February 13, 20197 yr So Hagans gets the 2 quick fouls and goes into Calipari jail for 16 minutes of the first half. Never really gets into the flow of the game as he usually does. I know it’s conventional basketball wisdom to bench a player with 2 first half fouls. But why voluntarily take out a key player when he might not even get anymore fouls in the game? Let him play till he fouls out. Calipari does this all the time and I know most coaches do but it drives me crazy. First half points and defense count just as much as second half points and defense. So what if he fouls out with 16 minutes to go in the game? He would have played the same number of minutes.
February 13, 20197 yr I said that LSU was imo underrated and I believe that they showed that tonight. LSU put 4 players in double figures in having a balanced attack. LSU guards were key in their play, on both ends of the floor. Herro hit a couple of big 3's but also missed some that obviously would've helped. I'm not blaming Herro or any one player for the loss, there were plays missed that should've been made everywhere and in a one point game any of them could've made the difference. I thought that Washington stepped up w/ play in the 2nd half , scoring 20pts. again in this one shows his consistency as a go to type guy for this team. K. Johnson had a good game as well. Bottom line was that LSU came to play, weren't intimidated and did what they had to do to win another SEC road game, they haven't lost on the road in conference. I don't think that U.K. "lost" this one, LSU "won" it by making plays they had to make. Now … as for the final tip in, at first I thought that it was late but seeing the replay it showed it had left the hand in time. Yes, imo that was definitely off. goaltending w / the latter replay angle showing that the ball was in the cylinder. By rule, that can't be reviewed. That sucks but that's the rule. Is tough to lose on a no call like that but that's why I put my comments on the last play / score at the end of my post …. bc imo this one shouldn't have came down to that. Hopefully this team can throw this one off and be ready for #1 UT coming this weekend, a win on Sat. and the SEC race is back to within a game.
February 13, 20197 yr I know everyone is caught up in the angle that showed the tip in from above the basket, but the sideline angle was pretty clear that the ball was out of the cylinder. Tough way to drop a game on such a bang, bang call but there is enough video to think even if it was review-able the initial call was going to stand. Johnson blew the on ball assignment and the bigs had to react to help. End result is the weak side wide open for a last ditch tip and LSU made the play. I didn't see any way the call would have been reversed based on all the camera angles that were shown...
February 13, 20197 yr Second shot always beats you. Should have never come down to that shot. Give Tigers credit. Solid team whose length bothered UK. Cats didn't shoot it well enough and when they needed stops, they did not get them.
February 13, 20197 yr Missed FTs was the story to me. Can't go 16 for 23 and miss the front end and expect to win a pressure game like this. No question ball was in cylinder, but understand not reviewable if refs never made the initial call. Since no call all they could review is did the tip happen before the horn.
February 13, 20197 yr In the long run, I think this team has some serious issues. We have two guards who are scared to shoot the ball, which allows teams to layoff on PJ and the low post guys. I am not sure we face another team with the bigs like LSU (unless we face in tourney), but think this will come back to bite this team in the tourney. LSU gave them wide open three point opportunities, especially Hagans, and they did nothing. Plus, I am not sure Herro could guard me, and I haven't played ball in 20 years. Looking past this year, other than PJ and maybe Keldon, I do not see how any of these guys can be NBA guys this year. In fact, I think EJ has the most pro potential among all the guys currently on the roster.
February 13, 20197 yr Ashton Hagans has regressed majorly the last handful of games. Dude just isn't there right now. Can't lose that game. Inexcusable to get out-hustled and out-efforted in your own gym.
February 13, 20197 yr I know everyone is caught up in the angle that showed the tip in from above the basket, but the sideline angle was pretty clear that the ball was out of the cylinder. Tough way to drop a game on such a bang, bang call but there is enough video to think even if it was review-able the initial call was going to stand. Johnson blew the on ball assignment and the bigs had to react to help. End result is the weak side wide open for a last ditch tip and LSU made the play. I didn't see any way the call would have been reversed based on all the camera angles that were shown... Good analysis. However, the overhead shot of the goal is conclusive. It is conclusive because it shows the best view of the invisible cone above the rim. The other angle is fools gold because it shows a side view that can not reveal how much, if any of the ball existsin that cone. :thumb:
February 13, 20197 yr Missed FTs was the story to me. Can't go 16 for 23 and miss the front end and expect to win a pressure game like this. No question ball was in cylinder, but understand not reviewable if refs never made the initial call. Since no call all they could review is did the tip happen before the horn. FT’s beat the Cats. Some of our better shooters hit three more and we don’t have this discussion.
February 13, 20197 yr I said that LSU was imo underrated and I believe that. You were right. Not sure where I would rank them, but that's the best team UK has played in conference thus far.
February 13, 20197 yr You were right. Not sure where I would rank them, but that's the best team UK has played in conference thus far. They remind of that team that looks completely discombobulated all season long yet has a gaudy record and gets a 3-4 seed in the tournament. Then they go out and get worked by a 13-14 seed.
February 13, 20197 yr Will Wade, “I told my guys we’re playing this years UK team, not John Wall or KAT.” Ouch... If his reference was comparing this year’s team to the 2010 and 2015 UK teams he is correct, this team is not as good as either. It’s a good team but not on the same level as those two.
February 13, 20197 yr A lot of time on plays like the last one of the game last night, I think the defensive team is better not fully pressing. Only takes one guy to get majorly beat or spun around as Keldon did and you get that result. I probably just have two guards up there deny Waters the ball. Let the rest catch it heading away from the basket and fall back some. Don't let them get a full head of speed and spin you around.
February 13, 20197 yr You'd think with all that height and length that LSU had, you might have seen Nick Richards a little bit more. He played 3 minutes last night. Shame he isn't doing enough to see the floor more.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.