Paintsville 19 Beechwood 14

bugatti

Beechwood embarrassed Somerset last year, in a game that was called at half because of lightning. I am sure Somerset will be talking about that all week. Not looking good for Beechwood. Hope they can get healthy.

After tonight game between Somerset and MOCO and how Beechwood lost I’m sure your right Somerset will be licking there chops Beechwood may be in for a long night in Somerset next week. They are the real deal. Hope it’s a fun game but have a feeling the bunnies will be doing all the celebrating.

A couple rules questions in this one.

1. Paintsville was called for an illegal shift as both backs were in motion on the snap. The result of the play stood, and then marked back 5 yards. Isn’t the play blown dead on the snap or at least the penalty accessed from the line of scrimmage? Otherwise I’d have my receivers go in motion Canadian style and tell them to just run out at the 1 if I’m needing a big play.

2. There was a 2nd sideline infraction on Paintsville on a TD run. The TD stood, and the penalty accessed on the extra point. I was at a game years ago, and the same occurred as the official ran into a photographer. It may have been a Dixie vs CCH game where Dixie had the long TD called back because of it. Did the rule change, or was one of the games called incorrectly?

Beechwood got out to an early lead then Paintsville started to come back. At one point before the half the score was 14-13 Beechwood. The blue Tigers went ahead in the 4th quarter, up 19-14.

Beechwood mounted a drive with just over 5 minutes remaining in the game. They got down to the Paintsville 6 yard line. I believe it was third down and Beechwood snapped the ball. The pass rush was on, RB/CB Cole Stammer went through a crease and got beyond the line of scrimmage just outside of the left tackle and turned around. Hergott lobbed him a short pass. Stammer caught it and secured the ball as he spun around and scampered into the end zone. It was a tremendous call and the two skill players executed it to perfection. Touchdown Beechwood to take the lead! Unfortunately (for Beechwood), a penalty was called that erased the TD. Beechwood then turned the ball over on downs. Paintsville held on for the win.

I want to mention three key factors in this loss for Beechwood. The first is the beef up front. Painstville had some big boys that play both ways and this took a toll over the course of the game. By the end of the 2nd quarter, Paintsville's size seemed to wear on the Red Tigers. I sensed a change in the momentum to Paintsville and I think it was largely due to this factor. The second thing I will mention are the injuries. It was previously mentioned that the injuries were to LB/RBs. The center of the field is a rather important part of the game. I believe this will impact next week's game and beyond. The third item was the QB sacks that Paintsville got in the 4th quarter. They had some earlier in the game but these were critical. I believe the QB could have gotten rid of the ball rather than take the sack on several occasions. That being said, Hergott had several really good runs, even scoring twice, and had Beechwood in position to win the game. He directed the drive at the 5-minute mark and threw the pass that could have been the game winner, but it wasn't meant to be. He did his part to win this game.

Congratulations to Paintsville. The relief and happiness on their faces when the final gun sounded told you that they knew they were in a game they could have easily lost.

Both were applied correctly. In the first one it's a live ball penalty as the receivers can actually still get set. In order for it not to be a penalty they must both reset before the snap. In 2 the rule was applied wrong in the Dixie game a few years ago.

Both were applied correctly. In the first one it's a live ball penalty as the receivers can actually still get set. In order for it not to be a penalty they must both reset before the snap. In 2 the rule was applied wrong in the Dixie game a few years ago.

For the first one, shouldn’t the penalty be accessed from the LOS, and not from the end of the play?