High-poverty and football

barrel

Here is an article about the subject.

Home - School Poverty and Football Success

You used to (and still do at times) hear people say programs just need to work harder. The reason for success in certain areas/programs was due to just out working others. The above article does a pretty good job of showing some of the obstacles poverty creates for programs.

The article also brings up an interesting idea of placing schools into a division if they meet a certain poverty level. It appears that this is a thing in other states. I have no idea what that would look like in Kentucky but it is an interesting idea.

I have thought often about the Geographic disadvantage some schools have. When I played, I lived a 10 minute walk away from the school. I walked home from practice many times. However, some of these county schools, a kid may live a 30 minute drive from school. If they don't get on the bus they may not have a way home after practice. Unless they have a process in place for this situation and I just am not aware, this could be a big problem for any schools.

So would a division for schools that meet a certain poverty level work in Kentucky? I know the KHSAA would never do it and I’m sure there would be a stigma that would go along with it.

Much like education I don’t believe many fully realize the obstacles some programs face.

So would a division for schools that meet a certain poverty level work in Kentucky? I know the KHSAA would never do it and I’m sure there would be a stigma that would go along with it.

Much like education I don’t believe many fully realize the obstacles some programs face.

I don't think you create a separate division, per se, but rather include it in your population formula that places teams in classes. For instance, some state associations use a multiplier for private schools, so if their enrollment is 500 then the multiplier makes it 600, and they potentially go up a class. You might use some type of divider for high poverty schools that would place them in a more competitive class.

Often times, for many years now, it’s common that we feed our players after practice, take them home after practice, and pick them up in the morning for school in some cases... it’s more than just coaching... Its a Family, and all are just as important as the other... it’s the most important trait for kids to learn. Show Up, Everyday and Grind....

Often times, for many years now, it’s common that we feed our players after practice, take them home after practice, and pick them up in the morning for school in some cases... it’s more than just coaching... Its a Family, and all are just as important as the other... it’s the most important trait for kids to learn. Show Up, Everyday and Grind....

I know exactly what you mean. Geography might be different but the obstacles are pretty much the same.

Don't some states class based on the percentage of students receiving reduced cost or free lunches? I like that idea better than a high poverty division.

The article refers to that statistic being used to determine the poverty level. I didn’t articulate it but that is what I was referring to. Either teams being placed in a division according to free and reduced lunch or even a divider instead of a multiplier like another poster mentioned.

It isn't just football. It is everything about the school. High poverty schools need more resources, not less. I know how blessed I was to attend the school I did. I believe that we need to provide the resources through our tax dollars to give every kid access to first class teachers, coaches and facilities.

Don't some states class based on the percentage of students receiving reduced cost or free lunches? I like that idea better than a high poverty division.

The only issue with that is that there are some districts that are doing well enough financially that they give all students free lunch. If that was the only criteria used, Ashland Independent would appear to be one of the poorest school districts in the state. I imagine the county schools in NEKY would have an issue with Ashland being given that designation.

The only issue with that is that there are some districts that are doing well enough financially that they give all students free lunch. If that was the only criteria used, Ashland Independent would appear to be one of the poorest school districts in the state. I imagine the county schools in NEKY would have an issue with Ashland being given that designation.

He is referring to free and reduced lunch by government standards. That is tracked by all schools, the state and federal government.

He is referring to free and reduced lunch by government standards. That is tracked by all schools, the state and federal government.

There are schools that opt to give all students free breakfasts and free lunches so no student feels stigmatized.

Ah okay. I didn't know that they tracked that if lunches are free district wide. The funny thing with that though is it would likely still put Ashland Independent school district right on the line between poverty and non poverty. Yet they dont suffer from the long bus rides along with the extra expenses that comes with that, etc. However the county and what I would classify as rural schools do.

Basically what I'm getting at is that while the reduced or free lunch demographic may be a good starting point, there is a lot more to being a rural school or school in poverty than that.

As far as football participation or problems for rural districts I believe that long distances to and from the school would be a bigger issue than how many kids get a free or reduced lunch. I personally know kids at Greenup County that spend roughly an hour each way on a bus to get to and from school, yet there are 5 public schools closer to them than Greenup County High school. If kids in that situation don't have parents that have a flexible work schedule, or friends and other family willing to help, it would make it hard for them to participate in sports.

When you look at state testing data one of the areas is students that qualify for free and reduced lunch. It is one of the achievement gaps schools attempt to close along with ethnic groups, special education and gender.

Transportation is a huge obstacle for rural areas. Distance, has money or access to cars are all other factors.

Then you have the programs that might be responsible for things that other districts pay for. That might be field paint, reconditioning of equipment, purchase of equipment and even uniforms. Programs that are more well off can and do provide their players with so many other things.