Simon Kenton

I have said for years that Simon Kenton is the best job in the 8th Region and one of the best in the state of Kentucky. You are one of the only NKY schools in the 8th Region, one of if not the biggest school enrollment wise in the 8th, they seem to always have good players and a standout star year to year. I just dont understand how they are not better. When is the last time they were in a region final let alone the state tournament?

I have said for years that Simon Kenton is the best job in the 8th Region and one of the best in the state of Kentucky. You are one of the only NKY schools in the 8th Region, one of if not the biggest school enrollment wise in the 8th, they seem to always have good players and a standout star year to year. I just dont understand how they are not better. When is the last time they were in a region final let alone the state tournament?

In 2013-14 they lost in the 8th championship game in OT to South Oldham

You've certainly got a point, and the statistics always work out more in favor of the big schools. They have a bigger pool of potential athletes to choose from. But you can look throughout the region and see that it just doesn't always work out that way - there are other variables that can affect the team.

In some schools, other sports become the "preferred" sports, and other sports suffer because they can't get the best athletes. For example, I know at North Oldham, the "preferred" sports for the girls is volleyball and soccer. They excel at both - at the expense of the girls' basketball team, which - despite North having right at about 1,000 students - has never won a district tournament game in the school's existence - a period of 16 seasons so far and counting. They've never made it to the region, even for a game.

Meanwhile, their girls' volleyball team goes to the state tournament with clockwork regularity....

On the other hand, at Anderson County, the girls' flock to the basketball program first and foremost, even in middle school.

Still, as you've pointed out, Trent has had some really good players, but overall - speaking as an outsider from the southern half of the region - I think he's done a pretty good job. And I've gotten to know Trent pretty well since 2006, when SK joined the 8th. I would say he's had at least one team that probably should have won the title - I think we almost all thought they had the best team - but they lost in the final to a really, really good team. Was it an upset? Yes. A big upset? Not hardly. Bottom line is every good coach has a "fish that got away".

According to Niche.com, which ranks schools, and tracks various stats, SK is the largest school in the 8th, with 1,757 students. That ranks them 18th in the state. Looking at all the PUBLIC schools statewide - Oldham County is seven slots behind them at #25 with 1,576 students. South Oldham is #44 in the state, and third in the region with 1,287 students.

Others:

Grant County 59th in the state and 4th in the 8th region 1,175 students

Anderson Co 69th in the state and 5th in the 8th region 1,097 students

Shelby County 76th in the state and 6th in the 8th region 1,031 students

Collins 77th in the state and 7th in the 8th region 1,029 students

North Oldham 79th in the state and 8th in the 8th region 1,006 students

Spencer County 98th in the state and 9th in the 8th region 887 students

Henry County 133rd in the state and 10th in the 8th region 696 students

Owen County 152nd in the state and 11th in the 8th region 587 students

Walton-Verona 163rd in the state and 12th in the 8th region 526 students

Carroll County 166th in the state and 13th in the 8th region 523 students

Gallatin County 171st in the state and 14th in the 8th region 509 students