Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

LSU 73 Kentucky 71

Featured Replies

You'd think with all that height and length that LSU had, you might have seen Nick Richards a little bit more. He played 3 minutes last night. Shame he isn't doing enough to see the floor more.

I don't get it sometimes with Cal. He gets way too emotional and yanks guys too easily and doghouses them. Drives me nuts.

  • Replies 125
  • Views 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awful way to lose, but UK didn't deserve to win with their ineptitude the final 10 minutes. Waters was the difference in the game.

If his reference was comparing this year’s team to the 2010 and 2015 UK teams he is correct, this team is not as good as either. It’s a good team but not on the same level as those two.

 

I think he was saying, there’s nothing to be afraid of here.

I think he was saying, there’s nothing to be afraid of here.

 

In other words, effectively what any coach in America would say when going into a historically great program's house.

I don't get it sometimes with Cal. He gets way too emotional and yanks guys too easily and doghouses them. Drives me nuts.

 

Agreed. There is no excuse to only playing Richards 3 minutes. Cal keeps blabbering that they need him to reach their full potential, but he refuses to give him any chances to contribute. It's near impossible to do anything when you get yanked for every tiny mistake. Zero chance I stick around if I'm Richards. I'd probably already have bolted honestly.

So Hagans gets the 2 quick fouls and goes into Calipari jail for 16 minutes of the first half. Never really gets into the flow of the game as he usually does.

 

I know it’s conventional basketball wisdom to bench a player with 2 first half fouls. But why voluntarily take out a key player when he might not even get anymore fouls in the game? Let him play till he fouls out. Calipari does this all the time and I know most coaches do but it drives me crazy. First half points and defense count just as much as second half points and defense. So what if he fouls out with 16 minutes to go in the game? He would have played the same number of minutes.

 

I get what you are saying. However last night is a bad example to use to prove your point of putting him back in with 2 fouls in the 1st half. There was zero reason to put him back in during the first half. UK in the first half was playing good without him. Quickley actually looked better on defense than Hagans in this one, even before Hagans got 2 fouls. UK had a 8 point lead with Quickley playing most of first half. If UK played bad or was struggling, then I get your point. However the team was doing good without him, so for last nights game at least. There was no reason to send him back in with 2 fouls.

In the long run, I think this team has some serious issues. We have two guards who are scared to shoot the ball, which allows teams to layoff on PJ and the low post guys. I am not sure we face another team with the bigs like LSU (unless we face in tourney), but think this will come back to bite this team in the tourney. LSU gave them wide open three point opportunities, especially Hagans, and they did nothing. Plus, I am not sure Herro could guard me, and I haven't played ball in 20 years.

 

Looking past this year, other than PJ and maybe Keldon, I do not see how any of these guys can be NBA guys this year. In fact, I think EJ has the most pro potential among all the guys currently on the roster.

 

I always find it interesting how people bring up Herros defense. When his defense is not that bad. Yet people never mention Keldon Johnsons defense. Keldon Johnson gets beat off the dribble more than anyone on the team. Hence, why if you notice Johnson usually gets yanked by Cal a lot more from games than Herro. Johnson last night was the big reason why LSU scored. Johnson allowed his guy to drive straight to the hoop.

 

Also you said 2 guards who are scared to shoot? Besides Hagans who is the other guard? Quickley whenever he is in the game, definitely has no problem shooting and in fact may shoot to much once in.

Missed FTs was the story to me. Can't go 16 for 23 and miss the front end and expect to win a pressure game like this. No question ball was in cylinder, but understand not reviewable if refs never made the initial call. Since no call all they could review is did the tip happen before the horn.

 

FT’s beat the Cats. Some of our better shooters hit three more and we don’t have this discussion.

 

What's funny is the Cats missed 7. With 4 of those misses coming from Keldon Johnson. Yet Keldon was able to hit both free throws at the end to tie it.

What's funny is the Cats missed 7. With 4 of those misses coming from Keldon Johnson. Yet Keldon was able to hit both free throws at the end to tie it.

 

Yep. Youth hasn't learned that every point is valuable when playing against an evenly matched opponent.

Yep. Youth hasn't learned that every point is valuable when playing against an evenly matched opponent.

 

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. LSU is not close to Kentucky talent-wise.

I don't get it sometimes with Cal. He gets way too emotional and yanks guys too easily and doghouses them. Drives me nuts.

 

Baker had a wide open three and he got yanked right away when he missed. I wonder if its because he didn't follow his shot or something.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. LSU is not close to Kentucky talent-wise.

 

Talent wise, I agree. Performance wise, I'm not so sure. LSU played their game and UK played theirs and they were pretty evenly matched for those 40 minutes.

Agreed. There is no excuse to only playing Richards 3 minutes. Cal keeps blabbering that they need him to reach their full potential, but he refuses to give him any chances to contribute. It's near impossible to do anything when you get yanked for every tiny mistake. Zero chance I stick around if I'm Richards. I'd probably already have bolted honestly.

 

I have to think that he doesn't get it done enough in practice to only get 3 mins last night.

Baker had a wide open three and he got yanked right away when he missed. I wonder if its because he didn't follow his shot or something.

 

Cal picks a couple players each year that he refuses to allow to play through a mistake or a missed opportunity.

 

Then he has other guys, like Travis and Hagans, that he allows to make mistake after mistake without repercussion.

Talent wise, I agree. Performance wise, I'm not so sure. LSU played their game and UK played theirs and they were pretty evenly matched for those 40 minutes.

 

Kentucky played incredibly poorly last night.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.