lifelines during BYE weeks and sometimes are great flex plays. PPR takes some time to get used to but I hate the one league I am in that is still scoring with standard scoring. 85-83 weekly scores are boring as hell. :lol2:

The first rule of thumb in playing PPR is throwing the standard scoring mindset away. The same reason you don’t like playing PPR is why I love it. I’d rather have a guy like Cohen on my team than a guy like Peterson. Peterson will get 20 touches and give you 14 points at the most if he scores a TD. Cohen will get 10 touches and give you 14 points without scoring a TD. If Cohen gets 15-20 touches then who knows what he will score for you. RBs who can catch and also get 20 carries are increasingly rare. Being able to get the RBs who are known for receptions like Cohen, Duke Johnson, etc can be lifelines during BYE weeks and sometimes are great flex plays. PPR takes some time to get used to but I hate the one league I am in that is still scoring with standard scoring. 85-83 weekly scores are boring as hell. :lol2:

I gotta learn to get used to it because BGP ain't going back and my big money league voted to go .5 PPR next year (we all compromised). I just prefer standard scoring. I do not think a dude should get rewarded with extra points just because he caught a one yard pass. Hell, you can catch a pass for negative yards and still get positive fantasy points for it.

I gotta learn to get used to it because BGP ain't going back and my big money league voted to go .5 PPR next year (we all compromised). I just prefer standard scoring. I do not think a dude should get rewarded with extra points just because he caught a one yard pass. Hell, you can catch a pass for negative yards and still get positive fantasy points for it.

Love it. The more points the more better. :lol2:

I do two leagues each year. One is 1-PPR and the other is .5-PPR. We switched years ago and I have always seen and heard about the difference it makes in who you roster and how you rank the players. It has been my experience that the STUDS are still the best players and you want as many as you can get. You also want solid depth with upside potential. My draft strategy does not change for PPR or not. I use the idea that 'this guy is a good PPR choice' as a tie breaker, when deciding between two close choices. This most often happens in round 7-12, so it usually does not impact weekly outcomes that much. Guys like Cohen and AP are flex plays only. I would argue that Cohen is more boom/bust and AP is more consistent. To me it's not as much PPR or not, but which do you favor more risk or stability.